close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homemade dog food recipe

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by mjb1, Apr 28, 2007.

1. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

Please forgive me for cross-posting this in GNG - I just wanted to make sure people here saw it too, just in case some don't frequent the other:

Cgwahl PM'd and asked for my dog food recipe that I'd written about some time ago on a thread. Apparently I'd stopped checking responses too early and a couple of people were asking for my recipe. Sorry! Here it is:

Maya & Raven’s Basic Fresh Food Diet
    (75-85 lb dogs)

~~~
    MORNING
    1 - 2 turkey necks (soaked in warm water till room temp)

EVENING
    1 can of Jack Mackerel or Salmon
    -OR-
    1-2 pounds raw hamburger (occasionally with calf’s liver / kidneys)

-PLUS- (mix into evening meal)
    1 raw egg
    1/4 - 1/3 cup plain whole milk yogurt
    1/3 -1/2 cup cottage cheese
    * 1/2 tbsp Berte’s Immune Blend
    ** 1 tsp Berte’s Green Blend
    4 capsules fish oil or salmon oil (4,000 mg total)
    1 capsule Flexile Plus (1500mg Glucosamine, 1200mg Chondroitin, 100mg Bromelain, 120mg Manganese Acsorbate) . . . this is because my rotties are OLD doggies and need the joint support.

For my little pug-a-lug, the recipe is the same - just smaller quantities, and no Flexile Plus (young doesn't need it). Also, the pug eats chicken necks (4) for breakfast, not turkey necks. (!)

The Berte's Immune Blend: One tablespoon contains Vitamin A (5000 IU), Vitamin C (4000 mg), Vitamin E (800 IU), Vitamin B Complex (100 mg), Bromelain (100 mg), Glutamine (1500 mg), Arginine (1000 mg), Selenium (75 mcg), Pancreatin 10 mg providing a minimum of, Protease (2,000 usp units), Amylase (2,000 usp units), Lipase (160 usp units) and Acidolphilus (225 mg) , Chicken Liver Powder, and Whey.

The Berte's Green Blend I'm not sure they actually need, no research supporting need for veggies or vegetation - but just in case (since I don't feed veggies) I do give it to them: Contains Dried Sea Vegetation, Alfalfa Meal, Blue-Green Algae, Spirulina Powder, Iris Moss Powder, Dulce, Foenugreek Seed, Anethol-Fennel, Lemon Peel Powder, Garlic, and Dulse Powder.

The Berte's Daily Blend (instead of the Immune Blend) is just fine for most dogs, but my rotties are very old now (past their lifespan averages) and I'm just wanting to keep them around and give them a little extra to stay healthy in their prime of life.

By the way, I've been feeding this recipe now for over TEN YEARS and my girls are very healthy and remain active in their old age, are not related so it can't be just genetic good luck health, and never have needed dental cleaning (per the vet, who's quite impressed at their health, especially with their lovely teeth!).

Extra nice bonuses of feeding fresh, real food besides good health: A LOT less poop (because their bodies actually USE the food they eat much better than commercial), and all our visitors remark: "Hey, your dogs don't SMELL like dogs." 'nuff said.

Berte's products can be purchased at: www.b-naturals.com

There are great articles in the newsletters section. The author of the site, Lew Olson, is the person I consulted with originally to formulate the fresh food diet that I ended up with over 10 years ago. This was before she even developed her Berte's line of powdered supplements and we did everything by "scratch."

If you have questions, please respond and I'll do my best to keep track and reply this time!

~Michele

P.S. For my two cats, I cheat a bit and use a mix from www.felineinstincts.com "My Natural Cat" - but this is just a mix that I add to ground turkey (or lamb or beef) and liver. So, it's only half cheating.

Gratuitous furry fotos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

Awww! I love the two snub-noses cuddled together. That's precious. Good looking animals you have there.:thumbsup: