close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homemade bullet sand trap/backstop

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by beala, Jan 30, 2010.

1. beala

beala

Hi all,

I live in an apartment, and so the problem I have is that there isn't safe direction (neighbors on all sides, except up). After doing a bit of searching, I've found several people claiming that you can fill a 5gal bucket with sand, and use that as a safe direction/backstop (aim the gun down into the sand). I have two questions about this:

1) Has anyone actually tested this? If so, with what ammo? Can it stop JHP 9mm +p+ (coming out of a Glock 19)? What about FMJ +p+?
    2) What type of sand is best? I filled mine with about 60lbs of "play sand" (ie the type you'd fill a kid's sandbox with). Home depot also sold "tube sand" but I thought the grape-sized rocks might create a ricochet hazard.
    3) Do you think I could put a thick piece of steel below the bucket to make sure nothing gets out the bottom? I'd rather risk it ricocheting back at me, than risk it going into my neighbor's apartment. How thick would the metal have to be?...and where could I get it?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything using the search function (I've read about plenty of people making them, but nobody actually putting it to the test). Also, really I'd just prefer to test it myself, but I live in a city, so I don't really have a place I could test it out.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This isn't for target practice! This is to be used as a safe direction for when I need to pull the trigger on my unloaded glock prior to cleaning! Sorry for the confusion!

EDIT: Added "safe direction" to the title. Hopefully that will prevent additional confusion.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. Chainlink

Chainlink

My question is why do you need one in an apartment?

3. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

My question too.

4. beala

beala

Hi Chainlink,

I guess I'm worried about how I have to pull the trigger in order to field strip and clean my G19. If I'm ever unlucky/stupid enough to cause an ND, and it ended up in my neighbor's apartment (or worse) I'd never be able to forgive myself. The sand trap costs <$10 to make, so I figured, why not?

But, I'm pretty new to this, so I'm definitely open to other suggestions! (not sure what I'd do with the 100lbs of sand I bought, though! :p )

-beala

5. DaveCharlie09

DaveCharlie09

:popcorn:This is going to be interesting.:whistling:

6. HighwayStarPP

HighwayStarPP bang bang bang

i have an idea, dont dry fire the gun. problem fixed.

7. DRGNSLR

DRGNSLR

beala:

I know that I'm a new member and you may well be pulling a joke on me but I have to ask; are you serious about shooting a weapon inside an occupied apartment with, potentially, other occupants in adjoining apartments? :shocked:

If you are serious, I'm stunned! Please consider:

a. If you are shooting close enough to the bucket that you won't miss (a couple of feet??) the only training/purpose that I see out of such a stunt would be to hear the gun go off and go bang.
    b. If you are far enough away to actually practice sight alignment, etc. you may very well miss the bucket causing a whole s***storm of problems for you.

Now iffen you're just joking around you'll have to give some of us more than two posts to get used to your humor For now, I'll just officially state that I'm glad I don't live next door.

After seeing your 2nd post on this thread, I understand what you want to do. Why not try this method: 1) drop the mag, 2) cycle the slide twice while looking into the chamber making sure no rounds are loaded, 3) point in safest direction (up I think you said) and pull the trigger. Works every time for me.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  8. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

9. farley45

farley45

You must to field strip to clean...

I don't know about the sand, etc... but if you look on the web there are places that make these "safe stops" or whatever that are designed for the exact purpose you are looking for.

10. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Just keep it unloaded and check to see if the chamber is empty before you fire. I get paranoid too sometimes and I rack the slide like 10 times.

11. beala

beala

Ohhhhh I see the problem! I promise I'm not doing target practice in my apartment! This is just a safe-direction for when I need a place to aim my (unloaded!!!) gun and pull the trigger, prior to field stripping and cleaning!

12. farley45

farley45

He said he was worried about dry firing the weapon prior to field strip/clean.

13. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

I have a free solution to your problem. Be a safe gun owner, and follow one of the basic rules of gun owning/handling. ALWAYS CHECK THE CHAMBER TO MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED. Dont just pull the triger and hope. Before ever doing anything to any gun the very first thing you do is pull the slide, or bolt or whatever the action may be. Pull the slide back check, visually and preferably physically with your finger that there is not a round in the chamber. %98 of my guns I know are unloaded, reguardless I check each one before doing anything to it.

14. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

That does not solve the problem of having to violate 1 of the four safety rules if there is no safe direction to aim the gun. Being absolutely sure the gun is unloaded is not a substitute for the other rules.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

to answer your question, YES a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand fill stop anything your handgun can fire .. even high powered 500 linebaugh soft points ..

16. beala

beala

Thanks a bunch! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Also, I am trying to be a safe gun owner, thus the homemade safe direction.

Yeesh... I think I'll go back to lurking now...

17. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Make sure the gun is always kept facing something bulletproof? I don't keep my gun aimed at my doorway but I don't think beala needs to keeps his in a bucket of sand.

18. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

With that one simple step you know fully without a shodow of doubt that the gun is unloaded. Visiual/physical, no need for buckets of sand, remove mag check chamber. Done.

19. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Those are the rules that I use in my safety regimen. Because of that I need a safe place to point the gun regardless of anything else. If your system works for you and you never have an accident that is great but I prefer a little more redundancy when it comes to gun safety.

20. farley45

farley45

Don't get too upset about it, you should continue to ask questions and participate, that is why GT has so much great information.

If you didn't think you had a safe enough backstop then I say good on you for trying to be as safe as you can. There is never a problem with people being "too" safe around firearms.