Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
IYAAYWOT
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the pastor of a small church just outside the city limits of Bossier City, LA. I was out making hospital visitations Monday afternoon and when I returned to the church office there was a young woman curled up under the awning covering our breezeway. I asked her if I could help. She said she was kicked out of her parents home and was dropped off at the church with just the clothes on her back and a few belonging in her backpack.

I asked why she was dropped off at the church. She shrugged her shoulders and said she was told that we could help her. She said that she had no other relatives in the state and no friends. She's 25 and strikes me as being mildly retarted or at least sub-100 IQ. She was completely at a loss as to how to live on her own.

I took her to the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to get a hot meal and warm bed for the night. After spending about two hours working with her, when I finally had to leave she broke into tears.

It seemed obvious to me that she is "special needs" and burns me up that someone would drop her off like an unwanted puppy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sometimes the relatives may feel at their wits end as well. However, in this day and age, people should know (or can readily find out) what assistance is available in their location, which implies that perhaps her relatives are not the brightest bulbs on the tree either! I volunteer at a local cold night shelter and with a local organization called Mission House and just about everyone has heard of them. We are seeing a lot of "normal" people fallen on hard times with no local family, but many others have serious psychological problems that should be treated.
Peter.

·
Prime Example
4,913 Posts
"He saith unto him the third time, Simon, [son] of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."

Good work, Preacher. Hopefully she'll get the care she needs, and you made an impact in her life, that she knows someone cares.

·
Florist
20,081 Posts
Yeah, I agree that what the guardian/family did was terrible. But maybe they cared for her for 25 years and finally reached the end of their wits and abilities.

Without knowing anything else, the guardian/family might have in the past tried other avenues for help and assistance but were unsuccessful. Or they really didn't know what else to do. And if they dropped her off at a church (instead of, say, a mall), they probably did care (even if only a little) about her.

Or she's a run-away and just told you her family abandoned her.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Have you considered contacting adult protective services? They may be able to place her in a program provideing housing and 24hr care. They may also be able to figure out the "whole story". The only problem is that it usually take a long time for a spot in a program to become available.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Sometimes the relatives may feel at their wits end as well. However, in this day and age, people should know (or can readily find out) what assistance is available in their location, which implies that perhaps her relatives are not the brightest bulbs on the tree either! I volunteer at a local cold night shelter and with a local organization called Mission House and just about everyone has heard of them. We are seeing a lot of "normal" people fallen on hard times with no local family, but many others have serious psychological problems that should be treated.
Peter.
People also abandon their elderly parents and leave no identification, medical information, medication, etc....all the while continuing to cash mom or dad's SSI check.

·
Banned
3,271 Posts
You did what you could and what was right!
Some special needs people feel their family owes it to them to take care of them and even though they get a disability check they think the family should still supply their food,clothes,cell phone,cable etc...even into their twenties and on! They don't try to make anything easier on the family taking care of them either. Not all or even most but a few feel entitled and use their disability as a guilt trip on the parents!
Maybe she was one or maybe not. Either way you did the right thing!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
So, someone likely got her dropped off on them...so they took her for a ride in the country and dropped her off in your lap. You then promptly took her for a ride further along and dropped her off at the shelter.

Judge not lest ye be judged, Pastor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
So, someone likely got her dropped off on them...so they took her for a ride in the country and dropped her off in your lap. You then promptly took her for a ride further along and dropped her off at the shelter.

I'm reading it like he took her to where the help was.

Now, I would be following up with calls to make sure the mission doesn't just let her walk out the door, but what can a church pastor do with a mentally handicapped woman under severe emotional distress?

Anyhow, this story has ruined my day. Sad, sad, sad all around.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
How twisted would it be if she were faking it. (According to our medical social workers, it's not uncommon...which blows my mind!)

·
NRA Life Member
741 Posts

What do you suggest he should have done?

·
Registered
16,857 Posts

What would you have done?

·
Semper Paratus
28,358 Posts
He has no suggestions he is judging without judging!

·
Registered
27,987 Posts

This is possibly the most ignorant(and I said ignorant, not dumbest) post in the history of GT.

IGF

·
Registered
30,883 Posts

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
This is possibly the most ignorant(and I said ignorant, not dumbest) post in the history of GT.

IGF
Go over to the hot sauce/punishment thread! :rofl:

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Go over to the hot sauce/punishment thread! :rofl:
I actually didn't think that was to big of a deal(the actual punishment). Yeah, some of the comments were ignorant, but not on the level the one above.

IGF

1 - 20 of 66 Posts