close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homebrew beer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by aerod1, Mar 27, 2010.

1. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

I went to a "homebrew class" today at my church to learn how to brew my own beer. We are now going to have a homebrew tasting contest on May 29th. This gives us time to brew our beer because it takes weeks to do this.
    Does anyone brew their own beer and if so what is your favorite brew? I was given the kit by a member who doesn't drink beer but came to support the class and brought the most people as guests, thus he won the brew kit. This looks like fun!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I enjoy homebrewing, but only use kits for the sake of time. IPA's are pretty easy and come out well. The only advice I can offer is use corn sugar instead of cane, don't use municiple tap water (chlorine, etc. is rough on yeast) and keep everything clean. Have fun, and yours sounds like a church that gets it. HH

3. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

My understanding is pasteurization destroys taste. That's why home-brewed beer is so good.

I'm not a dark beer drinker but the best beer I've ever had, by far, was some home-brewed dark beer.

4. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

Yep, Our church has "range days" also. We get the local gun range to open two hours early for us on a Saturday. Then when they open for the general public we stay and shoot more. We use these events to bring new people into the church
    Christians can have fun too.

5. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

I approve of this post!!

Brewing beer is a great hobby - it's very satisfying.

Favorite beers: Porters, IPAs, and "Skull Splitter."

Forget about "Charlie P"... and learn from this guy: http://www.howtobrew.com/

6. as400guy1

as400guy1

I home brew. The easiest way is to get a "Mr. Beer" kit. Easy, fun and the results taste great. Only down side is that a lot of home brewers look down on it, though my stuff is better tasting then theirs.

7. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

I am a new homebrewer. I brewed my second batch a few days ago. My first was an American Cream Ale. It turned out great. The current brew is a Honey Kolsch. I also added the zest from an orange and lemon. I will also dry hop this one in the secondary. Planning on getting into all grain and kegging.

8. TomZ

TomZ Lifetime Member

<Has done some homebrewing. Buy quality equipment, you'll outgrow the "food grade plastic pails" quickly. Buy glass carboys instead. Cleanliness is #1. Cleanliness is #2. Cleanliness is #3. Buy or borrow a wort chiller. The time between the end of the boil and pitching the yeast is the most critical for spoiling a batch. Chillers decrease the time the wort is exposed to the air and potential contamination. I prefer the Wyeast Labs liquid yeast to dry yeasts. Temperature control is very important, a cool basement is ideal. Bottling is a pain, refer to rule #1-3. 5 gallon soda kegging systems are awesome, but expensive. Kegging isn't difficult, just pricey for someone who is not committed to the hobby. Recipes are all over the 'net. Have fun, keep detailed notes and enjoy.

9. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Been a home brewer for 12 years now...making mostly Scot's Ales.

It's a great hobby. There are a few guys here who are very serious about it.

10. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Yup, I do same as you. Sometimes I save and repitch yeast if running a few batches. I made my own chiller and racking canes with stainless tubing. I also use paint strainers for my grains, work fine. Notes are important, and still have notes from "95". I've even come up with my own recipes, which is the fun part, but expect some not so drinkable brews..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

12. Fungunner

Fungunner

My dad used to make some kind of home-brew, in a crock. His stuff was legendary back in the sticks where we lived. Maybe I should get the recipe, for posterity sake.

13. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Believer

I need to start going to church.

Drinking beer and shooting guns?
    Sign me up.

How are the women?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  14. heliguy

heliguy

My older brother has been home brewing for years. it's great stuff. He has his own strain of yeast that he uses....Be sure to keep everything squeaky clean though, or else....

15. HekiDanjo

HekiDanjo

I've been brewing for about a decade and even won a few local competitions and here is a handy hint: If you've never done this before, stick with a dark style of beer for your first batch, especially if you want to impress. If the wort takes too long to come up to temp on your range, caramelization isn't necessarily a defect in the darker styles. The flavors are also fairly bold and can hide a lot of small mistakes fairly well.

16. Historian

Careful with the brewing. It lends into other interesting hobbies like cheese making, vinegar making, cordials, knife making, ball running, etc. :whistling:

17. TomZ

TomZ Lifetime Member

And here I thought it only led to beer drinking and the acquisition of lots of new friends, lol.

18. Historian

Oh you'll get more friends. The minute someone says, "Hey dude! Is that a kegorator in the garage?!"

:rofl:

19. Just1More

Just1More

Virgins! :wow:

20. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

We need a Homebrew forum down in Hobby Time! Hey Eric!:wavey: