Home Surveillance Cameras

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by K. Foster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. K. Foster

K. Foster

I want to get a couple exterior and maybe one interior camera for my home. I would like something with enough resolution to read licence plates. I’ve got some people driving into my driveway and checking to see if I’m home. This has been going on for a while and they are getting bolder. I live in the sticks and my driveway is about 100 yards long.
    Modern surveillance cameras are something I don’t know much about, so if you could speak slowly and use small words.......... Thank you.

ZekerMan likes this.
  2. 9jeeps

9jeeps Avatars, no mas.

Saw a blurb on You Tube, where your system can be hacked very easily and you could be seen doing every thing in your own house. Check it out.

K. Foster likes this.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I do know they make license plate recognition cameras that are used in conjunction with automatic gates. the gates quickly open after it reads an authorized plate. this would be something you can put in the along the driveway to record any plates that are not in your database.

I've seen the cameras from anywhere form $400 to $2000. Since you don't need to capture plates at highway speeds, I think you can use something on the lower end.

K. Foster likes this.
  4. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

Search YouTube for Arlo Pro 3 cameras and Eufy cameras. Both are battery operated and easy to use.

K. Foster likes this.
  5. J-Doo

J-Doo

Your best bet is not Ring or Nest if you want to read plates. You want something wired with network cable. There are WiFi cameras that will give you that kind of resolution but they aren’t from Home Depot or Amazon. They would come from a wholesaler. Those big box store systems get hacked all the time. You could call the local big name Alarm Company in your area. They will give you the best solution. Just be careful those people will want you to lease it so they can get big money out of you and then when the lease is up they take it back. Then they just throw it away but they won’t tell you that. Buy the system outright if you have the cash. It will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $2,000 to $3,000 for 4 - 1080p or 4K cameras. That’s installed. Whatever system you get quoted should have an APP for your phone or tablet. If I as in your neck of the woods I would help you out. I’ve been doing this for 26 years. If you get a quote and want to run it passed me you can PM me. Good luck

-JCN-, K. Foster and HALO51 like this.
  6. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

First decision is wired or wireless. Do you want to run cables to them?

K. Foster likes this.
  7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'd recommend hardwired cameras with a DVR. I would avoid wireless cameras. Reading a LP, unless in full daylight is going to be a stretch.

I'm using an Amcrest system. It's fine for monitoring the property and catching events but it won't read a LP and the night vision is merely adequate.

Another layer of inexpensive security I'd suggest is a driveway alarm. That's been the single biggest boost to my awareness of things afoot.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    -JCN- and K. Foster like this.
  8. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I’ve got an 8 camera system ( 4 inside and 4 outside ) installed by a pro. My system was installed in 2009 when the house was built and some outside cameras upgraded a few years ago. The controller and DVR is in my safe room. My driveway is about 125 yards long also.

I think your resolution requirement is going to be very expensive and not the normal run of the mill security cameras.

K. Foster likes this.
  9. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Quick and cheap fix for the time being would be a couple decent game cameras. Will give you good still photos and decent movies. You'd have to go download the files from the camera, or change the memory card, but as I said, cheap and quick if you want to see the plate on the car.

10. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Wyze cams are $20 each and they're 1080p, but they're not giving you license plates at 100 yards. No camera is, unless you're willing to drop $$,$$$. License plates, at distance, are a ***** to get, even with the right angles, software, high quality lenses, and correct camera settings.

If you're worried about security and privacy, but aren't technically inclined, then just put them on the guest network and turn off the inside ones when you're at home.

K. Foster and volky like this.
  11. K. Foster

K. Foster

Thanks to everyone who’s replied so far. Good food for thought.
    To be clear, I don’t need to read the plate at 100 yards. I can catch the plate when they bust through the gate and come down the drive but if I don’t get the plate, the cops won’t do much.
    The game camera idea is good, I’m already exploring that one.
    As far as wired or wireless, I don’t know enough to make a decision on that yet.

12. RenoF250

RenoF250

I have bought quite a few wireless cameras and I am happy with the image quality but they all use different apps and only on the phone. Also, most of the apps are very sketchy and have caused problems with my network.

Wyze cams work good and no problems with the app but still not viewable on the PC with their software.

K. Foster likes this.
  13. faceplant

faceplant