Home Standby Generators?Recommendations..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Feb 10, 2010.

1. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Again, if you (and everyone else in your immediate area) have no electricity, water or natural gas, bugging in is not really the best course of action.

2. johnd

johnd

Being down here in FloorDuh we dont have the heating issues you might have here although you could use firewood in a sealed stove ( did that in Ohio and heated a whole house in a blizzard with 2 franklin stoves glowing cherry red)
    Powerwise here we have 2 4kv generators, one for the fridge, radio and the such that can run 24/7 and the other one to bring on line an AC unit for sleeping under. I reconnect that one in the AM to the water heater so we have hot water to shower with. We can also alternate the units every other day to even out their hours.
    I dont see running some massive machinery 24/7 just because that might sized for your peak load once a month for whatever reason.
    AND...2 smaller ones cost less and also are easier to move around...

3. bluenoise

bluenoise

If the exits are all too blocked for a few days after a big quake, it's good to have a way to make it until you can get away.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

No, this is a reason to also weigh the value of other power systems. Especially if you live in an earthquake area.

Primarily, that is the reason I have a diesel generator, with a very large above ground fuel tank.

It allows me to store plenty of fuel that I can also use to heat my house, fuel my truck, or give me power. An earthquake can easily destroy buried gas lines, rendering your very expensive NG or propane generator useless. Where as an above ground system is still operational.

If you have your house heated with fuel oil, you can also run your generator off that, or vise versa off your fuel stocks for the generator.

Also, if no one else has water or natural gas, that would be perfect for my house, because I would very likely still have all three, meaning they'd probably scoot and leave me to my own ends. Not a bad situation at all.

5. ryanm

ryanm

Or tornadoes. We've had tornadoes topple trees around here several times, usually breaking a few NG lines.

NG with propane option (and a propane tank) is my choice (hoping to get one in the next year or so).
    Diesel would be my choice if I had any diesel vehicles, tractors, etc...

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is what my mom told me. :supergrin: She said, "what if the utilities cut off"?On the farm we had diesel and propane generators but here all I had during the hurricane a few years ago was the portable generator for eleven days. But I was able to go buy gas. This time the generator wouldn't start and the nearby stations ran out of gas. So I am seriously considering diesel or the generac type but I would like something that will run a few days with no refuel if possible. That snow and no power really was not fun.:shocked:

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

If one has diesel vehicles and/or equipment, and therefore stores a couple/few hundred gallons of diesel that is in rotation, a diesel genset makes perfect sense. Particularly if one is adept at diesel repair and maintenance.

One of my wildhair ideas was to have a large diesel genny (30kva or better) mounted on a trailer along with a 200 gallon or so diesel tank with an electric transfer pump to allow me to rotate the diesel into my truck.

In hurricane country this option holds a particular attraction because it can be towed out of the affected zone and back in, full of fuel. It would also serve as additional fuel reserve getting in and out on evac. Figure 3-5 days of fuel on board, hook up and tow outside the zone for refuel, and back in. In my experience, after a couple three weeks it would likely be feasible to have a diesel drop accomplished at your residence with a temporary skid tank with a few hundred more gallons.

One upside of a permanent install with autotransfer panel is the exercise feature most have to ensure the battery is charged and everything is working BEFORE the crisis hits.

Were I to go with a diesel unit I believe I would take a class at the local trade school to learn basic diesel mechanics.

Just thoughts........

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a transfer tank or 500-1000 gallon tank on wheels, and just mount the generator at the residence?

A generator on wheels is easy, and quiet to steal. If its hard mounted, you could still go take the tank for fuel, and have the added plus of having a well secured generator?

9. certifiedfunds

10. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

This was my logic as well. Two diesel trucks, wife's Blazer is diesel, and back before I retired we were going through 200 gallons a week. I bought a 1000 gallon tank, had it placed here on my property, and have a local oil company keep it filled; cheaper to buy fuel in bulk. The diesel genny was an easy choice.

As an added bonus, more than one neighbor in the area has a diesel tractor and buys fuel from me because instead of filling up fuel cans at a station in town, they can just drive their tractor over and fill 'er up. I make a small profit.

11. certifiedfunds

Buddy of mine has a fishing lodge. To cut costs he had a 1000 gallon gasoline skid tank dropped at his location. The fuel company doesn't charge him for the tank, just a monthly minimum purchase. The damn thing has some sort of telemetry and notifies the fuel distributor to make a drop when it reaches a certain point. Completely hands free.