close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home Security Systems?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by matteblack, Mar 4, 2010.

1. matteblack

matteblack

I'm looking to install one but I dont know where to start. Sure Ive heard of ADT and Brink, etc. Looking for some recommendations. Whats a realistic price range for something basic but effective? Thanks!
    MB

2. sbhaven

sbhaven

For DIY systems see http://www.homesecuritystore.com/. They also have a low cost monitoring service as well.

ETA: Its hard to give a price range beyond the basic systems since each premises has a different set of requirements (number of windows, doors and area to be covered by the detectors). In addition there are the issues of wireless and wired that will need to be considered. Some will want wireless if they rent. Also if you rent check with the landlord to ensure you can install a security system (it might violate the lease to punch holes in walls to run wires).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

3. Z71bill

Z71bill

4. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I use Smith Thompson. They are cheap and I don't need a land line to have it monitored (it's cellular). Plus the smoke alarms are wired into the sysem too. So, if there's a fire when nobody's home someone will come get my dogs out of the house before it burns down. We have glass breaks, motion sensors and contact pads throughout the house, as well as an audible (97 Db, I think) alarm inside, 2 speakers.

I think we pay 16.50 or so a month for it. Also, we have two pads for the alarm. One by the door for coming and going and one in the master bedroom for going to bed or panic in the night.

http://www.smiththompson.com/smiththompson/

Been very pleased with the service and equipment. Also, the cops show up in under 2 minutes (in my sleepy neighborhood) every time my wife lets the dogs out at 2 am to pee. :upeyes:

5. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

I have the best home security system. It has been on the top of the list for many many years. I have a big dog that barks at people that try to come into his palace, whether or not he knows who it is.

6. sarge83

sarge83

Get a monitored system, with wireless call out if possible. Also, spring for the extra keypad in the master bedroom worth the money. Ask the installer to show you how to set up an ambush code along with your regular arm/disarm code as well. Wireless keyfob for entry and exit is nice as well.

If they install smoke and heat sensors I would consider getting those as well. Be sure to contact your insurance company for a discount on your homeowners insurance once you have the system installed.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

We set our PIN and our "ambush" code ourselves, most installers will leave you instructions on doing it.

We made the ambush code the PIN typed backwards.

Also, ours has a "pizza boy" function. It works so I hit the button on the wall when I open the door and if the PIN isn't typed in before 3 minutes goes by the silent alarm calls the po-po ... not terribly useful but I thought it was a nifty function.

8. ipfreely123

ipfreely123 something witty CLM

I got APX and have been very happy with them so far. I have had Brinks and ADT at previous homes and so far the response time and the service from APX has beat both of them hands down.

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

I have a system by RRA/SA:supergrin:
    [​IMG]

10. sbhaven

sbhaven

Or if one has some lefty anti gun neighbors, just put up a big sign with an arrow pointing to their house that says...

My Next Door Neighbor wants to BAN all GUNS!
    There house is NOT ARMED!
    Out of RESPECT for their opinions I promise NOT to use MY GUNS to PROTECT THEM.​

:cool:

11. matteblack

matteblack

Thanks for the feedback folks!

12. matteblack

matteblack

Hey Okie, You got that right! I have a colt with an aimpoint at the ready :cool:

By the way, its CORNHUSKERS vs SOONERS in the 2010 Big 12 Championshiop!

Just like old times my friend. I have much respect for OU, miss the big games. Its going to be nice to see these teams good again at the same time:supergrin:

Go Big Red!

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Go OU:tongueout::supergrin::wavey:

14. jp3975

jp3975

I would get an alarm service with ADT.

Guns are great, but you can sleep through someone breaking in or they could surprise you when you get home.

When you go home do you have your gun drawn and ready? If someone is in while you're away they'll be ready for you to get home.

With ADT all the doors will have alarms[3 free] and you'll get a motion detector, stickers, and signs with the basic package.

So long as they can get into the attic and run wires to your doors you can probably get a free install.

If they cant you'll have to go wireless. Wired is $99 and wireless is $199.

But...ADT is commission pay in sells. Tell them you want a free install and be firm about it. If they can do wired dont pay anything. If they do wireless offer $100.

There is a monthly monitoring fee that you'll have to pay $35.99 for a 3 year contract.

Its worth it though. Soon as you trip the alarm the cops will come out. You get a keychain remote with a panic button that will send the police out and it has an on/off switch so you never have to touch the keypad.

If you want extras you can talk them a lot off the cost. Things you might want would be having contacts on all windows. Or a fire alarm. [theirs are hooked up to the monitoring and will send out the fire dept...good if you have pets for when you're away]

Also you can save on your homeowners insurance. A lot of people save $20 per month but it'll depend on your insurance company.

You'll need a credit score of 575 or better. But you can offer to pay in advance and still get it.

Also you have 3 days to change your mind after the install.

I would go with ADT over the others. ADT is the largest alarm company in the world. The Pentagon, Fort Knox, and the White House use them.

While other's have only one monitoring station, which they dont tell you goes out from time to time and there will be times when you're not monitored...ADT has monitoring stations all over the country. One goes down and another picks up the slack.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  15. jp3975

jp3975

That's an extra $12 per month.

Really i dont see a need for the wireless callout. The only thing its good for is in case someone cuts your phone lines. Someone would have to be a pro and pretty determined to get into your place.

Alarm will still work if they cut the lines...it just wont call the police.

Its good for people that dont have a home phone or people who really need extra security.

The downside is that it works off of cell signal and if your house doesnt get signal it wont work.

16. southernshooter

southernshooter

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

For me, the real savings was being able to dump the 23 dollars a month I was paying for a land lind and replacing it with a MagicJack for 20 dollars a year.

My wireless callout didn't cost me 12 dollars a month either. Heck, my whole monitoring service is under 17 dollars a month. Savings on the land line was just a bonus.

ETA: We all have our "brand loyalty" but saying ADT is the only one in the alarm monitoring industry with backup monitoring sites is a little suspect without proof. Unless you'd care to preface that statement with "my salesman told me..."

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  18. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I spent all kinds of money on security, motion detectors, glass breakage, etc.
    Cops almost never show up lucky if they come after 45 minutes.
    Sorta don't blame them, so many false alarms.
    When I was a LEO our response time was 2minutes or less.

19. jp3975

jp3975

Yeah...if you dont want a phone it's an advantage.

Im in sales for ADT;p Unless they lie to their sales reps I assume it's true.

Adt puts it out there and no one disputes it.

Brinks is their only major competitor and they have 1 site. Ive not heard of anyone else having more than one...but it isnt really that important of a point anyway. Not like someone would break in while you're not being monitored.

20. jp3975

jp3975

Dont know who you were with...but with ADT these days they call you first to check.

But to me the best point of having one is that you can come home and know someone isnt in your house.

I dont worry about it for myself, but if im out of town then i worry about the wife.