Home Security System

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bensmiata, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Bensmiata

Bensmiata

My parents have a house with a wired security system that dials out via a landline to their security company. They want to eliminate the landline because of the fees associated with it every month and the fact that it isn't used except for the security system. What are their options to retain the functionality of the system but get rid of the landline? :wavey:

2. tony4311

tony4311

I'd say call the security company. Not really sure there is another option.

3. 2bgop

2bgop

My system is cell based. Shouldn't be hard to make that switch.

4. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Mine is land line with a cell backup. I like belt and suspenders. My security system will automatically sound an alarm if the landline is cut.

Your parents can cut their land line bill down by making it a pay per call line.Phone companies don't tell you this is available, but they must offer a per call line. Mine costs $13/month. Of course, after all the taxes are added, it jumps to $20/month.

5. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

I was in the same boat with an underused landline. I switched the security system to cell service and cancelled the landline. I think they intend the cell as a backup rather than stand-alone but if you get a strong signal it shouldn't be a problem.

The money I saved in monthly landline fees more than pays for the cell option.

One consideration might be 911 locating. I haven't paid attention lately, but at one time cell 911 locating service wasn't super reliable (if you are unable to give the operator your location) compared to landline. It may have improved.

6. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

When we were going to switch from land line to cell it was going to cost $150 for them to instal a new keypad for the service and it was going to raise our monthly cost from $38 to $50 or so.

We haven't done it yet, due to some house stuff, but I was wondering... If something happens... What will go out first? The land line or cell service? <--- real question.

7. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Mine (ADT) was about $12/mo extra, no new keypad needed. All the work was done at the control panel. I think the landline I cancelled was about $40/mo.

"If something happens".....like what? Zombie apocalypse? The cell unit has a battery backup and you can't disable it by cutting an outside wire like landline. I guess you could jam it. My system is for fire and burglary. If a tsunami hits, all bets are off.

My hope is that the fact that I have a system at all will cause the casual criminal to move along to easier pickin's at my neighbors house instead. It won't prevent a determined pro from getting in.

8. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

If I was going to rob a house I would cut the cable and telephone lines first--bringing a cell blocker along seems to be over-kill, but hey if you a a professional thief then I guess it would be a good thing to have.

9. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Mine is set up so it calls ME. You should be able to program in several numbers. The one at my shop call my cell and my home phone in addition to another number. The one at my home calls my cell and 2 landline numbers. Could call up to 5 numbers. No calls to a monitoring company, or police. When the alarm sounds, you can hear the auto dialer calling out and the message it gives. "There is an alarm in progress at the so and so residence. Respond Immediately." They won't be sticking around.

10. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

If you did that at my house, the alarm would still sound. It has a battery backup. The sirens, 2 inside, one outside are LOUD.
    Doesn't hurt when word gets around about your neighbors timely response to an alarm either. Had a friend who was staying here temporarily set off my alarm by snooping in a part of the house he shouldn't have been in. My neighbor was here in a flash. Blocked his vehicle in the drive. saw no one out front so walked out back with his AR15. There was my buddy on the deck looking for the siren which he couldn't have got to anyway. Neighbor pulls down on him with the AR and says, "Who are you, and why is Smoke's alarm going off?" It was the talk of the town. I bought my neighbor a quantity of his favorite libations, and thanked him. Booted the snooper out.

11. kiole

kiole

anyone self monitor?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

From what I have seen reliable ALI is still appreciably better from a traditional telephone than from a cell phone. As long as the telephone company has the correct address for the telephone location for a landline is always delivered to the PSAP. It often is for a cell phone call but certainly not all the time. Sometimes the best that comes through is a cell tower location.

14. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I have had monitored security systems in several of my houses, and have concluded that they are a waste of money. In almost 15 years, I never once had a legitimate alarm; every single one was accidental. Where I live now, police or ambulance response is almost 30 minutes away, so I don't bother even having a system. Spending the monthly fee on better homeowner's insurance is a better investment IMO.

15. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

If something happens... That was meaning a hurricane (live on coast). The area of town I live in hasn't put everything underground yet still has above ground lines. Not too into the zombie thing.

My hope is that the signs and hearing my system beeping while leaving will deter anyone watching as well.

For the land line being cut... If any signal is interrupted, ie. cut line, the company is supposed to be alerted in the interruption of a signal and alarm.