close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home security question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .40 caliber, Mar 7, 2012.

1. .40 caliber

.40 caliber

We are about 3 weeks away from closing on our first house. We came to an agreement with the seller this evening. I just have to get a inspector over there to do his thing.

But I am looking for suggestions on a decent home security system with some nice features. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

3. Sharkey

Sharkey

Try to find a local monitored alarm company. $40/month is steep and a contract is required. We use a local company that has provided excellent service for $16/month.

Maybe consider a CCTV system that alerts your Smartphone too.

4. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Lots of security systems available at your local Humane Society.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  5. PBCounty

PBCounty

I always suggest getting proper windows and doors and then just monitor for smoke / flood.

6. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

ADT, no one else comes close. There is a reason why they are number 1

7. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

amen :laughabove:

8. Detectorist

Detectorist

ADT has drastically different quality of service in different areas. If you go with them, make sure you ask your neighboors about ADT service.

9. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

A dog. Literally. And if you want, add a DIY internet based alarm that you monitor via a smart phone.

ADT sucks in my experience. Totally incompetent and way over priced.

10. PBCounty

PBCounty

Unless your areas are drastically different than mine....all alarm services are monitored by a small number of call centers. There are hundreds of alarm companies in my area, there are maybe four different call / dispatch centers that they contract out to. Point is, quality of service / response is almost universal.

Locally, a 36 minute response time is average for a residential alarm. I'd say that's good considering the call load of local LEO's. A year ago we had a fifty (50) minute response time to a CONFIRMED residential burglary IN PROGRESS with multiple people calling police. Protect your doors and windows and forget the alarm system unless it is for smoke / fire alerts.....and self monitor.

11. DIXIE DUCK

DIXIE DUCK

This is the truth. Nothing beats a dog and a gun. CCTV is useful as well but I don't much confidence in an electronic system keeping me safe.

12. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I will also say "Dog."

13. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Make sure you are dealing with ADT not an ADT authorized dealer, 2 different things. The monitoring is the same but that's about it. The monitoring the important part and that's what I was referring to when I said no one comes close.

14. MediaMan

MediaMan

1. ADT (or any security company) is only as good as their turnover time and the response time of your local LEO's. And keep in mind that the security company doesn't pay their guys a whole lot, so they get what they pay for.
    2. If you have a gun, get training. Remember your neighbors and don't overshoot your exterior walls. I have a Mossberg .410, a Judge Public Defender and a couple .45's hidden around but quickly accessible. I live in a small house in a closely spaced neighborhood...12 guage overpressure would blow out my windows and the shot would take out my wall and my neighbor's.
    3. Agreed on the dog. Our American Cattle Dog sounds like she's about 170 pounds and very angry if you turn around in our driveway. Once you're in, of course, she's on your lap looking for a belly rub. But she is trainable!
    4. Forget the electronics and go for "screamers" (less than $10 each online). They mount on door and entry-possible windows and send out a 100db+ alarm when jiggled. They have on-off and sensitivity switches and are battery operated. If you're not home they'll alert anyone in the neighborhood.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  15. g19rw

g19rw

Power Home Technologies. I've had several alarm systems in different homes and have never been happier. They're monitored by Monitronics, smart phone capable through alarm.com, cctv compatable, keychain, direct connect to monitoring stations (no phone call unless they can reach you through the 2-way contact directly through the panel). Covers windows, doors, smoke, carbon dioxide. Has panic for police, fire, and EMT's and a hostage code.

16. 220-9er

220-9er

Buy the system and have a no contract monitoring service. DO NOT go for the lower up front cost with a contract services.
    Many of the systems use the same hardware. Often it is branded with their name but it is still made by the same companies. The real difference is in the guy that does the installation. Check around, maybe call your local police and ask who to use or who not to use.
    Be sure to get smoke and fire with monitoring. This is statistically more likely to be a danger than break-ins. Most homeowners insurance will give you a 10% reduction on your policy if you have a monitored system with smoke & fire protection.
    Be realistic and don't be oversold. Unless you have some special need (like you store lots of cash or jewelry) you are protecting your house against Bubba, not James Bond. The signs in the yard probably help as much as anything to keep a criminal away. As mentioned, a good dog that barks is the best protection.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  17. heliguy

heliguy

I hate dogs, but the local LEO's say a big dog with a loud bark is first line home defense. Second line is well lit walls all around the house with limited shrubs where a BG could hide. Third line is an electronic security system. Fourth line is your home defense weapon system. Think of security in terms of layering your defense.

18. Chad Rogers

Chad Rogers

Take a look at some of the stuff Costco is selling. It doesn't provide any response but might be worth as a supplement.

19. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

When we moved into our first house, the previous owners had an ADT system that was supposed to be turned off when we moved in. The ADT re-seller came out to give us the tour of the alarm and get it set up and turned back on. So he pressed the silent panic alarm. 2 minutes later we had 6 police officers coming to our front and back doors with guns drawn. I told the ADT guy that he could handle the police.

20. .40 caliber

.40 caliber

Thanks for the replies guys. So far I have not heard anything good about ADT in this area (Clarksville, Tn). I do have a loud dog, not exactly a killer though. I have my firearms and want to get my wife a shotgun, so that is the first thing on our shopping list.