close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home security cameras?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 10-32, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 10-32

10-32 Here, hold this

I'm working on plans for my man cave, and a big part of that is security. Basically, I want this little building I have to be akin to Ft. Knox.

I've spent the last several hours looking online for home security cameras, but I can't seem to find one I'm comfortable buying yet. So I'm wondering if anyone here has cameras, what type, how do you like them, what are some good ones, etc.

I think wired is the way I'm leaning now, and a 6-8 camera system would be ideal. I will also need to run some pretty lengthy wires, as I want the DVR in the gun house, but cameras on the garage and the house as well...I can bury or hang the wires, whichever works. I would also like a system that allows me to view the cameras online or on a smartphone, as I believe most modern systems do? Mostly, I want good, clear images. Doesn't do me much good if I can't get a detailed image.

Thanks

2. boozer

boozer

Wired is better, the more expensive camera will give better images.

Don't mount them up high, its tempting to protect them, but you just get the top of their head. Chest level behind Lexan beside the door would be good.

My cheap driveway cam, I picked it up on clearence at a computer store. It was a buyout and doesn't have a name on it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4k5lPzHPTE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4k5lPzHPTE[/ame]

I've never tried the internet streaming.

3. Bradysmmrs

Bradysmmrs

I've been interested in this same type of system. I haven't found exactly what I want, but with my interesting work schedule my wife is sometimes concerned about being alone. I went out and bought 5 wireless motion sensors and hooked 4 of them to the corners of the house, on reciever side I made a LED panel that shows what sensor is being triggerd. The fifth motion sensor I put in the stairwell and hooked it up to a wireless doorbell. If someone gets to the stairs, we'll know about it.

4. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I've been playing around with a security system.

I had an old 1.8 ghz NetVista computer that was retired and on it's way out. i dedicated that to my security system. I put Linux Mint on it as an operating system, then Zoneminder, which includes operating an Apache server.

For cameras, I played with a bunch. First a cheapo $25 ebay 'spy camera' It's wireless, transmits to a base station and that connects to a PCI camera card (A $15 ebay item) that inputs for 4 cameras. (More cameras, more video cards.)

The wireless didn't go through a brick wall, so my side yard dogcam had to be something else. I moved it to be a poolcam, line of sight 8 feet through a window. That worked fine.

For the dogcam, I bought a cheapo ($30) Zonet IP camera. It sets up on an internet address (IP: 192.168.1.xxx) that displays in it's own software, and can be brought into Zoneminder for motion processing. Upside/downside: very low light camera but not infrared, won't see in the dark, even with an IR illuminator. So sensitive, it washes out in bright sunlight, I had to put a sunglasses lens in front of the lens. To avoid bringing eithernet wiring to the camera, I used internet over power lines. (You got to bring at least power to any camera) The equipment was a Monster Powernet 100 Powerline Network Kit. The network runs slow, but is fast enough for the camera to display. I believe the industry also has 'power over eithernet' available to power cameras, but I haven't tested that. Other downside: It's an indoor camera, and has to be brought in outta the rain (Infrequent in Texas...)

I looked at Foscam cameras for my eaves cameras, but decided against them, because they have a plastic housing, and plastic doesn't do well in the Texas sun. I bought a couple of QueSee cameras, because they have an aluminum housing.

The QueSee cameras have a color sensor and a B&W IR sensor, and work well day and night. They are wired, so the wires need to be brought back to your computer, inside the house.

Hope this saves you some research !

5. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

CCD are clearer than CMOS Cameras. CCD gives you longer range and has a sharper image.

6. Ralff

Ralff

Tagged. Would love to have a camera system, just not sure what type/brand.

7. chrisf608

chrisf608

8. pal2511

pal2511

Go to www.cctvforum.com Then plan on reading for days.

If you want a good dvr I have heard good things about this DVR and I plan on buying one hopefully soon for my house

http://www.nellyssurplus.com/servlet/the-1558/Qvis-Apollo-HD-8/Detail

I believe its a rebranded Dahua DVR.

I have used IcRealtime brand dvrs at 4 different propertys that I manage the dvr at. I can view the footage on my android phone, web browser on the Pc (IE6 or 7 works best) or a stand alone security program.

The ICrealtime software is supposed to be the same as the above Qvis dvr.

Nellys also has a bunch of used cameras you can try out for not much money.

I reccomend you use Cat5 cable to do the video and then buy cat5 to bnc baluns to convert it over on each end. I would stick with the balun that lets you just screw the wire into the balun instead of using a cat 5 end jack

9. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

I bought a Swann from Best Buy that has 4 cameras. They also have an 8 camera version. It came with a 1TB HD (the ones online show 500GB, but when I got to the store, they were the "bonus" models with the 1TB). Each camera has 60' of wire. They work great night and day, and you can set it up for web or smartphone viewing. It will also email you if a camera set up to motion detect goes off. I think for a big box store solution they work great. The setting up and interface is kinda clunky, but once you get used to the menus, it's a good system.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Swann+-...18429919961&skuId=3756588&st=swann&cp=1&lp=13

10. bocaboca

bocaboca

I have a Night Owl 8 camera system I bought at Brands Mart. All cams are hard wired. 2 of the 8 have audio. 500GB DVR with internet accessibility. they start you with 8- 65' runs of wire. some of my runs are longer, but the extensions were inexpensive. paid 329.00 even have an app for my Iphone.

11. Ralff

Ralff

12. boozer

boozer

13. pal2511

pal2511

Make sure whatever you get has D1 recording capability on the crucial channels.. The one I showed you has 7FPS D1 recording on all channels.

14. pal2511

pal2511

Well dude did you get anything yet or what.

15. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

d1 means?

16. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

How is everyone liking there Foscam?

18. 3000fps

3000fps