Home remedies for poison ivy/oak?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dan, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Dan

Dan

I thought I had everything covered up well but somehow I got it on my right ankle.

This morning I scrubed the hell out of it, poured some moonshine on it, followed by calomine lotion and topped it off with Morton's sea salt. Its wrapped up but does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh Yeah, moonshine burns like a b*tch.

FullClip likes this.
  2. buddyd157

buddyd157

best thing to do, is either go in person, or call your pharmacy for advice.

we many all have home remedies , but what works for us, may make you worse.

for the record, i was going to say calamine lotion as well.

maybe even Lotrasone...(sp?)

greg vanstralen likes this.

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Wash with diluted Dawn brand dish soap.

Calamine, Cortisone.

Call doc for prescription.

LEO/Dad, orangejeep06 and FullClip like this.
  4. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

OTC Benadryl for the itch - recommended by my doctor.

Speleothem and Bill Keith like this.
  5. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

6. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

You could have your wife pee on it

I’m serious.

I’m not sure it will help with your condition. It’s just ti distract you from that itching.

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

If you got an itch to scratch....she's on line...
    [​IMG]

Inyo Tim, MrGlock21 and orangejeep06 like this.
  8. glock collector

glock collector

Take a ss wire brush and get after it till it's a bloody tore mess, then soak with unscented lysol every hour...do this for a day or so. I have used starting fluid or brake cleaner too. Lysol works best.

FullClip likes this.
  9. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I’m not allergic to it. Just pulled some out of my mother in law’s flower bed.

10. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

When I get in it, it is bad, causing a red raw oozing patch of 2nd degree burn looking blisters. I once woke up and the rash all over my face had oozed and stuck my face to the pillow and both my eyes were stuck shut... First thing is to wash you and all the clothes you had on when you got it with hot water and detergent or else it may spread. A prednisone script will help. A cortisone cream will help the itching, as would calamine and benadryl, but when it is as bad as I used to get it, I found dabbing bleach on it with a q-tip made the oozing stop and the resulting chlorine burn allowed it to scab over and heal quicker.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  11. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

12. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Poison ivy is not my friend. Never was allergic to it until later in life and now if I see it in a book I get it. I head right to the doctor to get the steroid shot.

legalsten and FullClip like this.
  13. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

Check out Tecnu.com found in pharmacies etc. They make a poison ivy/oak scrubber with like sand it and a cleanser. Its works, plus on chigger bites. then spray with a menthol. wintergreen alcohol may also help.

QUOTE="Dan, post: 29040390, member: 13540"]I thought I had everything covered up well but somehow I got it on my right ankle.

This morning I scrubed the hell out of it, poured some moonshine on it, followed by calomine lotion and topped it off with Morton's sea salt. Its wrapped up but does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh Yeah, moonshine burns like a b*tch.[/QUOTE]

Maccabeus likes this.
  14. apphunter

apphunter

wash the effected area with dawn dishsoap. Dawn is a degreaser and it will break down the oils on your skin that cause the reaction. If you think you have been exposed do this as well to help prevent any reaction.

Use benedryl to help with the itch and a cortizone cream to help your rash heal faster.

Any other products and advise is nothing but pure snake oil. I am highly allergic to posion ivey and I think I can get it by just looking at it.

The best way is prevention. Be able to identify the plant when you see it. Wear long sleeves gloves and pants. If you even think you are exposed wash with a degreaser.

15. Backpack Hunter

Backpack Hunter

Jewelweed soap and Tecnu Extreme are used liberally anytime I get it. Stops the spread, and gets rid of it pretty quickly.

Esse quam videri

16. NoStress

NoStress

Do something to keep from scratching it with your other foot while you sleep.

17. ACE31

ACE31

Go to the doc in a box (quick care) and get a dose pack of prednisone.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  18. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Bragg Organic Apple cider vinegar, the one with the pulp looking stuff in the bottom.

19. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I just had a moderately bad case last month after a lot of post-tornado tree clearing around town.

I tried a host of home remedies (thorough washing/rubbing to rub off the oils, fresh aloe vera, activated charcoal poltice, some essential oil salve my wife had, etc) and they were all various levels of useless. Some reduced redness and itching, but it kept spreading.

Someone recommended Bert's Bees Poison Ivy Treatment, but they didn't have any in the store. I saw this Tecnu product that was highly rated on Amazon and grabbed the other Green Goo stuff that caught my eye.

IMG_20200614_171857447.jpg

I can't say for sure if it was all one or a combination of both, but it stopped the spread and cleared up the rash

I washed the areas 2-3 times per day with the scrub and then applied the salve afterward. After weeks of persistence and spread, several days later it was gone.

Highly recommended.

20. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Aw man, I had it bad back in April, maybe. Tried everything. Calamine lotion, Benedryl creme, Hydrocortisone, prescription steroid I found in the cabinet. I can't remember what else.

These took some of the itch out of it. But the only cure is time. Took over 3 weeks to go away and I still have some light scars.

My wife, did the same yard work I did. Got in the same thick weeds and brush. Nothing. Not affected at all.

When I was a kid, I used to have to go get shots. That usedta knock it out pretty quick.