Home owning/buying advice needed.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Feb 10, 2010.

1. nsl

nsl

To start off, I currently own the home I live in as it was left to me by my Grandfather. It has been in the family since the 60's or 70's. I have no intentions of staying here forever. I let one of my Uncles, who got a divorce, stay here for what was supposed to be a little while, but turned into over a year, and he's still here. Basically, he doesn't want to work, but pays me for bills when I ask. This only makes my desire to move even greater, as I HATE dead beats, as they only drag you down with them.

Anyway, I've been wanting to move back to the country where I can shoot and stuff. I make about $30,000 a year and am single, so how hard would it be for me to pay for another home? I'm sitting pretty in my current house. Only pay utilitys, tax, insurance, and its about fifteen minutes from work. As I said, I have been wanting to move for a while, and will probably end up about an hour and a half away from work. Don't really know what I would be getting into financially by moving.

I know I would still be responsible for insurance and tax on my current house. How could I fix it to where my Uncle or other kin could actually "take" leagal ownership of this property away from me? I know if you let someone stay with you, it then takes an act of Congress to get them out if they don't want to leave, so how do I make sure I don't loose my current property?

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You want to fix it so he can "take" ownership? Not sure I follow. What you want to do is get a good tenant who will pay you rent that you can use to pay the mortgage on the country place. HH

3. armorplated

armorplated

Laws vary from state to state. In my state we have something called "adverse possession" where if someone has use/uses a property for a certain length of time he can claim ownership. Dunno if that would apply in your case.

If it's your property you need to ask your uncle to leave. He probably feels entitled to abuse your hospitality because it was his dad's house (right?).

Call the sheriff's office and find out what steps you can take to evict him. You might also ask them the question you're asking here.

4. nsl

nsl

No, so he can NOT take ownership.

5. nsl

nsl

He has already been asked to leave, and I gave him a few more months, but he doen't seem to be making any attempts to find a place of his own. I've complained to his brothers and sisters, one of which is my mom, and they act like I am a selfish devil by wanting him out of here. I am basically being told to just "take it and ignore it". Sorry, can't take someone being shoved down my throat to well. In other words, an eviction would cause a HUGE ****storm, as they all think they have legal interest in the property. I've had two lawyers look at the papers and this property is 100% mine.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Did he sign a lease? If not, he's a guest...not a tenant. Getting rid of a guest is not an eviction. If he refuses, he's trespassing. HH

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

give him 30 days to pack his **** and go,

then get a "quality" tenant to live there and pay rent, maybe fix it up a bit so it can be more appealing, then use this to pay your new mortage ,

and that 1.5 hour commute = 3 hours out of your day just going to and from work, that would be a problem for me at least, nothing like 11 or 13 hour days depending on how your work schedule is

8. trifecta

trifecta

9. armorplated

armorplated

You have to decide which is more important, viz. to be thought of well by your mom, aunts and uncles, or to protect your interest in the property. You obviously can't have it both ways.

What's the house worth, anyway?

10. nsl

nsl

Don't know what its worth. Its an old lake house, but its a fishing lake and not a swimming lake. House also needs alot of work. Doesn't have central AC, no shower, needs roofed, etc. I'm sure being on two lots on a lake makes it worth a little more than if said house were in a regular neighborhood.

11. JBaird22

JBaird22

Most states, once someone establishes residency, like moving in stuff, getting mail, you've already said he lives with you etc, you can't just tell them to leave. nsl is correct in your assumption that you have to evict.

I would not, and I mean this, just give someone a house. There is a reason the property was left to you in the first place and not your uncle. If you don't want the house, sell it. Tell your uncle you plan on selling the house and plop down a for sale sign. I am sure the new owners don't want Uncle Deadbeat living on their couch either.

As for the question of home ownership, I am opposed to it just because it has brought me only problems.

12. ranger56528

ranger56528

If the house is in your name and your your name only put it up for sale,when it sells he will have to move.I dont know the value of your home but if it were me I would sell the house,buy 3-4 acres out in the country and put up a double wide pre built house,heck you might even have some money left over to buy a toy like a atv or something.....Being single you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.....

13. kiole

kiole

Remember that if he leave him in charge of paying the bills, and taxes. You could very well lose the house to the state.

Your best bet is to sell the home and use that money to buy a piece of property and put a house on it.

14. JMS

JMS 02

A)If the only reason you want to move is b/c of him, kick him out.

B)If you want to move, sell this property and move

C)1.5 hour commute to work gets old quick

15. captainstormy

captainstormy

+1

If you really do want to move, you should either rent out or sell the house. Either way, get rid of the uncle.

I couldn't imagine a 1.5 hour drive one way. I worked with a guy once who drove that long one way into work. After about 2 months of that he ended up renting a studio apartment in the city and only going home to his house with his wife on Friday nights.

16. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Look, I know he's your uncle and all but it's YOUR house and you are getting walked all over. Man up and tell him to pack his **** and get out. You have it made save for a place to shoot. Why would you want to move out of a paid-for house 15 minutes from work just to have a mortgage and an hour and a half commute. I don't know you but sounds like you are just trying to avoid making a hard choice here with your family.

Greg

17. Wild Gene

Wild Gene

1. Your Uncle has no respect for you, no need to respect him. Give him the boot. Stop messing with us. Call the sheriff.

2. I have seen a lot of people buy their "little piece of heaven". Guess what, you live farther away from town and your auto expenses have doubled because you don't remember to buy food, etc. at the store the first time.

3. What kind of tractor are you going to buy? Well, a DR. trimmer would work, it will just take a little longer. You don't really have weekends in the country.

I could go on, just don't think living in the country doesn't come with a lot of extra duty.

WG

18. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Well if you move out, and he stays, you better be darn sure that you have a renters agreement in place to establish that:

You own
    He Rents
    He Pays you $$

Then enforce it. .

Why not stay where you are, and buy a smaller place in the country for weekend?

19. 220-9er

220-9er

Two separate issues.
    1. The Uncle.
    2. The house meeting your needs.

1. I would sit down with your uncle and have a discussion to nail down exactly his plan and commitment to move out. Put it in writing if possible. Shouting matches usually don't help solve the problem and can make the rest of your family situation worse.

2. I'm not sure that moving 1.5 hours away from work that you commute to daily makes sense to be closer to your hobbies that you do less frequently. Maybe this house isn't ideal for other reasons so I would deal with it on that basis. I wouldn't move just to make it easier to evict the uncle. Also your income may make it hard for you to purchase something much nicer than you already have.

20. nsl

nsl

Just want to let you know I grew up in the country, and other than a few more acres to mow, and the ticks, it wasn't much differant as far as yard work, etc than where I live now. The leaves are absolute hell here, as it is always too wet or windy to burn. Have had my eye on a place right across the road from the family farm for a while now. Only one acre, and a house about like this one, but about 80 acres across the road to shoot on would be cool. Things holding me back on checking more into it are: As I mentioned, the drive: and of course, this house.