close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home networking going wireless

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Clyde in CO, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

Hey all

I need a crash course in wireless home networking.

Current network is wired, long cable comes in from outside thru the window. Windows soon to be replaced, and the homeowner wants to go wireless instead of finding a way to run cable inside the house.

So, I have to get a router and set it up.

Not a total networking novice, but haven't done wireless before.

My first concern is bandwidth. With a decent gaming wireless unit will I get good speed?

And next is security. I have very little of an idea of what I need to do to secure the connection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

end of line

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Uh... It sounds like you're running your network with your neighbor.. This would probably be highly illegal and likely a violation of the service contract, not to mention very iffy within GT's rules. I guess you could be running it in from someone who rents your Garage.

As far as Security goes, there is nothing that will work as well as a wired set up. If you've done it this long with Cat 5 cable running between your windows, then you're probably close enough to just break out a shovel, some 1.5in PVC pipe... Its not like you have to bury it 10ft deep.. You're talking maybe 2ft trench(just enough to cover the hole).

Ethics aside...

Wireless is so hit and miss going through walls, dropped connections, etc. You find out all of this of course, after you've bought all the minimum equipment needed(router and wireless cards). Then you need to buy more/different equipment to "hopefully" make it work. Running Cat 6 cable, unless YOU screw something up, is almost 100% guaranteed to work.

Given how heavy gaming is on bandwidth, it would probably be more stable on a wired router, as opposed to wireless..., I have little experience with wireless, other than setting it up for a friend, and ran into several of the problems I mentioned above. After running Cat 5(which was a pain, I admit), it worked perfectly.

IGF

3. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

I travel a lot for work.

Since Novemeber of last year, the total number of days off I've had at home don't total two months.

I don't own a home, so instead of wasting money on an apartment that I'm never in, I moved back in with my folks.

I don't consider myself a 30 year old loser living in the paren't basement, I am a good son who has a nice visit with his parents every couple of months.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I didn't suggest you were a loser, etc..(I thought you were sharing with a neighbor, you wouldn't be the first, and you're probably not the first 30yr old living with parents because of simplicity)

I'm not doubting what you're saying, I'm just saying if the two places you're wanting to run the wireless connections to, are two different addresses, its shaky ground. From the sounds of it, its all 1 address. If thats the case, is there any way you can just run ethernet cable? If you're on a basement/crawl space, drill a couople small holes behind each PC, run cable into the crawl/basement, and bring it up where the other PC is. Thats what I did for me and mine, took all of about 1hr. Benefit of course, is that you already have the equipment for that, only thing you need to get, is maybe more ethernet cable(certainly cheaper than Wireless router/cards, etc.)

IGF

5. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

no worries mate :thumbsup:

thanks for the info

6. lens

lens

Having a forced hot water heating system has its advantages. Since I have 2 pipes thru the floor in each room, I've always tried to pull any cables thru the hole beside the pipe. Many fewer holes in the floor needed this way.

If you have a forced hot air system, this may not work, or perhaps you can drill thru the flange, again minimizing the damage and number of holes in the floor.