Home network question.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Mar 28, 2005.

1. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I did a search but didn't find the anwser for this.

I have two computers at home running XPsp2. Can I just hook a network cable between the two to network, or do I need a router or hub ro something? If I can, do I need a straight through or a crossover type cable?
    I would appreciate any info you can give, including recomendations. Thanks.

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

Sgt. Schultz is correct. If there is no router or hub or switch then you use a crossover. Here is the reasoning behind that.

If you were to look at the pins on a ethernet port they would all have the same function in both computers. Let's think of them as some pins are outbound and some are inbound. If you hook two computers together with a straight through cable then both outbound pins would be connected and data wouldn't flow. If you use a crossover then the outbound pins on computer would be connected to the inbound pins on the other computer. Make sense? If you use a router or switch or hub, then that device will automatically do the crossover for you.

Hope that makes sense.

If you just want to network those two computers I would just use a simple switch. They are cheap and work well. If you want to throw the internet into the network then you will need a router and that would the easiest set up then.

Asking advice about brands is a loaded question. It's kinda like asking whether I should buy a Glock or XD, in 40 or 45.
    I personally like Linksys.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I suggest getting a crossover cable for now. Cheap, easy, and effective.

Then if you need to network another machine in later you can get a switch (hub) and feed it with the original crossover cable, but you would just use standard CAT5 cables to link the other machines.

5. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I was just looking into getting DSL and if I sign up now I get a router free. Will this do the same as a Switch or hub?

The Westell Versalink is a combination of a high-speed DSL modem and a 4-port wireless home networking router. With the Versalink, you can connect up to four computers in your home to a single DSL connection.

Westell Versalink features include:

* Integrated DSL modem
    * Ability to share your DSL connection with or without wires
    * Built-in 802.11g wireless home networking capabilities
    * Premium firewall

For those of you who have Vreison DSL, How is it? Is there anything I should be aware of before signing a year contract? Like haveing to have a second line or line upgrade? Thanks for all of the help so far, I am new to the whole network thing, but I am starting to get it though.

lomfs24,

That makes perfect sence. Thanks.

6. nickg

nickg

i have had Verizon DSL since December. after 10 years of dial up DSL is a godsend.

when i signed up i was provisioned at 1500/384 at $29.95 per month. now ALL Verizon DSL customers can upgrade to 3000/768 at the same monthly cost (providing your loop from the CO is within the limits). i just got upgraded last thursday.

i haven't hit 3000 mbps speed yet but i'm constantly around 2700-2800 no problem.

in regards to the Westell Versalink 327, that's the same modem i have. i too am looking for information as to how to set up a network with it as my son will be coming home from college during the summer and we want to set up his system in his room while i still have access to mine. so i have to do some investigating as how to do this as well.

i'm sure i can run a very long ethernet cable, but i'd prefer NOT to do that. so i'm looking for wireless setup info about the 327.

check out www.dslreports.com. it's a great site for DSL info in general and they have a Verizon DSL forum as well, along with a Westell Forum.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Here, if you have a laptop, get this:

NETGEAR WGTB511T 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router and Wireless PC Card Kit - wireless router

If no laptop, this:
    108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router Model WGT624
    and
    108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter Model WG311T

Those are about $100-$150 for either set and they are easy to setup and get going.

Make sure you run 128 Bit or better encryption.
    DanH