Home made scent cover?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by frank4570, Nov 13, 2005.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I have a bucket sitting here with a lot of leaves in it and just enough water to get them all soaked. I am hoping after a few days or weeks the water will have a strong leaf smell then I can spray my clothes with it or soak them then let them dry.Anybody have any other ideas that work?

2. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

What I do is use dog fennel as a cover scent. The night before the hunt I will pick some dog fennel and place it in a paper bag with my clothes. I then take some fresh dog fennel and rub it all over me before going to my stand. Try it it works like a champ.

3. A.F. Lineman

A.F. Lineman

I have always used sage. Grows where I hunt and hides the scent well. Walk through a bunch when I get out of the truck, and then stuff a few sprigs in my pocket. Has worked well for years.

4. joker1

joker1

I have a $15.00 blender I use just to puree a little red cedar leaves and queen ann's lace in a little distilled water. I freeze little containers of this stuff. I'll throw one in a garbage bag with my clothes and set one in the tree with me to melt and release cover scent. Seems to work pretty well if i can keep my dogs' scent off me.

5. noway

noway

The above is fine and dandy and probably works for you. The orginal should use a cover scent that match his/her enviroment. It wouldn't be wise to introduce a cover scent that doesn't fit your area;

I.e

sage in SE/fla would probably alert a wise deer of something wrong but than again deer are strange and courious ;)

What I have used in the past with no big positive results have been dilute applecider and water or vanilla and water. But Like I said, no big results and no deer running out and jumping in my blind ;)

Staying downwind, keeping your body free of unwanted scents that will alert a deer and just plain common sense would be be the best approach. Also using animals scents from coons/skunks etc... would be probably better since these are natures animals for most of the states. Just don't spray your clothes or immediate area with coyote urine. That would surely keep alot of animals away ;)

just my 0.02c input.

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

This isn't a cover but an eliminator. I actually prefer to smell like nothing (especially when I get home after a long day of hunting).

Got the receipe earlier this year from an archery forum...

1 gal. distilled water
    16 oz. (or up to 1 gal) of 3% hyd. peroxide
    1/2 lb. (a little over one cup) baking soda
    2-3 tablespoons of the green H.S. scent away soap

Mix it thoroughly in a clean bucket over a couple of days until it stops fizzing.

Go ahead and soak your cloths and let them line dry.

It will rust metal (like the small screws in your binos) so I wouldn't spray it on your bow or firearms.

It works as well as the commercial stuff and it is cheap as can be. I bought enough of the $8 bottled scent killer and was tired of being ripped off and left feeling like an idiot. I made several gallons for the cost of one commercial bottle of the spray. Fortunately, I saved alot of the spray bottles.

I also carry a small bottle to reapply as needed in the field.

7. GeorgiaGlockMan

what is dog "fennel"?

Check out the times in these pics.

I've been considering letting my dog sleep with me after I got these from my game cam.

OK not really but the thought did cross my mind once or twice.

8. GeorgiaGlockMan

9. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

I don’t have much faith in “cover scents”…

Why? Here’s an example:

Go buy yourself a can of “air freshener” & a can of “air deodorizer” from your local grocery store.

The can of “air freshener” works just like the “cover scent” does & the can of “air deodorizer” works just like the “scent killer” does…

Now take those 2 cans & go into your bathroom with the door closed & stink it up real good! (Preferably after a good taco diner the night before. ^c)

Now grab the can of “air freshener” (AKA “cover scent”) & spray it… what do you get? All you get is the EXACT same stinky smell as before only now it has some other frilly smell mixed in with it… IOW, the smell wasn’t taken care of, it’s still there.

Now grab the can of “air deodorizer” (AKA “scent killer”) & spray it… notice how there’s no more stink smell… that’s because it actually breaks down the odor.

Just my 2 cents on the whole “cover scent” thing.

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have had good luck with Red Fox cover scent as well as Skunk. Mainly because if there is a Red Fox in the area there are no other larger predators so the deer are put at ease. Same with a skunk, if there is a skunk in the area there are no other predators and deer seem to be more at ease. Of course, my wife won't let me back in the house if I used skunk.

In reality, if I am in a tree stand I have not taken a shower for three days and gone out after eating a nice greasy bacon and egg breakfast and deer haven't even noticed that I was there.

Just my two cents.

11. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

12. GeorgiaGlockMan