close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home invasion last night.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by billd203, Mar 13, 2010.

1. billd203

billd203

There was a home invasion less than a mile form my house last night. When I went to look it up I found out that there have been 3 total home invasions in my town since October. Last night four masked men entered a home and tied up the people inside. No one was harmed. Scary stuff. I also live the next town over from the Pettit Family. What is wrong with people! I am buying a Mossberg 500 tactical today! Time to get prepared.

2. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Good on ya. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Also keep in mind, that in addition to owning a HD weapon, it's important to mind where you keep that weapon. Being able to get it ready, and not have to go to another room, or fish for it outta the top shelf of the closet is vital, IMO. Of course, a lot of that depends if you have small kids around, as well.

No lil' ones for me at this point, so the Glock sits on the computer desk, and the Mossberg 500 is leaning up in a corner in the living room. When I go to bed, they go with me, and I keep them within arm's reach.

3. farley45

farley45

Wow!

Besides the firearms you need to look into some target hardening for your home as well. If you don't know anything about it call up your local PD and see if they have a crime prevention unit, they will give you some good advice.

4. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

That is scary stuff :wow:

Good job on taking the first step toward being prepared :2gun:

People must refuse to be victims and get prepared(dogs, guns, security systems, etc)...with the state our nation is in right now and where were headed, crime will only become worse. Those people should thank their lucky stars they were not murdered :shocked:

5. 69 Mach One

69 Mach One

Best defense is to get a handgun, CCW & have it on you at all times in addition to the shotgun.

6. alfred10

alfred10

I use an AK 47 with a 40 round mag and a stream light. Everyone complains about over penetration BUT if they are wearing a vest it will work. Also would be easier for me to fight more than one attacker. FYI a friend of mine has a nighbor who had 2 men with ski masks kick his door in. He had guns but never got to them. Suggest carrying a fanny pack around the house...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  7. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Like with martians and everything?

[​IMG]

8. gsotec

gsotec

You need a plan that you practice,a quality firearm,quality flashlight and either a portable phone or reliable cell phone. The tape of the 911 call may become good evidence in your defense. Oops I forgot to add a good dog....works better than an alarm

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  9. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

Have they been random?

10. readthesenikes

readthesenikes

Times are bad and crime will get worse. People will keep their "habits" going at any cost. I would also suggest a good flashlight like a Surefire or Streamlight along with your HD weapon.

11. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

So...You didn't realize earlier that the World is a brutal place full of crappy people?
    I'm glad You found your way thru.
    Congratulations.
    Now may I suggest that instead of shotgun You should take a look at a railed super-duper tactical rifle with the battle optics, tactical light and urban camo stock?
    Like the one used by the cool guys in the military magazines.
    You also should start sleeping while wearing military boots.
    Without those You may feel inferior here on the GT...sometimes :supergrin:
    Now on a more serious note.
    Just take the shotgun to the range a few times.
    Stay safe.

12. happy seal

happy seal

What town was it in? I googled but nothing but the chesire news was present.

But we dont need to be armed, the police will protect us! :steamed:

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I keep the stereo close with old country songs to kill the "invaders". :supergrin: That was the best part of that movie.:cool:

14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Those seem to be happening all over. But most of the time it is people they know by some chance. It does make me think that everyone needs to pack heat even in their own home 24/7 and keep shotguns pointed at all doors and windows. :shocked:

15. Puppy

Puppy

We had an attempted home invasion about 5 years ago, they knocked on the door then forced their way inside when it was answered.

I don't think we were the targets of the home invasion as one of them kept asking where my neighbor was, this was of course while he was nervously staring down the barrel of my Colt Combat Commander.

Anyway I am really glad that I was armed at the time, there is no telling what might have happened to my wife & daughter if I hadn't been.

16. Puppy

Puppy

The song was/is; Indian love call, sung by Slim Whitman.

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I couldn't remember the name but it was great when the little ole lady and her grandson saved the world. :supergrin:

18. Phoenix_III

Phoenix_III T5-SHTFChieftan

How do you get crime statistics for your area?

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

As said often the folks "invaded" have contact with criminals. (or the criminals get word that house may have something they want.) "drugs, money, guns, etc"

I have to agree take a look at your doors, look at interior door (likely bathroom) that you can use as a retreat point. Stick a old cell phone in there (charged monthly) and depending on your house/family weapons.
    The normal progression. "You use the pistol to get to the rifle/shotgun" I can't argue against a plain Jane Mossy. Just make sure you go thru a couple boxes of ammo in it. (say some Wally World $23 per 100 6 shot) to get used to handleing it. ) A round of clays, (Esp if they allow you to fully load/top off as you hit stations) I got to do one where wife ran remote. Sometimes multiple doubles at same station. (just a hint of stress to reload)

20. Puppy

Puppy

Yea I'm a long-time Slim Whitman fan, I started getting into Slim after I saw Andy Kaufman sing Rose Marie on Letterman back in the early 80's, so I was pretty tickled when I saw Slim's music being featured in a film.