close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home invasion averted by my 4 Month old pitbull

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Artacticool, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Artacticool

Artacticool

So I'm new to the forum and although I always wanted to excercise my right to bear arms living in NJ always made it a secondary priority with the strict laws and wait times.

But then 2 months ago my wife gets a knock at the door, she answers with my then 4 month old APBT by the collar in one hand and my 5 month old daughter in the other arm.

This was a Friday, this guy proceeds to ask my wife for me by name and says that I own the house down the block and he is looking for the person who is renting it. My wife responds with no we just bought this house, now mind you we don't live in a particularly bad part of jersey or town for that matter. But he insists that I own this house and asks her to step in to the foyer to show her this paper he had which had my name my former place of employment and stated that I owned the house. So of course my wife didn't go out but instead asked is theres a problem he was posing as an FBI agent with a badge and everything. Flashes his ID like they do in the movies real quick, he says no there is no problem with a dog like that no one is going to rob this house. Now of course my wife starts thinking why the hell would he say that it wasn't part of the conversation. So he then just says well the person who is renting that house is owed some money and they were just looking to get in touch with him.

After that he left, my wife calls me and tells me what happened. ( She is very street wise) Tells me she is not comfortable and would like me to come home so I did. The weekend past and its just bothering me so that Monday I called the tax department to find out if maybe when I bought my house someone screwed up with the paper work. You guessed it not listed in my name, so I call the Police department, FBI office in my area, and the sheriffs department. Asked them if they had sent out an officer that Friday well you guessed again no officer was sent out.

A week later a man in a town not to far from mine was home invaded by four men posing as officers, they tied him up and robbed him.

A week before my incident a man had posed as a department of water works technician and also robbed the home.

Since then I have had an alarm system installed, installed out door surveillence with recording capabilities and will soon be armed.

But I attribute the non-invasion to my dog who at 4 months 55 pounds with cropped ears scared him off and for that he will always get a little extra at dinner. He too is now being trained in personal protection.

Nothing is more important to me then my family and I will do what ever it takes to protect them PERIOD!

I'll post some pics of my dog tomorrow. Got to figure out how to do it on this site. Hope I used the right forum, if not MOD please move it.

2. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

but but but, an APBT will eat your children.

Seriously though, I love those dogs.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight

Most criminals are, by their very nature, cowards. I have heard interviews with convicted home burglars, and they always said they did NOT want to have to mess with a dog.

Unless meth is involved, of course. Then all bets are of.

Your dog has earned his keep for the rest of his life, already.:whistling:

4. skorper

skorper harborrat

Dogs are great. The best thing you can do, after arming yourself of course, is to get a dog.

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm glad everything turned out okie dokie for you my friend:phew:

6. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Not to give too much away, but you can go to any City Hall or County Courthouse and get information on who owns what house in your neighborhood. After that, just some simple google searches (this is why Facebook is stupid) and anyone could get enough info on you and your neighbors.

Ohh and look what I can find in a half a second. Scary stuff. Police cannot enter your home without a warrant. When in doubt call 911.

[​IMG]

PS give that pitbull a nice steak dinner as a reward for being ....well a pitbull.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Glad it worked out... And don't take this the wrong way, but.

Knocking on my door and/or ringing my doorbell does not mean I'm under any obligation to open it. An entire conversation can be had through a locked door, and a safety vigilant homeowner won't rub the real police the wrong way.

Take away the dog and you have everything a bad guy is looking for, a female he can overpower with her hands full and an open door.

8. Artacticool

Artacticool

Yeah he's a good dog now at 6 months he is really starting to show signs of protectiveness. more vocal and alert to his surroundings. Gives me peace since I work an hour away.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Artacticool

Artacticool

I agree 110%

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I'm glad it turned out well. Once the door was open the fake FBI guy could certainly have done some harm.

A 4 month old dog of any size usually isn't mentally developed enough to be much use in a fight.

4 months old and 55 pounds?

That isn't a pitbull. It's a mastiff!

11. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Damn, that is some scary sh&t. What firearms training does your wife have now and what firearm does she carry when she answers the door?

She did get training and does carry a weapon now, right?

12. 4 glocks

4 glocks

First like someone said Do not open the door. Tell them to call your cell phone and we can talk. No need to open the door. I think the dog saved your wife this time.

I worked with someone and his house was broken into 3-4 times even after installing an alarm system. One time the alarm co. called him at work and he drove 15 miles to his house and beat the Police there. The guy next door had a big dog in his yard his house was never broken into.

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Glad you were not hurt. Dogs are great company and good companions.

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
    [​IMG]

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

The first thing you need to do is train your wife.

Not to open the door to strange men, period. Or even a female. Maybe kids selling girl scout cookies or something, but there's nothing a strange male, alone needs.

50 years ago, people would give no thought to this. But in today's age... even if you were home she shouldn't open the door to a strange man. He could barge past her and go straight to you before you have time to react.

The doorbell rings (or knocks) and it's a man by himself, I'll deal with him (if I'm home) or my wife will talk to him through the door. That's the rule.

15. Artacticool

Artacticool

I agree 110% we have had this discussion and is now following the same protocol.

16. Artacticool

Artacticool

I knew this questoin would arise sooner or later. Although my fur kid is papered at being an apbt he really falls into the bully category. That being an XL Pitbull. Where as most traditional pitbulls (Game Dogs) max out in weight around 55 to 60 pounds mine will be some where in the 100 to 130 pound range. His father was 130 lbs and his mother 125 both 22 inches at the withers. My dog at 6 months is somewhere arount 60 to 65 lbs. Ther is no doubt in my mind he has some other dna lineage in his line regardless of what his 7 year pedigree states. I'm not ignorant ot the fact that some breeders hang there paperwork. I'm going to post some pics shortly of this stud LOL :supergrin:

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Glad to hear it.

As I re-read my post, I came across a little strong, but this serious business IMO.

The days of door-to-door salesman are long gone. If a stranger knocks on my door, I'm automatically suspicious. WAY too much crazy stuff going on these days.

18. Artacticool

Artacticool

We're still working on that. I just got my FID and permit to purchase, but as I stated, well at least I think I did in this thread; I live in NJ which has some of the most or the most strict gun laws in the country. Although I have frequented many ranges with rental options supervised by an RO and not completely a rook at handling firearms I will admit I am a novice.

My wife has never fired a weapon and as soon as I get mine we both are taking both saftey and handling courses & will frequent our local range, until I feel comfortable that she can safely and confidently defend her self and the kids.

Which leads me to my next question and although there are many threads with ammo opinions, I don't think i noticed one that specifically discusses home defense and what amo, grain weight and bullet type is best used to stop a threat without overpenetrating. Advise in this regard would greatly be appreciated.

19. Artacticool

Artacticool

No worries, as I said I agree and feel the same as you.

20. Artacticool

Artacticool

As Promised here are some pics

4 Months old [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 Months old thins out but weighs more due to his bone structure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]