Home DVR video surveillance

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by orangedawg19, Jun 19, 2007.

1. orangedawg19

orangedawg19

I dont know if this is the right forum to be asking but I'm sure plenty of you here are knowledgeable on video cameras and stuff, so here goes.

I'm looking to get a small personal camera for video surveillance in a home setting. I've seen 4 channel DVR w/ HD setups and thats fine, but a little pricey given what it is. Basically, do they make some standalone video card to input the video from the cameras, and I can add my own external HD (for like 150 bucks off newegg for a 300GB one)?

Is that possible? Am I going about this the right way? Any help or suggestion which forum this is best to go to would be great too. Thanks in advance!

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

I don't think so. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you need a computer with a decent video card to run some software to store the video image as a file. The HD needs the video information in the a form it can store, like a file.

The video card converts the signal to a digital stream (there are external card and even some cameras now have USB outputs), but I think you still need some software in between to create a file. You would certainly need a computer to read the info back off the drive anyway.

I would love to know if you could go straight to a HD like a Glyph drive. I've not seen any set up like that.

Where are you looking/buying cameras from? I found some good prices at Fryselectronics.

:patriot:

3. orangedawg19

orangedawg19

Yeah that was one of the things I didn't want to do, leave my laptop on all the time to help run this software, plus I'd have to mount the DVR card in some box to run it since I have no desktop tower. I mean I COULD get a tower cheap and do that, but I'm already with a price close to the standalone untis w/HDs that I've seen, somewhere around 7-800 cheapest. Right now I have a 300 GB external HD off my laptops USB for data storage constantly running when the computer is on, and its been great for almost a year now.

Thanks for the input though.

4. orangedawg19

orangedawg19

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

Why not get standard security recorder, $400-$600?

:patriot:

6. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

Yeah, like that. Older ones record onto VHS tape or DVD. No need for a computer.

That one looks promising.