GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
JAFO
4,307 Posts
Mossberg all day, every day. The quality is about the same, but their thumb-safety is more logical than a cross-bar.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If money weren't a problem I would like a benelli, i have an old 500 with an 18" barrell and shockwave grip. Has a side saddle and it's loaded up with 00 buck. I have no need for anything more. I do have plenty of guns close by but of things ever get sideways, that's my go to. I like the controls of the mossberg more. I really like the tang safety. I wouldn't put to much thought into it. Try to handle both and buy the one that feels most natural in the hand. If you can't, then buy what's available and learn to use it. Won't be hard if you've never used one, no old habits to break.

·
Gringo Viejo
28,507 Posts
I used to own older Remington Wingmasters. Great slick guns. Only draw back is replacing the ejector requires a gunsmith. Newer Remington Express models are not up to the old Wingmasters quality and they rust quickly. Today I'll take Mossbergs, 590 or 500 first and Mavericks last. I do believe that the Mavericks are the best bang for the buck. YMMV. tom. :cowboy:

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I would say neither. I am partial to my KS7 for home defense.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ford vs Chevy. Go to a gun shop and handle both to see which fits you better. Both have pros and cons but are solid choices.
This. I don't think it makes much difference, especially if you shoot a lot after you buy it.

Nice thing about shotguns is ammo seems to be always available. It may only be bird shot, but at least it's something and something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Both are good shotguns that have been around for a long time. You won't go wrong with either one. The best advice I can give you is to try both out and go with the one that fits you the best.

I own both and prefer the Mossberg since it has the tang safety and I shoot left handed. The other thing is that the lifter on my Mossberg does not pinch my fingers like the lifter on the Remington does.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Rem is considered by most to be better built . But the mossberg does have some features I like better , tang safety one , second is the mossberg is a lot easier to unload with out cycling the rounds through the action. You can do it with the rem to but its alot more fumbling to do so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My two cents...try to find a trade in LEO Remington 870Police...they aren’t shot much, and are pretty well maintained. Finish will be worn but will work like a charm forever ... if finish counts, any number of places can parkerize it to its original look. I’ve had mine for 32 years... still running

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
870s are what I was used to in the service, so what I have picked for myself.
The safety is not engaged with "cruiser ready" which is how I have my 870p waiting, but I agree the Mossberg has a better positioned control.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It really boils down to ergonomics and which one fits the individual the best. Both are well proven and both have been used for a long time in the military.

·
Spewer of TROOF
9,429 Posts
Whatever your HD shotgun is should be the same brand as your sporting shotgun

i Have a mossberg 835 (same as the 500 but for 3.5” shells) and my HD gun is the 590.

a season of ducks, pheasants and grouse hunting really sharpens the skills. So when a bump in the night is heard I know where all the controls are and how to run it In the dark

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can't go wrong. I owned a 590, was issued an 870, was an armorer and took care of my 870 and those of other officers. The 870s came through the armory for PM, repair etc. once a year. They were most always dry, uncleaned after range sessions, and sometimes rusty due to water leaking into trunks where they were kept, etc. But except for very rare occasion, they continued to function properly.

I preferred the 590 to the 870, and would likely still have it had I not traded it on a new Remington 11-87 Police model some years ago. Good as the 590 was, I don't regret trading for the 11-87. The 11-87 has been pump gun reliable, i.e., never malfunctioned or required repair.

BTW, reference mention of "cruiser ready" for shotguns. Our local department carried shotguns cruiser ready, safety off, for many years. At some point a few years ago, it was decided, by the chief I guess, that cruiser ready would now include having the safety on. I have to admit that the first shoot I attended with the new "safety on" rule in place, caused me some momentary discombobulation when the trigger of an 870 would not pull. I was not issued an 870 at the time, and the gun was a misc. 870 to be picked up from a barrel, and used in a stage meant to simulate a potential real World situation, and attendant stress. It did simulate real world stress when the trigger did not pull immediately as expected:brickwall:

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Leaning towards Mossberg given the wording in the thread title, but if I had to chose between the two of them I d pick the Saiga 12.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you should buy a shotgun, because at night it is much more difficult to aim at a robber than to put one shot into his body!)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts