GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Have an 870 that’s over 25 years old. Bought it for under $200.00, with chokes and a 28’ barrel. Solid shotgun. I’d like to find a short barrel for home defense. I believe it holds 9 shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you have an extended tube on it, it doesn't hold 9 shells. With a 28" barrel, I'm going to bet it is set up as a hunting gun, not a tactical gun and holds 4+1. Nothing wrong with that though. Guarantee you that home and hearth has been defended with a bird gun before!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I like the 500 over the 870 for the tang safety. Both are reliable. I personally have the 500 flex and I am happy with it. Loaded with 00 buck. Would recommend you put a light on it and a sling at minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Read a review of both in a gun mag. They were judged equal in quality and accuracy but the reviewer said the Mossberg was easier for a gunsmith or individual to replace parts or otherwise work on. I went with the Mossberg

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Watch some YouTube videos on how much shotguns spread with different rounds. You need to aim, same as a pistol. Yes, you can point shoot up very close. No, you can’t just shoot in the general direction, any other time.

I’m left eye dominant and shoot all long guns left-handed, when possible.
May be a semantics type of thing. When I hear the word "aim", I think sight alignment and sight picture. When I am shooting clays or doves, I am definitely not aiming in that sense... I am swinging the gun through the target and firing where the target should be. I'm pointing in front of the target when I pull the trigger. I'm not looking down the barrel or focusing on the bead, as I am focusing on the target with both eyes open. If you are looking at the bead and aiming in that type of shooting, you will be missing the target.

Bring that into the HD type scenario, it is similar. I'm still pointing the shotgun, as I still have both eyes open and focusing on the target, not the bead or barrel. I do have the firearm mounted properly, with a good cheek weld where it is aligned with my eyes though. It isn't just "point in the general direction", but more a focused point like pointing to center of mass. The only time I would "aim" is if I was using slugs. I guess the distinction, in my mind anyway, when aiming you are picking a precise spot on the target, such as a button on a shirt, where with pointing it is keeping the pattern on target.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have 2 Mossy 500s in 12 ga and one in 20 ga. Have had the 20 ga since 1973 with no problems and one of the 12 ga since 1978 with no problems. One 12 ga is for hunting and the other for home defense. The 20 ga does double duty as a quail gun and home defense (with the 18" barrel) for the wife. As has been stated, Ford or Chevy with the Rem. I like the tang safety My son has a 500 and his wife an 870. You are going to have to get the feel of both to decide, but in reality, may come down to what is available.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I have an 870, but I bought it used 30+ years ago. I've no idea how old it actually is. It started out life as a Wingmaster, but the barrel was shortened to 18 inches and it now has a Hogue stock and forend. I like it.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I have 2 Mossy 500s in 12 ga and one in 20 ga. Have had the 20 ga since 1973 with no problems and one of the 12 ga since 1978 with no problems. One 12 ga is for hunting and the other for home defense. The 20 ga does double duty as a quail gun and home defense (with the 18" barrel) for the wife. As has been stated, Ford or Chevy with the Rem. I like the tang safety My son has a 500 and his wife an 870. You are going to have to get the feel of both to decide, but in reality, may come down to what is available.
We have both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. I keep them with the tube full, chamber empty, hammer down, safety off. This way it doesn't matter where the safety or the action release is located... pump a round into the chamber and you are ready to fire with either gun.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We have both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. I keep them with the tube full, chamber empty, hammer down, safety off. This way it doesn't matter where the safety or the action release is located... pump a round into the chamber and you are ready to fire with either gun.
Cruiser ready...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
03F0F87A-2541-4440-922D-25D323D820BD.jpeg
Here’s my bedside setup, Glock 23 with a TLR1-HL and a Remington 870 tactical

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
We had Mossberg's in the USN. Liked them fine, so that is what I bought myself. Have a 500 and a 590. They have been reliable.

Have shot 870s that belong to other people and they were fine as well.

My only issue is that I have read some pretty negative comments about recent Remington QC. No personal experience with a new Remington.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have three Glocks for CCW. I am not a shotgun guy but I am trying to convince myself I should buy a home defense shotgun.

I have read about the Mossberg 500 or 590 and the Remington 870. I have also read articles and reviews about both and as usual the Mossberg and Remington have various advantages and disadvantages.

Does anyone have experience or opinions with these shotguns that you can share?

Also with the current gun buying frenzy I would be surprised if I could find a new shotgun. I have looked on Armslist and Gunbroker. I have never bought a used firearm and I have never used a firearms "auction" site. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks very much, Bill
i don't have any shotgun(s) as of yet, but a few guys at the range claim for the price, a Maverick 88 is darned good.

·
NRA Life Member
63,403 Posts
I have three Glocks for CCW. I am not a shotgun guy but I am trying to convince myself I should buy a home defense shotgun.

I have read about the Mossberg 500 or 590 and the Remington 870. I have also read articles and reviews about both and as usual the Mossberg and Remington have various advantages and disadvantages.

Also with the current gun buying frenzy I would be surprised if I could find a new shotgun. I have looked on Armslist and Gunbroker. I have never bought a used firearm and I have never used a firearms "auction" site. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks very much, Bill
Shotguns aren't that hard to find - much easier than most rifles and shotguns.

Keep in mind that you can always change the barrel length. If you want an 870 with an 18 or 20 inch barrel and the store has 26" hunting barrels, it takes 10 seconds to switch barrels and you can always sell the old one on eBay to get some of your money back. Same for the Mossberg 500. You can replace the barrel on either for $100 to $150.

·
NRA Life Member
63,403 Posts
Yes, but I have been told it is not cruiser ready because I do not have the safety on.
I keep mine the same. I have never heard that "cruiser ready" required the safety to be on, from when I was taught that term in the police academy, in 1989, to now. Sounds like the kind of crap the newbs are spouting these days. Everything has to have 1 more safety rule.

Reactions: cyphertext

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,440 Posts
Also never heard the safety need be engaged for cruiser ready.

Reactions: FAS1

·
1,983 Posts
Well, Remington let 585 employees go in NY yesterday. The company that bought the plant won't have an FFL for 90-days. I should also mention they stiffed all 585 people by not paying the promised severance or accrued vacation time.

Mossberg may be the better option for a few months.

·
Registered
74,463 Posts

Thanks very much, Bill
Remington today is not the Remington of old. Get a Mossy or a Beretta 1301.

·
NRA Life Member, G.O.A Member
151 Posts
I'm partial to the Mossberg, but we had 870's in the cruiser. Both make an excellent choice.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts