61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
Reactions: agtman

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,668 Posts
Just my humble opinion, but I cannot possibly fathom a home defense scenario against any conceivable hostile attack that would need me to resort to a magazine-fed rifle in 308 Winchester.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I recently acquired a Hi Point carbine chambered in 10mm. I put the original stock in the gun safe; and installed the action in a High Tower Arms bullpup stock. So far, it has eaten everything without a hiccup. The barrel is 17 1/2 inches with an overall length of 27 1/2 inches. That length doesn't seem excessive for indoor use. Ten round magazines are the only choice right now; but a twenty rounder is said to be in the works.
I don't know that it is the best rifle for home defense; but I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with it.

20200807_140427.jpg

·
AAAMAD
30,416 Posts
I mean it wouldn’t be my first choice, but either of my AR-10’s would work in a pinch.

I’d much rather have one of my various AR-15’s, ideally either my 12.5 300 BO, 8.5 6.8, or 11.5 6.8, or 14.5 5.56. But I’d even take my 20 inch A4 over a -10.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
5.56MM. Light. Optic. VFG. Sling.

0-200 yards.

It should be good for about a 300 meter sternum shot. If you are a little high or low it is ok. Put on a nice 1-6x scope with a bdc reticle and you are good for maybe 200 meters more range. a cheap laser range finder adds even more range.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Just my humble opinion, but I cannot possibly fathom a home defense scenario against any conceivable hostile attack that would need me to resort to a magazine-fed rifle in 308 Winchester.
Did you watch that video that went around last week? Multiple suspects entered back door that was kicked in. The home owner owned a check cashing type business. I think there were four suspects. Appeared to be wearing body armor and armed with rifles, one with a pistol. A .308 or Shotgun (00/slug) would have been very appropriate.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
O.K., I submit!
No AR-10 for home defense even though I love the thought of a 600 yard AR weapon.
This brings me to my next question: If I were to purchase an AR-15 to which I would have to make minimum modifications, which brand should I be looking at?
Quality of build and durability is of greater concern than price.
What is your budget?

BCM is pretty good for around $1200. If you don't care how much you spend, there is LWRC. You might also look at FN SCAR.

I liked the scar 16 more than any ar I've ever shot.

·
Registered
263 Posts
46B48717-45C4-4F0F-923E-53151287CFCE.jpeg
50B04F44-3902-4EE6-963B-8E55CB74AD18.jpeg
I also have a High Point 4595TS, great rifle but a bit heavy. Saying that, I have 4 magazines always loaded though the rifle is in a cabinet.

For house defense I have a Rossi Circuit Judge filled with .410 PDX. I use this rifle as self defense so my wife can operate it in an emergency. She has a difficult time racking a slide on a pistol and a Circuit Judge is pretty light with a decent trigger press.

Its use becomes... pull the trigger until it stops and then it becomes a fairly light weight club. Also, its a nice looking rifle.

...Ron

·
Registered
19,618 Posts
I recently acquired a Hi Point carbine chambered in 10mm. I put the original stock in the gun safe; and installed the action in a High Tower Arms bullpup stock. So far, it has eaten everything without a hiccup. The barrel is 17 1/2 inches with an overall length of 27 1/2 inches. That length doesn't seem excessive for indoor use. Ten round magazines are the only choice right now; but a twenty rounder is said to be in the works.
I don't know that it is the best rifle for home defense; but I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with it.

View attachment 834094
Certainly improves the looks of the Hipoint, but I wouldn't want my face that close to where a kaboom would happen. It's my hangup with bullpups, especially with a modified hipoint.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts