GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,200 Posts
Another country boy here, other than 5.56, lever action carbines are more than adequate. I like the top loading, internal hammer Savage 99 in .300 Savage, mostly for outdoor predators. :)
Savage 99 is a nice rifle. I inherited a featherweight in .308 last year.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
While I enjoy 308, a 5.56 semi auto is more than adequate for anything within likely defensive range, including a suburban driveway, cul-de-sac or neighborhood street.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Here’s an interesting twist on the AR-15 that will provide more stopping power, the .458 Socom. You can buy a separate upper that will just drop onto your AR-15 lower. Uses the same AR15 mags that you own. Ammo is pricey but if it’s for home defense, just keep a few mags ready to go with some premium offerings from Underwood. It is a fairly short range weapon, a 100 yard gun. And man, is it ever going to deliver some stopping power. I am considering buying a .458 Socom upper myself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nation...fear-458-socom-bigger-bullet-ar-15-113176?amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Bitter American
365 Posts
NO for using an AR10 in the suburbs. I live in the sticks and still wouldn't use it in the house. I'm comfortable with a Springfield Armory XDM in 45 ACP, attached Streamlight and 14 round magazine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
O.K., I submit!
No AR-10 for home defense even though I love the thought of a 600 yard AR weapon.
This brings me to my next question: If I were to purchase an AR-15 to which I would have to make minimum modifications, which brand should I be looking at?
Quality of build and durability is of greater concern than price.

·
Registered
946 Posts
O.K., I submit!
No AR-10 for home defense even though I love the thought of a 600 yard AR weapon.
This brings me to my next question: If I were to purchase an AR-15 to which I would have to make minimum modifications, which brand should I be looking at?
LWRC piston AR15. No need to modify anything.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Would any of y'all choose an AR-10 for a home defense rifle?
(I have plenty of the other defense toys)
Pistol caliber carbines make fantastic HD weapons.

True rifles, ESPECIALLY in 7.62 are a sub-optimal choice.

But you’ve got the “Rifle-hammer” crowd that view every problem as a nail.

Use the right tool for the right job.

The car could be made for a suppressed .300 BLK rifle... but otherwise, just use a PCC.

Accurate hits on target as fast as you can pull the trigger in the pistol caliber of your choice will be plenty effective in defending yourself.

·
You're Going to Love my Nuts
1,936 Posts
O.K., I submit!
Aero Precision M4E1
M&P 15 Sport 2
Colt 6920

upper end is KAC, LMT and LWRC if you want a $2k plus rifle

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,200 Posts
O.K., I submit!
Any Colt. BMC, Danial Defense. I have a preban Colt AR15 Sporter II with a 20" barrel. I like it a lot.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,080 Posts
Old School home defense ... back then it was a 'family' thing.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

photo.JPG

:laughabove:

:cool:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Not to bend the topic, but Garand was an outstanding marksman. All he’d have to worry about was the round passing completely through the perp.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,080 Posts
Agtman, those pics make me proud to be an American. That is all. Thank you.
You're welcome! :flag:

IMG_0106.JPG

:laughabove: :cool: :laughabove: :cool:

41 - 60 of 85 Posts