GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Would any of y'all choose an AR-10 for a home defense rifle?
(I have plenty of the other defense toys)
Depends on where you live. If your rural an AR-10 is an all purpose rifle.
In town well "NO", I'd go with a 9mm rifle or a shot gun, handgun of your choice.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For inside a home, no, if that's the only firearm you have then yes. Lately I am really liking a couple of recent builds I just completed. An AR pistol with 8" barrel in 5.56 and one in 300blkout, both suppressed, subsonic loads run fantastic

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Too little information to make an intelligent recommendation.

Do you live in a stick built apartment building? I will tell you a story about a guy a couple of apartments over that accidentally discharged an old rifle that was an 8MM Mauser (?). He was pretty scared he may have killed his neighbor when he didn't answer the door. He was greatly relieved when I answered my door, but the fact that I had no holes in my wall didn't make him less concerned for the guy between us. He got management to open the intervening apartment to make sure no one was dead. Fortunately he lived on the top floor and it went out through the roof above one of our apartments.

Your environment matters a lot. Home construction, number of people that live there, closeness and construction of other residences nearby, ammo type. The list goes on.

Rifles indoors without hearing protection or suppressor could be a really bad idea.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Another country boy here, other than 5.56, lever action carbines are more than adequate. I like the top loading, internal hammer Savage 99 in .300 Savage, mostly for outdoor predators. :)

·
M62/76
11,945 Posts
While it wouldn’t be my first choice, yes, depending on what kind of AR-10 it is. If a KAC SR-25 Carbine with a quality optic, of course. A slapped together PSA AR-10, prob not.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I live in a suburban neighborhood with my wife surrounded by houses like mine.
I do not have a rifle and do want something that takes care of business with minimal effort.
An AR-10 would not be my 'go-to' gun inside if there is an issue but for quelling external interference, at least that is my current line of reasoning.
I haven't completely thought through this issue, as there is a lot to consider, but I wanted to get a general feel for what the community had to say about the idea.

Reactions: wyntrout

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I live in a suburban neighborhood with my wife surrounded by houses like mine.
I do not have a rifle and do want something that takes care of business with minimal effort.
An AR-10 would not be my 'go-to' gun inside if there is an issue but for quelling external interference, at least that is my current line of reasoning.
I haven't completely thought through this issue, as there is a lot to consider, but I wanted to get a general feel for what the community had to say about the idea.
If you can only afford one gun then go for the bigger one.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
While it wouldn’t be my first choice, yes, depending on what kind of AR-10 it is. If a KAC SR-25 Carbine with a quality optic, of course. A slapped together PSA AR-10, prob not.
Here we go with PSA bashing. Their premium line is good.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,087 Posts
I wouldn't chose any rifle for home defense. My choice would be a Glock 21 and for many years it was a 1911 and I shoot both guns very well.

Handguns are more maneuverable in close quarters, and 45 acp causes less damage to hearing even with Plus+P ammo, can be operated with one hand. Much less danger of over-penetration with JHP ammo than a 308.

The ideal home defense gun would be a Glock 30 with a short, compact suppressor, and G21 mags with an X-grip sleeve. Even 230 grain Plus+P ammo is subsonic.

·
M62/76
11,945 Posts
Here we go with PSA bashing. Their premium line is good.
Unsure how I’m really “bashing them” by saying they wouldn’t be my first choice in an AR-10, but ok. Are they as good as KAC guns?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Unsure how I’m really “bashing them” by saying they wouldn’t be my first choice in an AR-10, but ok. Are they as good as KAC guns?
Really? Slapped together??? Nobody said they were KAC. Yes you were bashing. At least own that. Enough BS’rs on here. PSA premium line is solid.

On to more truthful things.. A good solid AR in 5.56 is great. I don’t feel a 308 works for a lot of people. A 5.56 is more handy and can stop pretty much anything. A 308 is great though. I just don’t feel it’s the 1st choice.

·
M62/76
11,945 Posts
Really? Slapped together??? Nobody said they were KAC. Yes you were bashing. At least own that. Enough BS’rs on here. PSA premium line is solid.

On to more truthful things.. A good solid AR in 5.56 is great. I don’t feel a 308 works for a lot of people. A 5.56 is more handy and can stop pretty much anything. A 308 is great though. I just don’t feel it’s the 1st choice.
Didn’t specify factory build or bubba in his garage but it’s obviously set in your mind. PSA does build a decent rifle. I’ll still take a KAC over a PSA every day of the week.

Actually have a Form 1 in for a PSA SBR now.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,264 Posts
Inside the house 308 no. 5.56 maybe. 7.62x39 maybe. 9mm yes. 45 yes. 12/20 ga yes. All depends on the ammo. You also have to consider the misses and through and throughs. Also hearing and muzzle flash.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My neighbors all have brick or better exteriors and they aren't so close. If it's a mob... penetration is good... not excessive. I expect after a few shots that the rest will be running away, unless they came for a gun fight.
If I have time, I do have a heavy web belt with "tools" and my G-21SF and a bunch of extra mags.
I bought a G-21SF lower and a MechTech carbine conversion, but never shot it... wanted something besides pistols for reach, but then decided I wanted a .308 AR, so never fired the carbine. Will be trying to sell it this weekend and some ammo at a local gun show... not sure how the show will go, but maybe I can unload some ammo. I have the Kriss upgraded mags, too, plus a bunch of conversion kits... those work in my G-21SF and G-30S, too.

·
Patrol Corporal
831 Posts
I’m not a big fan of long guns for interior home defense but if I were to pick I would prefer the Ruger PC carbine.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts