Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everybody running in their home defense rifles? Right now I have some cheap brown bear 62 gain hp. Have a few mags loaded up with M855 also. Looking to add some more defense ammo to the collection but not sure what I really should get. Run Gold dots and Critical Duty in my glocks but not sure for rifle. Seen some Frontier 55 grain hp the other day at a good price but haven't seen many test or reviews on them.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I know most folks will probably suggest high end duty ammo. I have a 16" carbine loaded with standard 55 grain FMJ 5.56 (M193). At home defense distances, with velocities around 3000 fps, I don't feel a strong need to use hyper ammo.

·
JAFO
4,585 Posts
I run Hornady TAP 62 grain. I’m hoping that if it ever comes down to it that the controlled-expansion will do what it’s supposed to do.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,871 Posts
Federal Tactical LE Bonded in 62gr - LE223T3
or
Speer Gold Dot Duty in 62gr or 75gr - 24445SP or 24475

These are my main selections. Very similar bullets (some say the same) are also used in the Federal Fusion rounds - F223FS1.

·
NRA Life Member
65,507 Posts

I don't use rifles for home defense. I consider home defense rifles a tool of mall ninjas who needed an excuse to buy an AR. I don't need an excuse, so the rifles stay in the safe at home. I do have rifle sights on my 870.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,871 Posts

I don't use rifles for home defense. I consider home defense rifles a tool of mall ninjas who needed an excuse to buy an AR. I don't need an excuse, so the rifles stay in the safe at home. I do have rifle sights on my 870.
I think of it more as: Defense at the home. My primary weapons, for “bump in the night” are handguns with mounted lights. If there’s warning time enough to better prepare, I also have access to rifles and shotguns. Pretty much the same as being on-duty LE. Always have a sidearm handy, have long guns ready, just in case. There is a large park, across the street, if the threat is coming from that direction, a rifle is the only appropriate tool.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I have some Hornady Super Performance 5.56 75 gr HPBT in my AR, but don't have much of it. I bought some soft points a few years back, when I saw a good price: 200 .223 GD 64 grain, 200 .223 Winchester Power point 64 grain, and 500 5.56 Hornady spire point.

·
The eBay Guy
21,102 Posts

You're so unique and cool....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think of it more as: Defense at the home. My primary weapons, for “bump in the night” are handguns with mounted lights. If there’s warning time enough to better prepare, I also have access to rifles and shotguns. Pretty much the same as being on-duty LE. Always have a sidearm handy, have long guns ready, just in case. There is a large park, across the street, if the threat is coming from that direction, a rifle is the only appropriate tool.
I also keep a hand gun with a light on or near me 24/7. I also keep a rifle in my home ready to work if need be (not in a safe, grab, rack and go). Just wondering what people are running in their rifles. Handgun ammo there is 1000's of reviews and test but I just don't see that much of rifle's. I completely understand a well placed shot with FMJ will stop the threat. I also understand being in the fire service how your adrenaline can get pumping and you don't make that 100% well placed shot. Not really looking to cut down on over penetration as much as wanting the best or better expansion.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Like Bren, I don't consider my AR my first line of HOME Defense. But I do keep a mag loaded beside the gun in the safe if strange circumstances lead me to grab my AR in the house. The mag is loaded with Hornady Superperformance Varmint with 53 grain V-Max bullets, expressly to (attempt) avoid over penetration.

I only have 1 box (mag) of that. After that in line is a box of Federal loading of the Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tip varmint bullet. Nothing magic about either of these, they are a rapid expansion bullet ammo that I could get a deal on at the time wanting something without a lot of over penetration.

Out of the house and about ... others have given you some good recommendations for bonded bullet ammo.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,516 Posts
Hornady VMax followed by good old 55gr ball. The ball fragments at velocity and besides, it is on Doc Roberts list on another forum.

·
Registered
871 Posts
HST for .45 ACP (230gr) & 9mm (124gr)

5.56 PMC X-TAC 55gr

7.62X39 WPA 124gr SP

12ga Winchester MG 00 buck

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
1,061 Posts

Careful, you might cut yourself on all that edginess.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
124 +P HST or GD
Lake City M193 for my SBR

If things get really weird then 110 gr. Federal Fusion for my 6.8

·
Registered
10 Posts

Shotgun with bird shot . I’ve seen tests that even basic handgun rounds will go thru multiple rooms of wallboard .

·
Registered
414 Posts
As of now my HD nightstand gun is my G22.3 with 180gr Federal HST 15+1. I used to think that I'd never grab for an AR for inside home defense due to noise but some of my research says that my G22 would be just as loud inside as the rifle. I have 4 30 round magazines loaded with Winchester M193 and 2 magazines loaded with PMC M855 handy and ready to go. I'd probably sit near the end of my hallway and play defense there. I could see into my kitchen area from there but not the living/front room. I'm not too far off the road so if I were going to break into my house I wouldn't try a front window or the front door. I'd be going around back to the patio door or my other back door as an entry point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts