home audio problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tbone1970, Aug 3, 2007.

1. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

hey guys

ive got a sony setup thats about 7 years old. receiver, vcr, and 5 disc dvd player.

a couple weeks ago, i put in a rented movie (netflix) and sit down to enjoy... but i get no sound. the player recognizes the disc, and the video is fine, but no sound.

i figured i musta accidentally hit a button and switched an input or switched speaker output or something... so i spend what must have been an hour trying to make sure all my setting are correct and all the cables are plugged in.

well, no dice. so out of desperation, i put in another movie. one off my shelf. "office space". bingo. it plays. audio and video working great!

soooo.... i switch back to the rented one. video is fine. no audio at all.

something weird is going on here. im thinking to myself i got a bad disc from netflix. i have no idea how a disc could have no audio, but perfect video, but its a strange world.

anyway, i chalk it up to a bad disc and send it back to netflix. i get 2 at a time. the first 2 had no audio at all.

next 2 come in. SAME PROBLEM! thats four movies now... all with the same problem!

everything off my shelf so far plays fine. i havent tried everything yet though. but four "bad" discs from netflix has got to be more than a coincidence.

WTF! i feel like im going crazy here.

any thoughts???

2. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

have you tried plugging the dvd cables directly into the tv instead of the receiver? The only thing I can think of is that the dvd's are using a newer encoding setup than you're receiver can handle. I've got an 8 yr old Sony DVD player that still works better than any that people I know have used for more than a year.

3. podwich

podwich

Do you have DTS selected as the audio output via optical or coax and don't have a DTS-capable receiver?