Holsters...your preferences please

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by bass one, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bass one

bass one

Different kinds of holsters out there made from different kinds of materials by different kinds of makers each saying theirs is the best. I'm about to get my CZ85 Combat nickel and I have no idea which is the best available in our dear old country. My primary concern is how much/less the material can damage the finish of the gun. Secondary is function hehe...Your professional opinions, guys.

p.s. may I make a request, please? Let's keep this a healthy thread.

2. Taurus

Taurus

Do not get the Fobus paddle holster for the cz85 B. I once borrowed a friend's Fobus holster for IDPA comp. I could hardly pull the gun out. Turned out he experienced the same with his cz85 Combat. I read in a forum somewhere (cz forum, I think) that cz shooters had the same problem. Someone even recommended using a blow dryer to soften and reshape the molded plastic.

3. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Tried all-- nylon, kydex, leather, OWB, IWB, crossdraw, shoulder (yikes!). Used all (except the shoulder holster, which incidentally, is a reminder of how stupid I was) for a variety of reasons that made sense at a particular time.

Now I gravitate towards the IWB because I find them more comfortable than any other mode of carry. The material isn't much of an issue for me though I find that Kydex (or whatever monicker polymer sheaths goes these days) harms the finish more than any material. By harm, I mean it gives uneven wear pattern. One grit of sand is all it takes to scratch, yes, even a Glock. I like the wear pattern on my Beretta when carried in my IWB leather. But this is all very subjective.;)

4. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

bass one, is the holster for competition or for carry?
    Competition - CR Speed, carry - comp-tac. :)

5. 9MX

9MX Rei!

I got a sidearmor kydex quickdraw holster for my glock 17. will try it out tomorrow sa jdv cup. i chose it because of the positive feedback from ppts;+

6. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

For IWB, I only use the very cheap,off the rack, "fit all" IWB holster made from ruberrized synthetic leather. Its very thin and light. I had one modified to fit my gun perfectly. You can buy it just about every military/security/police/ROTC supply store. Its the one with retention clips that has "US" markings on it. I can draw my gun without the holster getting off even if it does not have a retention clip although Im currently thinking of taking off the plastic retention clip of my dad's neoprene Uncle Mike's IWB and sewing it on my IWB instead HEHEHE. My dad's mad co'z Im about to waste his Uncle Mike's in favor of a cheap IWB. But I do not like those UM neoprene IWBs anyway.

I dont mind having wear ptterns on my gun. Its just like worn out jeans. Wear marks give a gun more character.;) ;f

7. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

in my opinion, kydex is the way to go - for comp and carry. but like what taurus said ... anything but FOBUS! i like the material of fobus pero grabe sa higpit. other kydex holsters have screws to adjust the tension. if you want something below P200, uncle mike would do the trick. there is compt atc, safariland, blade tech, side armor.

pio

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

for IWB, which is better, kydex or leather?

9. Saruman

Saruman I carry a GLOCK

For Carry and Everyday Home for your beloved pistol = Leather IWB "may it be Marikina or Galco"

*UM IWB Sidekicks material sheds after a year or two..

For Comps. = CR Speed

*eye cutter trained.. ;) ;)

10. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

Galco ang the best sa akin kaya lang ang mahal!!!! I have a Galco horse hide leather paddle holster. Very stiff ang balat and very smooth when you draw. Not as concealable though as a pancake OWB or IWB.

[​IMG]

If you want a good local/Phil. made holster, gun belt, and double or single mag pouches, I recommend Uncle Tony's! I'm very happy with Tony Giron's Leather Holsters (his shop is called Magnificent Leather)! Proudly Crafted in the City of Marikina! He can make any design that you can choose from the diff. catalogs in his shop. I have a copy of the Galco Concealable Pancake Holster for my 1911, Glock 22 and CZ85 that I use for IDPA. He is just beside Loyola Memorial Park and the shell station and in front of the C.A. Roque Machine Shop. Turn around for a custom holster ave. about 1 week, huwag lang maraming orders. One-man operation kasi! Celfone no. ni Tony 0927-291-9760

[​IMG]

11. 9MX

9MX Rei!

eyecutter: thanks, i have seen uncle tony and a sample of his product (the holster for rommel's daewoo). will definitely give his store a visit

12. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

we use the exact same holster! lefty lang si Rommel

13. bass one

bass one

ooops...sorry.

Prerequisites:
    - gun model, CZ85 combat
    - for starters it will be for carry and practice only, not comp.
    - I'm a lefty

eye cutter: proud to hear you support marikina leather products. I see a lot of holster displays in marikina but I don't know how they fair. Now that you've advertized it, I'll give it a check when I get back home. Thanks.

14. 9MX

9MX Rei!

eyecutter: any idea on the pricing range for uncle tony's holsters? given the different materials that can be used

15. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

For the CZ85 Combat, I ordered a kydex OWB from www.cen-dex.com

The retention and fit are good, and drawing the pistol can be done in a smooth action. No holster wear yet.

Cen-Dex has a number of holster options for the CZ, and I think you can request for a left-handed model at no extra cost.

16. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

and for a tad bit more, a CLEAR holster. Medyo mukha nga lang condom. ;f

Ganyan din ako nag-umpisa. Sangkatutak na holsters. Eventually I settled on 3: A thin leather IWB, Glock sports holster and an Uncle Mike's OWB.

17. bass one

bass one

I was actually eyeing the lo-boy from cen-dex. You ordered it from the net, this means it's not readily available in the Phil. How much did it cost you?
    Nice pix eye-cutter. Will definitely consider uncle tony's.

18. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

sa aking lang, ayoko yung glock holster because i FEEL that the way the belt holds it makes it harder to draw and pushes at my waist (read: taba sa gilid) too much, causing a little pain... at hindi adjustable. for the price of the glock, uncle mikes nalang. opinion ko lang po.

19. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Magpuputol ka ng maliliit na tabs dun sa holster para ma-cant mo. ;)

I liked it kasi close to the body yung hold ng baril at 'di nagpi-print. Besides, konti lang naman kasi taba ko eh. ;f;f

Prob lang eh madaling magasgas. Pangit agad ng hitsura after a while.

Meron yata binebenta si Valor na Bladetech ah. Check mo yun, mukhang yung isa eh tuckable shirt ang design.

20. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

sa lagay na yon nag WO-WORK OUT na ako ha;i