holsters for GSSF and Range

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by windplex, Aug 13, 2005.

1. windplex

windplex

May I please have some imput from you more knowledgeable folks on better holsters (for Glock-17)for use at GSSF and range practice?

For instance the Fobus paddle or other styles???

Thank you, Brian

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Fobus holsters have been known to scratch the finish on Glock pistols. I prefer to carry my Glocks in Blade-Tech or Sidearmor holsters. You get what you pay for in holsters.

GSSF does not require a holster. I carry my GSF pistols in Dillon gun bags.

3. windplex

windplex

Thank you. I will take a look at the brands you noted and the gun bag too. Brian

4. bruce282

bruce282

I carry my G17 in either a Fobus belt holster or an Uncle Mike's paddle holster. I, like Randy, use a range bag at GSSF matches. I do have a Desantos (sp?) leather holster I use for my Ruger .357. Got it from Natchez for around $33 plus shipping I believe. I'll most likely get one for the Glock also.

Bruce

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Danny...since we are on holsters, lets discuss. Production USPSA for model 17 or 34 with the Bomars,what do you recommend, I would prefer Sidearmor in Kydex and what mag carriers...oh if you had to choose leather? If you could point me to a particular model that would also be appreciated. ;f

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I personalloy like this one.

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/catalog/product_26_Glock_Modular_OWB.html

I got mine with the speed cut and I love it.

After using this holster my draw became so fast that the match director had me drug tested for steroids! ;f

8. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

I used to use BoMars on my Glock 34, but I noticed that the front sight was dragging in both my Sidearmor and the Blade-Tech sight channel.

I switched to the Dawson's, and haven't noticed any dragging.

I still use the Sidearmor mag pouches, but switched to the Blade-Tech dropped/offset for USPSA Production.

9. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Roland...do you still have the bomars on the rear? I am going to do some experimenting in about three months and I already have another set of bomars with the narrow front sight as well as a Dawson fiber optic front...I'm going to put one or the other atop another model 17 and possibly next year shoot some USPSA ;f

10. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

Festus,

No, I have a Dawson target rear, and narrow fiber front with the green insert on both my G17 and G34.

11. njl

njl Crusty Member

Any holster will scratch up the finish eventually.

GSSF doesn't require a holster, but in this year's Glock Report, they actually do recommend one. I like to use them at the range no matter what sort of shooting I'm doing as it gives me someplace to put the gun if I need both hands. At GSSF matches, I typically shoot 2 categories and wear 2 holsters, carrying just ammo and mags in a small bag.

12. lm921

lm921 The Stampede

I use a kydex hoster Uncle mikes and fobus for the general range but when i go to a match i use a range bag.
    I am thinking of getting a bianchi paddle hoster in the near future.
    Pm me and i will send you a link for a range bag under 50 bucks shipped to your door.
    The bag is not mine and i do not make any money if you buy a bag from this guy.
    I hope this helps :)

13. windplex

windplex

Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful feedback on the Holster and range bag subject!

I am going through all your feedback and the websites you noted to learn more. I typically treat many things I own as tools and tools are used and show use -- and that's ok. However I purchased a new G-17 and it would be a benefit to keep it looking good -- so thank you for those comments about excessive holster wear.

Prior to this post I purchased a range bag from "5.11" for $79 and it seems to be very good quality and suits what I intend to put in it.

I will really only know how well it works when I go to a GSSF event and drag it around for most of a day! My initial essesment is that it secures 8 individual magazines and holds at least 2 guns comfortably plus ear phones and eye wear for two (I plan to take my son), ammo, range mat, hats and still has some extra pockets. Seems to be well padded and made from high quality materials.

Thank you all!
    Brian

14. Carlitos

Carlitos

WindPlex - you might also check out these links - particularly in your area of the country:

www.uspsa.com

www.idpa.com

Great Glock holsters for either of these games would be the Kydex SideArmor or the excellent BladeTech belt holster.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
    USPSA/NROI Range Officer
    Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I
    www.shootersparadise.com

15. njl

njl Crusty Member

I recommend you leave that bag in your vehicle. When you get to the GSSF match, lock your slides open and holster your guns (two less things to carry), and put on your eye and ear protection. Use a small bag for magazines and ammo (enough to shoot the match + a little extra). You can always go back to the car if you need something else.

16. windplex

windplex

Small bag for GSSF -- Lock big bag in truck:

The 5.11 (big bag) bag does come with a small pull out (center)bag that has 3 -- roughly 6"X6"X8" adjacent storage slots: one for brass and two others. It is open topped, cannot be zipped closed.

Would that do?

Thanks, Brian

17. windplex

windplex

Really dumb questions:

1) How much ammo do I need for a GSSF match? Or how many high capacity magazines do I need for a GSSF event (17 rounds per magazine)?(Please assume that I am the only one competing (not my son) and that I am competing in only one classification -- novice.)

2) For G-17 is 115gr FMJ a good load?

3) If 115gr FMJ is not the best load for GSSF competition, What weight and type of round do you reccomend and why?

Thank you!
    Brian

18. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

GSSF recommends bringing 150 rounds per entry. You can only load 10 rounds per string of fire, so 10 round mags are just fine. 4 mags (10s or 17s) is preferred, but you can load between strings if you only have one or two.

A lot of people shoot the Winchester White Box stuff that you get at Walmart in the 100 round packs. There is no "power" requirement so go with something that has light recoil. If you can keep all of your shots in an 8" circle at 25 or 30 yards, you're just fine.

See above

19. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

For GSSF, I prefer to leave the guns in my range bag, with each in a seperate soft case. I shoot as many categories as possible, and usually bring 2 or 3 guns. So I'm not going to walk around looking like a dork with 3 guns strapped on my belt. ;g

For range use or practice, it depends on what you want to accomplish. If you just want something to hold onto the gun with, there are many inexpensive holsters that will hold your gun securely. See some of the suggestions above.

If you are practicing for a specific sport (USPSA, IDPA, etc.) that will determine what holsters may be appropriate. You can do a search for holsters for your preferred sport.

20. Carlitos

Carlitos

Got to agree w/ DannyR/Coach on this one - use a gun bag like the Dillon or equivalent (5.11). Holsters are a bad idea for GSSF; particularly for 1st GSSF match. Here is why:

" recommend you leave that bag in your vehicle. When you get to the GSSF match, lock your slides open and holster your guns (two less things to carry), "

-do that and you just got disqualified or DQ'd from your 1st GSSF match. Put another way - you are going home without having fired a shot. The trunk of your car is NOT a safe area!!!!!!!!!! Not only is handling your gun outside the safe area/COF a safety threat to those around you, it is also unsafe gun handling. Don't try it.

Windplex: I really do not want you to get off on the wrong foot in GSSF & your original plan is a much better/safer/ more wise plan. Besides, the 5.11 brand gun bag you bought is top notch & is designed for the game; why not use it for its intended purpose?

For those who do choose to use a holster, please understand the seriousness of this matter; there is only ONE place outside the COF that gun handling is allowed: the Safe Area. Handle your Glock outside of that area/COF/armorer's tent & you will be sent packing.

We all enjoy GSSF; it is critical to GSSF's future that we maintain the sport as a safe sport that follows basic gun safety rules.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
    NROI Range Officer
    Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I
    www.shootersparadise.com