close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Holsters at a GSSF event?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Does anyone carry their Glock in a holster at a GSSF shoot? I know the slide has to be locked back to carry in a holster so I was considering carrying my G34 racegun in my CR speed rig. At the very least I think I should have my mag pouches on so I will have them handy before I start a stage. Can you carry your Glock in a holster outside of the designated safe areas? I really want to be sure I don't get disqualified for a rule infraction so any advice on this would be highly appreciated. Can you have all your mags loaded while they are in your range bag or should you wait until you are about to be on deck before you load them?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is much easier to carry your gear in a gun bag. The pro's do not use holsters or magazine carriers. Load all your magazines in advance. I have 24 loaded magazines in my gun bag right now. I do not like to load magazines at an event. I would rather concentrate on the task at hand--shooting well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

3. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

Well, I'm no pro (lol at the Coach's comment) but I do carry my pistol in a holster at events, including GSSF matches. I carry it to/from the event in the same holster as well. I carry a gun all the time so it's natural for me.

Now, obviously not everyone shoots the same gun in multiple divisions and some shoot ninjafied guns that aren't practical for carry so my comments are prob irrelevant.

Like Danny though, I pre-load all my mags the night before. I arrive with 3 mag pouches, 2 have 6 mags each and one has 8 mags. Since I shoot 2 divisions that means when I walk to the line I just grab the appropriate pouch for that stage and am ready to go. I usually have a Barney mag in a mag pouch on my belt.

4. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks for the info I think with all the other gear I will be carrying I will skip on the holsters. Oh, I am one of those guys with the "ninjafied" guns!!!:rofl: That was a good one though.

5. mike g35

mike g35

WOW!!! I only have 9 9mm mags and 6 40S&W mags. And I am only shooting my 2 9mm's tomorrow so I only have a 9 mags to shoot the match with and 22 mags to shoot. Will that be enough mags? I don't want to slow the pace of the match and get a procedural penalty. Will I have time in between stages to load my mags? Looks like I am getting ready to make a major magazine purchase from somewhere. Sounds like I need at least 2 more 9mm mags and 16 40cal mags. Since I plan to shoot my G22 in unlimited, my G24 in comp., and my g17 in am. civilian at my next match.

6. SARDG

SARDG

I agree with everything Coach said - oh wait... I got most of my advice from him several months ago. I use a gun bag and mag storage pouches.
    One of these sometimes:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=939160870
    ...and one of these (depending on gun/division match-up):
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=174266

I shoot 3 Divisions in 9mil so pre-load 30 mags before leaving home.

My first match I used a holster, but shot 9s and a 45 so that didn't work too well. There is also a little extra step to clear your gun if you use a holster - it's far easier to bag it, and easier on the ROs I think.

On my second match I used gun bags, but carried my blue gun in a holster. (Not Ol' Blue of Unlimited fame, but my (inert) training Glock.) That Glock came in handy at Reevesville with the large number of inexperienced shooters. Scotty said he thought it would be a good idea and I ended up using it maybe 20 or 25 times I think - maybe more. It's the only Glock you can carry holstered with the slide forward and a magazine inserted. :)

I don't use a Barney mag, but that's another thread assessable by searching.

I have seen maybe one or two people wear regular mag (belt) holsters. Not even LE line their belt, that I've ever seen. A Barney mag would be at home there, however.

7. SARDG

SARDG

You will have all the time that you care to take between stages, but if you shoot 2 divisions back-to-back at a stage, that require the same type mags, you will need 8 minimum (for Plates). And there are times where you can shoot 3 divisions back-to-back-to-back, and that would require 12 similar mags for Plates (assuming all guns/divisions use the same mags).

EDIT: I tell everyone that a lot of this is pretty abstract until you get to a match and observe for awhile.

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

I'm not a pro, and I do not profess to be one.
    And no, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, either.:supergrin:

I've found that carrying my Glock in a holster is easier than carrying in a case.
    Granted, I haven't shot in a match in several years (health issues), but, when my pistol is in my holster, it is secure, and EVERYONE can see that the slide is back and the pistol does not have a magazine in it.

Yes, I have seen a competitor remove their G17 from their carrying case, with a magazine in it.:wow:

I'd much rather have the pistol within view.

The Glock holster or a Blackhawk Serpa will allow you to carry with the slide locked back, and keep the pistol secure.

Just my 2¢.

9. mike g35

mike g35

OK then I am good to go I can shoot both divisions I plan to shoot (unlimited and civ. amateur) with out a hitch.

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Guess I should have said "master" instead of "pro." When I coached Team Sidearmor for 5 years, I always wore a Sidearmor holster, but carried my pistols in a bag, sometimes an attache case.

11. njl

njl

However you're comfortable. I've worn 2 guns/holsters at GSSF matches, and I've gone holsterless using a range bag insert with 2 gun pockets and a crapload of magazines in the middle.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

When I just shot two divisions with my G17, I wore a holster. Now that I"ve added my G30SF, I just leave them both in the bag.

For mags... I only have 8 for my G17. I load them between stages, plenty of time. Even if I had enough to bring 30 or whatever loaded... the space those extra mags take up vs just the ammo? No thanks. That works for lots of people, I'll take the (less than) 5 minutes to load them up fresh.

13. mike g35

mike g35

My problem is I spend so much money on building my unlimited/open guns and my ammo (shooting 3-400 rounds of factory ammo every week is very expenive) that I can't afford all those mags. But it makes sense to me to not load during a match. Taking all your time to concentrate on the task at hand is probably a better idea. But I will still be loading once during tomorrows match because I'm shooting two divisions. By the way to everyone that's going to be in Beckley tomorrow, good luck, have fun, and I hope to see you there.:wavey:

14. The Highlander

The Highlander

I carry the G17 in a holster, the same setup I carry 18 hours a day, seven days a week in fact. A Don Hume belt slide. I am not comfortable without a pistol on my side. The slide is locked back and no mag inserted. The second (or third) pistol goes in a range bag.

Yes, some of the RO's seem a little surprised at the holster, don't know why. Not my problem. I can say that in the two years I've been shooting GSSF, I have not seen a single thing that caused me any concern at a match. Well, except for the tacticool ninja one time, he did make me a little nervous, but he handled his weapon safely.

I have about 10 mags for 9mm and I do preload them the night before. If shooting a 10mm in heavy metal I load them also. However, the next match will be all 9mm, so I'll have to reload between stages. No problem, I have always had more than sufficient time to do so. If you don't have a mag, and need one, I've seen people loan out mags to competitors more than once. Exceptionally friendly people in GSSF.

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Good luck.
    BTW- you KNOW we are expecting an honest assment of your performance and truthful reporting of your scores by Sunday night.:supergrin:

16. SARDG

SARDG

And by perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday they will be posted on a public site anyway. You can run, but you can't hide. :whistling:

17. SARDG

SARDG

Bama- The nun didn't last long. Wazzat you got now??

18. gary newport

gary newport

I find that carrying a pistol in a holster at a Glock match is much more convenient (and more consistent with IDPA and USPSA competition--except for the odd slide-locked-back requirement). However, if one is shooting various Glocks in various divisions, carrying some of the pistols in a bag is pretty much necessary (multiple guns in multiple holsters on your belt :shocked:).

I usually carry the pistol I will shoot in most divisions in a holster. Others are bagged.

I would hate to have to reload during a stage, so I consider the minimum number of magazines to be five--four loaded magazines to cover all stages, including the Plates, plus a "Barney" mag to load the first round.

I also hate to reload between divisions on a given stage, so I like to have enough magazines loaded to cover each division I'm going to shoot with a particular pistol--four plus one for each division, with the Barney mag being reused.

19. SARDG

SARDG

Except that at a GSSF match you are free to wander aimlessly around the entire range/venue with a holstered gun. Kind of scary actually. At least slide-back, mag-out offers some solace.

At Orlando last year I came across a very tacticool guy who was carrying his holstered Glock around the venue and I saw his slide forward. I stopped to mention it to him and he immediately drew it out and started waving it around to show me. Craziness like that is better prevented with bagged guns.

Seems he also had an aftermarket barrel he was proud of - expecting to shoot it in AmCiv. If this all happened today, I would just go find the Range Master to work it out with him.

Don't know, but at my club in IDPA and USPSA, they expect you to stay within the bounds (and between them) of the individual ranges/stages being used, when you have a holstered gun.

20. gary newport

gary newport

I haven't seen any such restriction on moving around or between stages in IDPA or USPSA matches. I have seen restrictions on moving outside of the stage area at a range.

Sinced the standard IPSA/USPSA range command is "slide forward, hammer down" (to ensure that the trigger has been pulled with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction), I feel more comfortable seeing the slides forward on a cold range--and that's how we run things at our Saturday Night Steel Shoot.