holsters and choice of weapon, again, I know

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kolchak, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

I think we have discussed this in the past, but holster technology changes, and I thought I would see if there was anything new.

It seems like nothing ever feels comfortable on my short, squatty frame. I am very sensitive to balance and skin contact, but am finding that the threat level in my area is such that I am going to need to be carrying more often.

I have a variety of pistols and revolvers, and am currently carrying a S&W J-frame in a pocket holster in the lower cargo pocket of my jeans. It's okay, but feels very heavy due to the fact it is unsupported.

My main mode of dress is jeans and a t-shirt or the like. It is starting to get colder here in New England, and the layers of clothing start to pile on. I'm not worried about a whole lot of concealment, but I really don't much like anything around my waist. I don't wear a belt, it's not easy to as I wear a back support 90% of the time.

I was thinking about a shoulder holster. I do have a K.L. Null shoulder holster especially for the S&W, but it just doesn't seem to sit right because my bust pushes it back into my armpit.

Any thoughts, any experiences? There must be someone who really fits things to women.

2. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

What about a belly band-type rig or a body armor holster affixed to your back support?

3. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Well, I can't help you because i am having a similar problem finding a suitable holster...
    short, bony frame that is usually carrying a kid on one hip or the other. All my OWB holsters put the gun too far away from my body. ANybody know maker/model of an IWB for either an HK USP Compact or my babyGlock? Straight up and down doesn't work cause the gun bruises my last rib, so it'll have to cant back a little. Suggestions anyone?
    Mrs.C

4. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

Probably not. The back support is just elastic, and I wear it outside my clothes. It has to come off everytime I use the bathroom, and also would block access to anything like SmartCarry or Thunderwear. I also have a little too much weight to be comfortable sticking anything in my pants.

5. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

What about sewing or affixing a body-armor type holster inside the back support. Nobody would see the weapon when you use the facilities, and the support would keep it accessible and tight against your body.

You could also look at one of the day-planner type holsters. Some of them double as an actual day-planner. Dillon Precision Products sells them...their webpage is www.dillonprecision.com

Hope you find something!

6. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

Oh, and Mrs. Cicero,

Try Sidearmor, they make all kinds of IWB's with tons of options!

7. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Kolchak, try a Smartcarry.
    Mrs Cicero, try a Threat Solutions UCR, a Sidearmor, a Tucker Answer, or a Comptac CTAC.

8. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

Okee-dokee Vic, I've seen those Smart Carry's talked about before, I'm going to give one a try.:)

9. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Hey Kolchak, I find in the summer TX heat, that the Smartcarry gets a lot of use. You don't have to wear special shorts & a heavy belt! Much cooler, altohugh I suggest a tanktop undershirt so you can strap the SC over the back of the tanktop. Makes the waistbelt more comfortable. It's kinda neat being able to wear baggy elastic waisted gym shorts & still carry on-body!

In the winter, such as it is in Texas, I use a ThreatSolutions UCR.

--Vic

10. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

Well, I ordered the SmartCarry, should have it next week:) I also ordered a FIST pocket holster for the colder weather when I'm wearing a coat.

Thanks for all the help;f

11. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Which of you girls is using Sidearmor and which model are you using with which gun? I'm looking at the IWB one right now for my G-19. I specifically have questions on the J-Hook vs beltloop thing and the degree angle you bought.

12. another okie

another okie

People with back problems usually find ankle holsters or shoulder holsters to be better than belt holsters.

13. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

Thumbs up on the SmartCarry so far, although I've only had it this afternoon:)

More reports to follow;)

14. Neva

Neva

I carry mostly in a DelFatti shoulder rig.... P7PSP.... I also never carry off body in any way, shape or form...