Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never carried. Want to use my SW 442 revolver for this purpose.
Any suggestion as to which type of holster would make most sense for a guy that never carried and doesn’t want to shoot himself. Don’t really understand the concepts I’m reading here about the different locations on the body you carry.
Am I better off in pocket or....
I read you guys discuss printing. Probably not a concern as I’ll use it during work which puts me in vacant houses in bad neighborhoods and I’ll mostly be in shorts and t shirts. Thanks for the advice.
I also have acces to a 43 if you guys suggest that’s better than the revolver. Just thinking as a newbie the tough trigger pull of the 442 would be better in terms of accidental discharge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would suggest finding a good instructor in your local area. You'll have more confidence in the gun and your ability. I have a lot of holsters I've bought and then given up on. Massad Ayoob has a book, "Concealed Carry" that covers all the questions your likely to have.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would suggest finding a good instructor in your local area. You'll have more confidence in the gun and your ability. I have a lot of holsters I've bought and then given up on. Massad Ayoob has a book, "Concealed Carry" that covers all the questions your likely to have.
As mentioned above I purchased Ayoob’s book and have found out that pretty much everything he said in the book exactly worked out over the last two years that I’ve been caring daily. I have finally stabilized in what I do routinely in about the last six months. I also found that my favorite rig ( seems like everybody who carries has at least one drawer full of Holsters they don’t use ) Ended up being an Urban Carry G-2. That doesn’t seem to be popular with a lot of people but for me it’s perfect. Being a chiropractor I am bent over wrestling with people all day while other people watch and it’s the only one that no one has any idea I have it on. Can go from hands at my side to a shot on target in just under two seconds. I can also tuck in my shirt if I wish and since my favorite part of my wardrobe is my Old Navy loose fit jeans,that I own a dozen pairs or so, it always works. And I literally Carry every single day. I can tell you I have a G 43 works great in a urban carry G2 sized for a G 19. It doesn’t work nearly as well in the one that is recommended by them for it. What will also work in that flawlessly is a nine round ETS magazine. This will draw in any circumstance flawlessly. Even seated. I have never had any trouble with my ETS magazines and I have 3-9 round and 5-12 round. And even though ETS has a spotty reputation in other areas I have not heard problems with their G 43 magazines being issue and I continue to be on the lookout for such. And just FYI, G 26 with a 15 round Glock magazine works 90 percent as well. It will give a slight hesitation before coming out. I have learned to use the knife edge my hand to spread it away from my belly and then allow the gun to pop into my grip as I draw it and then it’s fine. Those two are about the same size except for width and weight. I never take it off except when I have no clothes on.

·
Registered
33,227 Posts
Have never carried. Want to use my SW 442 revolver for this purpose.
Any suggestion as to which type of holster would make most sense for a guy that never carried and doesn’t want to shoot himself. Don’t really understand the concepts I’m reading here about the different locations on the body you carry.
Am I better off in pocket or....
I read you guys discuss printing. Probably not a concern as I’ll use it during work which puts me in vacant houses in bad neighborhoods and I’ll mostly be in shorts and t shirts. Thanks for the advice.
I also have acces to a 43 if you guys suggest that’s better than the revolver. Just thinking as a newbie the tough trigger pull of the 442 would be better in terms of accidental discharge.
This is a huge topic with a lot to learn, and a lot of personal preference.

The 442 does have a trigger requiring more force and a longer pull, so all other things being equal is less prone to an AD. The 442 gun is also lighter and is shaped more rounded, and both can help concealment. The Glock 43 is thinner, and holds more rounds and is likely more accurate in most people's hands, and is quicker to reload. The 442 has a reliability advantage, when awkward shooting positions/scenarios are considered. Both are great carry gun choices.

I like inside the waistband holsters made out of kydex. They slip inside the pants, and I like a beltloop attachment that the belt goes through to secure the holster on the draw. When you draw, you want the gun to come out, and the holster to stay put. You can position the holster anywhere around you. 3 o'clock is at your right side.

Drawing and reholstering are both potententially dangerous. Training/instruction helps. You need to keep your finger off the trigger for both movements. Upon reholstering you need to keep things out of the trigger guard area. Glock accidental discharges upon reholstering (AD) are far too common, by careless and/or untrained people. Even a poorly fit holster can cause an AD.

Here are styles I use, but others have different preferences

1 - 4 of 4 Posts