close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Holster: Smart Carry -- thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by robhic, Nov 7, 2011.

1. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member Silver Member

A while back, someone somewhere else mentioned this holster: http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html Since I rarely wear pants without elastic waistband (shorts or long pants) I've been looking for IWB carry ideas. A regular IWB carry holster seems like it wouldn't be secure enough without a firm waistband or belt.

I don't have my permit, yet, so I'm not in a hurry. But this "Smart Carry" product seems like a good compromise. It has its own belt / strap plus another pocket for an extra mag. Does anyone here have any experience with this product and / or thoughts or comments or even other recommendations considering the limitations of waistband that my situation presents?

Thanks to all for any info provided.

2. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

A very good niche holster. Have used one for years. The scenarios in which I use mine are as follows:
    1. When going out for a long, hot day in business attire.
    2. When on vacation and ultra-concealment is prudent.
    3. Long distance running. I have run half marathon distances with my G17 in a SmartCarry.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

But where is the room for your "unit"? :whistling: Not much room in my pants right now without a holster? How would that be comfortable?

4. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Euphemisms for private parts are common in SmartCarry threads. It has never been a problem for me. There is room for everything down there. Some rotation of the holster is recommended in the men's room.

Additional note: the SmartCarry is particularly good for striker fired pistols that do not have things projecting behind the grip like beavertails and Hammers. The Glock's beaverrump does not dig into your lower abdomen while driving, unlike, say, a CZ75 or a 1911 (yes, I've tried).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. dreis454

dreis454

there is an extra pocket.....just don't use it for a mag.:rofl:

6. Golddog

Golddog

I carry a CZ Rami in a SmartCarry when I need absolutely deepest concealment. However, I can't imagine carrying any gun as large as a Glock 17 the same way.

I guess everybody's tolerance level is different.

7. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

I carry my G23 in a SC a lot. With practice you can learn to present your weapon pretty quick. I noticed this weekend that the stitching is starting to come loose on the velcro. No biggie. Just restitch with better thread.

NN

8. robhic

Thanks to all for the info! Since I posted this, someone gave me this URL:

http://www.3speedholster.com/About.html

The 3Speed holster looks almost identical to the Smart Carry but a different material and possibly better quality. Those with a Smart Carry, what say you?

Thanks to all.

9. Texcowboy

Texcowboy

I use the Remora Holster for appendix and 4 Oclock carry, you might want to check it out. BTW I am not connected to the Remora company in any way. http://www.remoraholsters.net/main.sc Check it out on U Tube also.

10. Steamboat Bill

Steamboat Bill What've I done?

That is a TON of material on that 3speed. I've never tried the 3speed, but it sure likes like it would get hot and sweaty. The Smart Carry already gets somewhat hot in the junk ("swampy balls" was an accurate description I read from someone else here on GT), and it uses much less material than the 3speed. I could be wrong, but that is my initial impression.

I use my SC mostly for around the house wear now, since I usually wear basketball shorts around the house. It works great. On rare occasions I'll use it outside the house, but usually go with my RM Lowrider.

I say get the Smart Carry. Even if you end up not using all the time, it is still a good tool to have when needed.

11. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

I have used Smart Carry for
    5 years. Currently have a
    G20sf with 15 round extra mag. No print never been suspected of carrying by anyone even 2 sherrifs when was talking to them about Casrle doctrine and they were really looking to see if I was carrying. Was in shorts and golf shirt at the time. Still have all my private gear in place undamaged.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. doc540

doc540

Used a SmartCarry for years now.

Works perfect for my needs.

LC9 disappears in it.

I'm an loyal, old-school cuss so I keep doing business with Charlie and will buy another of his holsters when I wear this one out.

[​IMG]

13. Gasman

Gasman

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  14. Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I can only imagine what an assailant would be thinking as you reach down and grab your junk to defend yourself:rofl:

15. trekgod3

trekgod3 Quad-Glocker

16. robhic

OK, looked at all suggested holsters. Some (unless I missed something) were regular IWB holsters requiring a clip. Not what I want.

It seems from above comments that the Smart Carry (which they said used to be called "Thunder Belt") is well-liked and comfortable. The 3Speed has an open bottom so your muzzle sticks out and a flap above which, to me, seems like it would be less comfortable when sitting or bending over. They say it's a benefit but I, in my limited knowledge / experience think it would be annoying.

They all have their good and less good (how's that for finesse? :supergrin:) points but the closed bottom, flush with waistband top looks like a good bet. With prices all in the same area I think I, too, would lean towards the Smart Carry.

Anyone else got input? And thanks to all for the suggestions, comments and other URLs.

17. coachg

coachg

SmartCarry is a good option to have when you want deep concealment. I think it works best with a tucked shirt. Not the fastest draw, but nobody will ever know you are carrying.

18. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

I have a bunch of them, and have basically never been able to find a remotely comfortable way of wearing them. Standing I dont find it to be a problem, but for me personally sitting in a smart carry is a form of torture....

19. doc540

doc540

carried with them for years

wear it slighly to one side (opposite side of your package)

when sitting it slides over the top of your thigh and sligtly under your side pocket

so comfortable I forget I have it on

20. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

:shocked: My package doesn't sit off to the side.