Holster laws?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jhoagland, Feb 15, 2010.

1. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

In another forum a good question was brought up. Some states require a holster to cover the trigger. I looked on gunlaws.com and a couple of other places but, couldn't find anything for SC stating one way or another.

I told the guy that carry with out something covering the trigger was begging for trouble, legal or not.
    Got any links?

2. zodiacbw

zodiacbw

Not able to find anything on that either. You should NOT be required to have the weapon in a holster in SC if that's the case.

With that said, it is a very good idea to keep it in a good quality holster, but that's just my opinion. Seen/read too many news stories about people losing control of or dropping their gun and it discharging.

3. JoshK

JoshK

unless it's for competition, i think all holsters should cover the trigger....

i haven't heard anything about states having holster regulations though....

4. dosei

dosei

SC does not have holster laws.

5. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

I carry in a M-TAC. I always use a holster. Just trying to help this other guy out with some back up info. I've already told him not covering the trigger is an accident waiting to happen. I've also told him to join GT and come here. I hope he does.

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Most (if not all) handgun competition rules require a holster that covers the trigger guard. Even in IPSC, with those itty bitty speed holsters, still cover the trigger guards.

Funny thing is, way back in the day it was common for police holsters to NOT cover the trigger guard.

7. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

The only state I know of that requires the use of a holster is Ohio but wouldn't carry without the entire trigger guard covered.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Maturity and common sense are the primary indicators for proper holsters. Few states have holster requirements as law. I supposed we all hope that most folks that own and carry a firearm have enough synaptic activity that they don't need a law telling them what is obvious.

9. napp32

napp32

Having a Georgia CWP allows a person to carry either open or concealed. However, GA law says that if one chooses to carry concealed, the weapon must be secured by a holster, hip-grip, or clip. I can find no wording that says the holster must cover the trigger; and, obviously, the trigger would be uncovered if using a clip affixed to the gun. Simply carrying a handgun in a pocket without a holster is illegal in GA.

10. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Using a proper holster, rather than loose or held on with a mere clip, should be common sense to most. With all the freedom-limiting laws becoming more and more prevalent, I would hope that state laws requiring responsible methods of carry (i.e.- a holster) wouldn't be necessary.

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Good info to know. I'll be visiting there in April and need to get up to speed on their laws.