Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making the switch from hybrid holsters to full kydex because I'm over the curling leather backing. It's been a long time since I purchased a holster so I'm not familiar with claws, wedges and torsion style holsters. I like the concept of twisting the grip into the body but do these things really work?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I’m not well versed on kydex, but I just ordered one of those trex holsters for a Glock 19. I like it pushes the butt in well. I’m currently carrying my 17 in it right now until I get my 19

·
Original "G"
661 Posts
I am assuming you are looking to carry AIWB? If so, then yes, they work for that purpose. For standard IWB carry they won't have the same result - and I am unsure who would use a neoprene wedge, wing claw, or the like for standard IWB carry.

For AIWB carry stay away from Bravo Concealment - the method of belt attachment is sub-par.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Which T Rex holster did you go with?
I got the appendix rig without the attached mag holder. Raptor I think? It carries well. I usually put a spare mag in a pocket but looking to get a separate IWB mag holder. I just didn’t want the entire front of my pants occupied with the joint holster. I put the Offset Tuckable Clip on and I really like it. G17 carries well but had a buddy’s G19 and it hides well under just a T-shirt. I’ll be buying one in a few weeks for off duty carry.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been looking into this lately and been in touch with a manufacturer about the claw specifically. I am aware they are beneficial for AIWB, but what about holsters for standard (3,4,5:00?) Manufacturer said they work for standard too, helping keep the grip close to the body.

He did mention that it does not work very well if the holster/CCW will be positioned with a forward cant, as the claw will tilt up above the belt line --- in that case it will not be able to perform its function. Since I carry with a very forward cant, I did not end up buying it.

·
Original "G"
661 Posts
I've been looking into this lately and been in touch with a manufacturer about the claw specifically. I am aware they are beneficial for AIWB, but what about holsters for standard (3,4,5:00?) Manufacturer said they work for standard too, helping keep the grip close to the body.

He did mention that it does not work very well if the holster/CCW will be positioned with a forward cant, as the claw will tilt up above the belt line --- in that case it will not be able to perform its function. Since I carry with a very forward cant, I did not end up buying it.
The mfg already answered your question. Straight drop/no cant will work, anything else it won’t.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,985 Posts
OP, yes they work but for AIWB I find that my Shaggy without all that stuff works perfectly. It's as comfortable and concealable as any holster I own. I carry a Beretta PX-4 Compact which is the same size as a G19 in mine.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,985 Posts
I tried the Eidolon and the Shaggy is about 10 times better in my opinion.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Reactions: Turk3196

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am assuming you are looking to carry AIWB? If so, then yes, they work for that purpose. For standard IWB carry they won't have the same result - and I am unsure who would use a neoprene wedge, wing claw, or the like for standard IWB carry.

For AIWB carry stay away from Bravo Concealment - the method of belt attachment is sub-par.
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this statement? I'm researching AIWB holsters that push the grip in, and BC seems to have quite a few good reviews. You statement is one of the few negatives that I've read. I don't discount your opinion but I will ask for more info. I don't want to spend monies on yet another holster due for the drawer...

·
Original "G"
661 Posts
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this statement? I'm researching AIWB holsters that push the grip in, and BC seems to have quite a few good reviews. You statement is one of the few negatives that I've read. I don't discount your opinion but I will ask for more info. I don't want to spend monies on yet another holster due for the drawer...
Apologies for the late reply.

Clips aren't secure for (A)IWB. Clips are convenient. While you will see many higher--end AIWB makers offer a clip as an option, but that clip design is NOT what BC is using. BCs design is very narrow which can result in unintentional canting but also DOES result in less contact with your belt for holster retention.

With 4 years and many guns/holsters of AIWB trial and error I have found the JMCK AIWB 2.5 to be the most comfortable, stable, and concealable option for me.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWBWC25G19.html

I use the split loop wide spacing option - this gives the stability and security that I like and a somewhat convenient on/off ability as well as the ability to use pants that have differing belt loop spacing/location. I also use the large neoprene wedge - this pushes the top of the holster into my body as well as slightly tilting the muzzle away from my body (which is a bonus safety side effect). A large t-shirt is somewhat form fitting for me and I can conceal a G43 easily. Using an XL t-shirt I can conceal a G19/PX4CC/P2000/P-07. Using a loose fitting polo or button-down shirt I can conceal everything else.

In the end, YMMV. Only you will be able to decide what holster works fo you.

·
Lifetime NRA member
2,622 Posts
I use a Vedderlight tuck which allows me to set the cant and ride height. I also have the cant adjusted forward like I guess I supposedly can’t do, the height sits pretty low and it has a claw.
I carry a G30 AIWB this way every day.
It’s as comfortable as it gets Appendix carry.
Even though it doesn’t work...

·
Original "G"
661 Posts
I use a Vedderlight tuck which allows me to set the cant and ride height. I also have the cant adjusted forward like I guess I supposedly can’t do, the height sits pretty low and it has a claw.
I carry a G30 AIWB this way every day.
It’s as comfortable as it gets Appendix carry.
Even though it doesn’t work...
I doubt the Vedder Light Lighttuck is as comfortable as a quality purpose-made AIWB holster. Have you tried a JM or Keepers Concealment or Raven AIWB setup?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts