Holster break-in?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by HuntingGuy, Feb 15, 2010.

1. HuntingGuy

HuntingGuy Show me 10-8.

I just purchased an Alessi CQC/S (OWB) holster for my G23.

It's a sweet holster, but much tighter than my others. The fit is maybe a little bit too good. I can't unholster the gun without yanking the belt off my waist :faint:

Any tips for breaking this bad boy in for a smooth draw? :wavey:

2. JoshK

JoshK

try wrapping your gun in a plastic shopping bag or plastic wrap.... shove it in the holster and leave it for a few hours.... i've used an old rag wrapped around my gun before too....

the thicker the material you use to wrap your gun the harder it will be to get your gun seated properly so that it stretches the entire holster..... if one shopping bag or isn't enough try 2.... or more plastic wrap....

3. farley45

farley45

The holster may have instructions on how to break it in properly. If it didn't then consult the manufacturor to ensure that you are doing it properly so you don't mess it up or anything.

I have used the plastic bag trick and it worked well for me. I put the pistol in a big ziplock or plastic bag and put it in the holster and left it for a while.

4. whoever

whoever

I used a regular old undershirt (probably Hanes or CK). Wrapped it around the gun (unloaded of course), and exerted as much pressure as I could to get the weapon seated in the holster. Left overnight. Helped with actually being able to get the gun into the holster, but still WAYYY too tight. Repeated cycles of holstering/unholstering the weapon took it the rest of the way.

5. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The best technique I've used came from Brommeland. He has you wrap two layers of wax paper (wax side out) around the gun then jam it in and leave it overnight. In the morning, do a few dozen draws with the wax paper still on the gun. Once it is drawing smoothly, remove the wax paper and do more draws with the bare gun. Should be good to go. Also, a little body heat will help vs a cold piece of leather. Wear the holster for an hour or so to warm it up, then practice draws.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe

+ 1 on wax paper.

7. Adionik

Adionik

I just let it sit in the holster a few days...

8. Bullseye300

Bullseye300

This is the method that I use as well.
    Bullseye

9. Pistol Pedro

Pistol Pedro NRA Member

Great holster!

I have one for my G19 and one for my G26. The one for my G19 was only tight for the first few holsterings and broke in pretty quickly. However, when I got one for my G26, it was another story. The first time I tried to put it in the holster took quite a bit of effort. Then I thought I would never get it out. I ended up doing the plastic bag trick a few times and the wax paper trick. Actually take some wax paper and work it around by hand inside the holster transferring as much wax as you can to the leather. Finally many many repeated holstering and un-holsterings has made it usable. Still a little tighter than I would like though.

Just curious, Lou Alessi passed about a year ago. Where did you purchase your CQC/S?

10. HuntingGuy

HuntingGuy Show me 10-8.

Thanks guys. I'll give the plastic and wax paper a try.

Lou's immediate family has since taken over the business. Like any good holster company, they are backed up, but worth the wait.http://www.alessigunholsters.com

11. Pistol Pedro

Pistol Pedro NRA Member

That is great news! So glad to hear that his family is carrying on with the business. And a new website to boot!

Lou passed a week or two after I received my last holster. He was a great guy.

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Plastic bags are great for breaking in kydex holsters. For leather holsters, the proper method is using a piece of womens hosiery. With both, less is more. While these are established and effective techniques, it is always best to follow the instructions of the manufacturer to whom you will be returning the holster if there is a problem.