Holster advice...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Big_Grumpy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

I bought my pistol with along with a TLR-2, and am trying to figure out what holster I should use. CCW's aren't allowed in my state, but I'd still like to holster it when at the range. I'm just a civie who enjoys range shooting and practice, but keep my pistol primarily as a night stand gun. I'd just as soon keep the light mounted, even though it's not hard to remove.

Being pretty new to handguns and holsters in general... If I get a holster that accommodates the light, would I be still be able to sheath my pistol with the light removed securely? If so, problem solved...

I'm not sure which way to go and for what reasons. I realize I could go both ways and get one of each, but with .45 ACP ammo prices and my real lack of need, it isn't really isn't viable.

Appreciate the advice!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. moncoacp

moncoacp

And that pistol would be a Desert Eagle .50 caliber? Or perhaps a Ruger LCP? Might get different suggestions for different weapons.

3. Troubleshooter

Troubleshooter

4. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

Full size .45 M&P, should it matter. Looking for a simple belt attach. I was eying this with the light attached:

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-ds-ht-6287-51921-61-bbcdb.html

But if you folks think that my time would be better fulfilled with the light off the weapon for practice, I'd look for something that doesn't accommodate the light. But the JIC scenario has me wondering which way to go.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

Is my question too complicated?

Holster to fit the TLR, or not? I know they make them, but should I get one for time at the range, or just get one that fits the gun? What makes the most sense?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. Johnnyknuckles

Johnnyknuckles

If the gun is for HD( you stated nightstand gun). I would want to fire it at the range with the same set up I would fire it at home against BGs. That way I would know the entire package is proven.

I don't know,but if the SHTF in the middle of the night, I don't think I would take the time to holster up. Since the light is easy to take on/off. I think the holster choice is not a big deal.

Maybe a good range bag/case is a better choice.

Does your state allow open carry? If so, do you plan to carry. Then in that case, the holster choice is relevant.

BTW, I think big GRUMPY fits your post so far.

7. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

Sorry about the Grumpiness...

I have an ok range bag, but I can't really step up to the firing line wearing it. I thought it would be safer to pull the gun out out of a holster, fire, holster it and step back. I don't like walking around the range with it out.

What you said makes sense. I'll find a holster for it for the light and practice with the light attached, for the reasons you stated.

Our state does kind of have an open carry. It's weird. It's seriously frowned upon, but there's really no legal precedent stating you can't. I think one guy recently was arrested for it though just to try the laws. I'll have to look up what happened to him...