close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HOLO sight or C-More on G17L

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Dino Rustler, Mar 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

Planning on putting one on a G17L (2nd gen). Primary use is just fun and plinking, maybe a GSSF unlimited event. Since I know my shooting level the unlimited GSSF event would be more for fun and not serious.
    Also I have a 24c with a 7mil dot and its right at the edge of being to small (old eyes).
    Would like to directly mount to slide.
    Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

2. GJM89

GJM89

I am known to be a litle off center but I really like my Original style Halo Sight mounted on a Carver Mount, you'll be ready come rain or come shine, the Halo sight being waterproof that is.

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Which ever sight you choose you really should consider a Carver Mount to mount it to your 17L. You won't be sorry. :)

4. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I'll second the Carver mount. It's the best.

5. TXMike

TXMike

I've used the Holosight, C-more and Aimpoint on my 24 and 17l. All are high quality sights and should hold up well. The Holosight rides a little higher due to the design and you might want to consider the different reticles for your application. It now rides on my AR. Sold the C-More in a deal on a Caspian 38 super....so now the Aimpoint is the go to on my unlimited gun.

If I was planning on purchasing a sight now it would be a C-more with a Carver mount.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Boy oh Boy; I would absolutely say a "Little Off Center". ;f ;f ;N

But otherwise a nice guy.;c ;c ;c

7. GJM89

GJM89

Your killing me Don.~1 ~1 ~1 ;9 ;9 ;9

8. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

This is my solution

9. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

This WAS mine. But, Big Blue went on his way today to a new home. I know he will be loved and cared for.

10. johnhurd

11. TJC

Yea, Big Blue has been around a while.

I'm doing fine. Just hanging out and checking in on you guys every once in a while.

How's everything going out your way?

12. johnhurd

and the green stuff is growing

13. njl

njl

How does that work? Hooks in the back and a screw through the front sight hole?

14. johnhurd

opening and drilled and tapped the four corners of the opening

15. TJC

IF, you don't want to use a mount of any sort John is right. There are alternatives. His is one and C=More offers another. They have a mounting plate that can be mounted right to the slide and the C-More site is then screwed right to the plate.
    It makes for a real low mount, and acts as a cocking handle if you mount it to the rear.
    I have a 17 that I set up this way for my first UL gun. It works like a champ. The C-More is a real good sturdy site that will hold up under the slide action also.

Due to the availability problem of the Tasco PDP5 adj. dot scope today, I would go with the C-More if I were setting a gun up now. I would also check out some of the newer scopes with the adj dot size incorporated in them.
    It is really nice when you are shooting different targets at different distances to be able to dial in the right size for the job. It always worked for me. ;)

16. Fireglock

It certainly did! ;f

Nikon has the Monarch with adjustable dot size. Unfortunately the dots are currently 1, 4, 6 and 10. Not quite as large as I would like.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=16&productNr=6610

Another thing I've noticed is that different scopes seem to have different sized dot even when they're claimed to be the same MOA. A C-more 6 looks to be the same size as a Tasco 8 to me.

17. njl

njl

Ouch...that thing seems to start at about $250. I recently picked up a Tasco BKRD42, and my main complaint with it is the dot doesn't get bright enough. I shoot with transition lens glasses...so when it's bright out, they become sun glasses. On a bright day, even on 11 with a brand new battery, I have trouble seeing the dot. My cmore can be dialed up to "it looks a small sun" brightness and doesn't have that problem.

I'm tempted to go back to an Optima (may as well use the remaining live ones) on my 34 for now.

18. Fireglock

An Optima is brighter than your new Tasco? That was never my experience. Then again the new Bushnell/Tascos may be different. And on a cloudy day....your out of luck with your Optima. At least that was my experience. As to the price of the Monarch, none of them are chap anymore. The C-mores run 220.00 with the standard switch, the Aimpoints are more like 290.00. I sure wish you could buy PDP5s for 118.00 again.

19. njl

njl

What about the OKO at $163? I never had trouble with the Optima brightness except for when shooting indoors in poorly lit shooting stalls. I'm likely to stick 2 2016's in it instead of a single 2032 though.

I'm going to experiment with 2 batteries in the BKRD42. They don't make it easy though. I think I can insulate the sides of the bottom battery using a ring of wax paper.

20. TJC

You get what you pay for. If you are willing to spend the $$$ for a gun, $$$ for practice (well some people do), $$$ for all the other equipment, $$$ for travel and registration (if you travel to matches) then why not spend it on a scope. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry later.

It's kind of like the guy who is going on an expensive hunt of a life time, buys a new $1500-2000 rifle, new clothes etc and then buys a $75 scope at Wal Mart. It doesn't make sense.