Hollywood just keeps rehashing old movies..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Critch, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Critch

Critch

I'm getting old, I've seen a lot of movies...it's amazing how many movies have been remade and remade...does no one in Hollywood read? There are many books that would make great movies if done right,,,three I can think of right off the bat are: The Stars My Destination, Rendezvous With Rama, and A Canticle for Leibowitz...all great books with great plots..and not a single director has touched them...come on Hollywood...

2. nursetim

nursetim

I’d love to most any of W. E. B. Griffin’s book made into movies. Brotherhood of war tops my list.

Deltic and Cirdan like this.

3. railfancwb

railfancwb

A problem on the book-to-movie trail is that, realistically, short-story-to-movie works better. Even with the short story, much has to be minimized or skipped to make the movie.

Westerns, such as those by Louis L’Amour, work better for movies than some other genres because the writing describing western scenery naturally converts into visuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I have a friend who has a number of friends in Hollywood. My buddy kind of fits in as he is a successful, good looking guy who really lives the jet set lifestyle. One of his friends is a genuine movie producer.

One time I was invited to play Riviera Country Club as a guest of my friend’s producer friend who is a member. After the round we were having a drink in the bar at the hotel we were staying at in Santa Monica. The producer suggested we have dinner at a restaurant he really liked in Beverly Hills. As we were leaving, he grabbed a thin paperback like book out of his trunk and asked if I would read it and give him my honest opinion, it was a screenplay he had written. I said I would be glad to and took it and ran it back to my room before we left.

I thought it was kind of odd, as this guy was a pretty successful producer in his own right. After I got home from the golf trip, I sat down and read the screenplay. It was a fairly poorly written knockoff of Oscar Wilde’s novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray. The trouble is this guy had never read the story and thought he had a blockbuster of a novel idea on his hands.

When we subsequently talked about the screenplay, all I said was I thought he might consider reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, before he showed too many other people the screenplay.

There really aren’t very many classically educated people in all of Hollywood and almost none in the creative parts of the business. Frankly, in Hollywood, it is more about audacity than talent and depth.

I never got invited to play Riviera again. :(

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    nrajeff, G19Tony, Dr. Bill and 8 others like this.
  5. Cirdan

Cirdan

Funny how these "creative" types can't seem to come up with something new. . .

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Heck on another forum there are excellent stories that could easily be made into a movie.
    You would need zero special effects, no explosions, stunt people. A cast of @16, maybe 30 extras. A apartment building, 3 apartments, common area, and a low budget recording studio.
    Think "I love Lucy" apt. Plus a few stores on occasion. (Hardware, grocery) mom and pop type...
    I can think of 3 that could be done easy. One excellent one that would need a mini series, but would try attention spans.

7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Hollyweird's only purpose is to continue the stream of revenue coming in for producers, directors, actors and actresses, 3D computer modelers and animators, camera operators, stage hands, and caterers. I don't believe that they have any interest at all in what people really want to see, but instead provide you with what they want you to see. It's called controlling the narrative...in somewhat the same fashion that the major news networks are paid to spin the ideals of the wealthy like George Soros and the Clintons to the naive and feeble minded society in which we live.

8. DAKA

DAKA

That'll teach ya. He didn't want the truth !

nrajeff, Dr. Bill and bandsaw like this.
  9. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

They are under a strict edict to use the movie/entertainment medium/song/whatever, as a shell to advance their globalist, anti humanity agenda. The subliminal message trumps all.

But while they get accolades from others in the industry, they're oblivious to the fact that the public is tired of the sermonizing and the lies. Plus, there are only so many ways one can repeat the same lie before it becomes boring. And they passed "boring" about a decade ago.

smith10, Dr. Bill and jmohme like this.
  10. Tvov

Tvov

One good thing about Netflix is all the low budget, backyard movies they have available to watch. You have to keep in mind the low budget, but sometimes the acting and story are great!

Same thing with YouTube... there are bazillions of "short" movies on it, some of which are remarkably well done.

The "good stuff" is out there, sometimes you have to dig for it.

fx77 likes this.
  11. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Remember the mess made of Atlas Shrugged? Was that intentional?

Flying-Dutchman and nursetim like this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot

As long as they don't try to remake Blazing Saddles, they can do whatever they please.

I can't imagine a modern day, politically correct version of this classic.

RovinOn, rugercat78, G19Tony and 8 others like this.
  13. DAKA

DAKA

BLAZING SADDLES is a CLASSIC, There is no way it could be made in today.....Mel Brooks got away with a LOT of stuff that is just so un PC these days

RovinOn, rugercat78, fx77 and 4 others like this.
  14. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Cash dude. "CASH"!

Dr. Bill likes this.
  15. Tvov

Tvov

Similar to the disgrace of Starship Troopers. Actually, the movie Starship Troopers is a not terribly bad science fiction action movie... it just has almost no relation to the classic book.

Worse, is World War Z. It is an amazing book. Would be pretty easy (VERY easy) to make into a series - but they blew their load on a "blockbuster" movie. Again, the movie is actually a very good zombie movie - it just isn't World War Z (if you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it -- trust me, the movie has almost NO spoilers! lol!).

16. CAcop

CAcop

They rehash movies because they own the rights to them. They are already paid for. No need to spend money to buy something, then pay a writer to adapt it to the screen.

nrajeff and G19Tony like this.
  17. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I can’t tell you the last movie that I was actually excited to go see...

Dr. Bill likes this.
  18. evlbruce

evlbruce

Corporate culture at it's worse: A cabal of yes-men clinging to whatever talent or ideas they can suck dry.

19. nerr

nerr

Bleep... and the ....bleep and bleep bleep

Wishoot likes this.
  20. nerr

nerr

Remakes take advantage of the fact that a new generation might be interested as it's new to them. And they can package it as oldies for us oldies.

CAcop likes this.