Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Scooby was diagnosed with cancer last year. It's a mast cell tumor that didn't spread to any organs or beyond the tumor itself. Anyway, surgery couldnt' get it all due to it's attachment to muscle mass, so chemo was started. This went on for months and he was healthy and responded well to treatment, but eventually the tumor came back. The next time the vet was determined to get it all and at the loss of some muscle and skin did. No more chemo he was cancer free.

A month later we noticed two more bumps. This is all on his left rear leg/back area. These were removed and while he was boarded another popped up near his groin area. He was again operated on but they coulnd't get it all, and today two more are showing in the original area. The vet doesn't want to keep operating on him and putting him through that, and believe me neither do I. However, the vet is at a loss he's treated many dogs with these tumors and removed them never to have them come back. I just can't help but think the next surgery would get them all and he could live a couple more years or so (he's 12).

However, as I said, it's been way to rough on him I don't want him to go through that.

And believe me, before anyone chimes in about it, I am not under any delusions about the inevitable outcome due to his age and also others ethical issues with what I am doing. Those arguments are for another thread. He can walk, eat, pee and poo and is as happy as he can be I would never let him suffer extreme pain another second longer if I thought he was in it.

Money is an issue in as much as I only have so much. We are at about $6000 so far. I'm looking for anyone who has had experience with natural treatments that would at a minimum give him as much quality time possible and at best cure him or entirely suppress the tumors from growing and/or spreading.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Mast cell tumors are notorious for spreading, and often difficult to remove completely.

You might want to talk to your veterinarian about antihistamines. They don't cure, but can limit some of the bad effects of mast cell tumors, and have few side effects themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts