close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hollandaise Sauce

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Tennessee Slim, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Posted as an accompaniment to my recipe for Fried Crawdad Cakes (posted separately).

Title: Hollandaise Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
    4 egg yolks (room temperature)
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 lb. butter
    4 Tbsp margarine
    1/2 tsp Tabasco
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire
    2 tsp white wine
    salt to taste
    cayenne pepper (optional)

Melt butter and margarine together; bring to boil. Remove from heat and let cool. After 5 minutes, skin foam from top.

In steel mixing bowl, blend remaining ingredients. Place over steaming (not boiling) water. Never let mixing bowl touch water. Whisk mixture while allowing to warm, 6-8 minutes. Mix should be heated to slightly warmer than room temperature. When egg mixture becomes creamy and develops a sheen, remove from warming. Gently add the butterfat from the top, not the solids from the bottom. Whisk vigorously while adding.

Add enough butterfat to thicken until almost the consistency of mayonnaise. If serving with highly spiced food, add cayenne pepper while whisking until color changes slightly. Serve immediately or keep warm until served.

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I love this stuff, but I can feel my arteries harden after i eat it ;g

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Sometime last fall or winter, I made my wife eggs benedict and served it to her in bed.

Awww

She had never had eggs benedict, (let alone home made from scratch eggs benedict) and was absolutely loving it, enjoying every bite... almost writhing with ecstasy... then she asked how I made it... As I went through the ingredients & how the hollandaise sauce is made she interrupted me ;P
    “A cube of butter?!” she exclaimed “Are you actually telling me I just ate a CUBE OF BUTTER... That's not funny... really what 's in this sauce?”....

me: "A cube of butter"
    ... a lost resigned look on my wife's face as she responds "No wonder this is so good"... ;f

I’ll have to try your recipe – half the butter!

4. PirateShot

PirateShot CalmerThanYou

Am I reading that right, one POUND of butter?!;P

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Edited to conceal my stupidity! ;e

6. Tennessee Slim

Yup. The entire recipe calls for one pound, four quarters, 2.2 kilos, etc. ;3 If that disturbs you, invite a friend so you won't have to eat it alone. ;)

The whole of the pound does not end up in the sauce; the part that coagulates (and is discarded) is the especially virulent part: the butterfat solids; the part you're using is clarified butter.

The full recipe will yield 10-12 servings, depending. I just divide all ingredients by four when cooking for two and usually have enough left for breakfast (not as good after refrigerating but still decadently good).

**DO NOT try to use any diet dairy product in this recipe or you’ll definitely muck up the whole shebang.

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I'm sure that was just a slip, but before someone actually tries it, 2.2 kilos of butter is not 1 pound, it's close to 5 pounds. 1 pound of butter is 0.45 kilo (or 453.6 grams, if you have to be precise).

8. Tennessee Slim

More like a royal foul-up. Mea culpa. My apologies to anyone who tried to mistakenly whip it up with 5 lbs. of butter. Just E-mail me your home address and I'll be right over to help you dispose of the whole wretched mess. ;e

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You should be a politician. ;d