"Holes" in the Glock lineup

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jersey_emt, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jersey_emt

jersey_emt

Looking at the lineup of Glock pistols, it is rather evident that there are a couple of "holes" in the lineup.

Where's the compact 10mm? And the compact .45 ACP?

Where are the "slimline" (single-stack) guns other than the .45 ACP Glock 36? A single-stack 9mm and .40 S&W are gaping holes in the Glock lineup IMO. The market is rich for slim, single-stack EDC pistols in 9mm and .40 S&W. Even the less common calibers (10mm, .357 SIG, .45 GAP) would probably sell well in slim, single-stack versions.

Not as big of a deal, but why are the "competition" (long slide) guns only available in 9mm and .40 S&W?

Here's what I think Glock should come out with next:

Glock 40: Slimline .40 S&W ("Glock 40" needs to be a .40 S&W of course. Although, it'd be absolutely hilarious if the "Glock 40" turned out to be a .22 LR Glock.)
    Glock 41: Slimline 10mm
    Glock 42: Slimline 9mm (42 is "the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything". So it's fitting to have a slim single-stack 9mm -- which would be a huge seller -- as the Glock 42)
    Glock 43: Slimline .357 SIG
    Glock 44: Slimline .45 GAP
    Glock 45: Compact .45 ACP ("Glock 45" needs to be a .45 ACP of course)
    Glock 46: Compact 10mm ("I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46". Well, the 10mm is a more powerful cartridge than the .45 ACP, so it's fitting that the "Glock 46" is a 10mm pistol)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

I would love to see a slimline 10mm. I do think the compact 10mm is actually covered with the G29 since it is not truly a subcompact.

3. ainokea

ainokea

I think a lot of people would love to see single stack models. Especially for the larger frames(G20/G21). Single stack baby glocks would also be great because those sub compacts are small but thick.

4. loki993

loki993

Ill keep saying it and hopefully somebody will listen eventually. I want this gun.

Your right and that probably why they don't make one, but the fact is it has a very short grip. The upper is pretty much the same as a G19, but the lower is definitely more a subcompact. All I want is a 10mm with the same size upper AND lower as a G19. I cant be the only one. If they made it tomorrow, I would go put money down on it tomorrow.

A single stack may be cool as well, but honestly for me If I want a single stack 10mm, Id probably just get a S&W 10XX, but I know there are a lot of people on the board that do really want single stack Glocks.

5. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I believe if there wasn't an AWB we would have seen slimline 9mm and .40 back when the introduced the Glock 26 and 27. Also what about the carbine...

6. legion3

legion3

Not all Glock models sell as well as others. And its always about the $. Glock should be given credit for sticking with all of the guns they have made. The question is what will Glock do if they do decide to make all their US market guns here in the states? This would give them more chance to produce items that could skirt the GCA68. But perhaps Glock is not interested in going to far outside the box.

Has Glock ever completely discontinued a model? Not a generation but a model?

The slimline 36 has always had some knocks against it. It is not from what I have heard a robust seller. The 10mm's sell but not as well as others. To mate them is something Glock must not see a big enough market for. If there is a market it will be built, and Glock even made a gun and a caliber that there was no real market for.

7. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

:thumbsup: I never thought of this before, I'm happy you brought this up, I would love a Glock in 9mm in a Slimline frame so I carry in the pocket with less bulk. The 9mm magazine such be larger then the 36's 6 Rd single stack.

8. oISHUTupNrocKIo

If this was true, don't you think they would of made a 9mm Slimline Glock years ago? :dunno:

9. jersey_emt

jersey_emt

The Glock 17L and Glock 24 were discontinued, replaced by the Glock 34 and Glock 35.

One advantage that Glock has is that the basic design of all their guns are mostly identical. It wouldn't cost much for them to design and introduce additional models to "fill in the holes" that I described.

Even if they don't sell as well as other models, the development costs would probably be so low as to not even really matter. But I would think that a slimline single-stack 9mm and .40 S&W would both be excellent sellers for Glock. I'm very surprised that they did not announce an expansion of their single-stack line at the 2010 SHOT Show.

10. jersey_emt

jersey_emt

A slimline 9mm Glock with the same overall height as the Glock 36 would most likely have a 7+1 capacity. Perhaps 8+1 could be squeezed in, but I don't know.

11. oISHUTupNrocKIo

:thumbsup:

12. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

There are no compact 10mm or .45ACP models because the subcompact versions of those are nearly identical in size to the compact versions of the rest of the Glock lineup.

G29
    Length: 172mm
    Height: 113mm

G30
    Length: 172mm
    Height: 121mm (probably because it ships with a 10-round mag)

Compare to:

G19
    Length: 174mm
    Height: 127mm

G26
    Length: 160mm
    Height: 106mm

The problem with the lineup isn't missing compact 10mm/45ACP - it's that Glock labeled them subcompacts for marketing purposes, and never created true subcompacts in these calibers.

13. oISHUTupNrocKIo

There would be shot/grip extensions, like the G36... so most likely either 8+1 or 9+1 IMO.

14. MarccraM

MarccraM

This is correct... And the reason quite simply that there is no subcompact 45 acp is that if it existed, Glock 39 (GAP) sales would fall to "ZERO" in about 2 seconds :whistling:

15. Ticman

Ticman

I would love to see a tactical version (think G34 and G35) in 357 sig and 10mm. The longer barrel would be a great addition for these two hot rounds. Glock should at least make a 357 sig barrel for the G35.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

This is not an accurate representation of what Glock did, or does. The 34 and 35 were made to "fit in the box" for one of the popular shooting sports organizations. Glock infrequently releases batches of G24s, G24Cs and G17L, as recently as 2006, 2008 and 2009.

There is no long slide .357SIG because hardly anyone wants to be that manufacturer selling a (hand)gun with a round that will defeat the majority of police vests.

'Drew

17. FAS1

FAS1

I would like a slimline version of the g26/g27 to carry when needed instead of a 380 that I currently do.

18. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

The subcompact and G29 - G30 are mainly meant to sell to law enforcement as off-duty for police that use the full size versions of the pistols as their service pistols so ammunition and magazines will interchange. The G36 is about the only Glock really aimed at the American personal defense market in both caliber and size. It doesn't even sell that well for Glock and that might be why they haven't tried other single stack models. Glock still sells the G17L and G24C as uppers. The 357 Sig just isn't popular in competition. Springfield does sell a 5 inch 357 Sig XD. Glock sells a 6 inch G20 barrel for hunting in states that have barrel length regulations for handgun hunting.

19. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Gawd! Not another "Glock should make this" thread.
    Please note that Glock has an enormously successful business model and that old man Gaston is a multi, multi millionaire. He and they are doing just fine right now.

20. MarccraM

MarccraM

Says who?:dunno: