Glock Talk banner

Holding out on the 43

4544 Views 66 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  halfmoonclip
I'm hearing good things about the new gen 5 finish. Anything would be better than the gen 4 finish. I really want a new G43, but I won't have the gen 4 finish. So, I called glock to see when it would be available in the new finish. "No plans to make the G43 with the new finish". So here's the deal. I will not buy a glock until they do. Anyone else feel the same.
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
727 Posts
I'm hearing good things about the new gen 5 finish. Anything would be better than the gen 4 finish. I really want a new G43, but I won't have the gen 4 finish. So, I called glock to see when it would be available in the new finish. "No plans to make the G43 with the new finish". So here's the deal. I will not buy a glock until they do. Anyone else feel the same.
I have a G27 Gen.4 and the finish is fine. I wear it nearly every day and have not noticed any wear on finish, so I don't understand your complaint. Regarding the 43, I'm not interested. One of the things I love about Glock is that your not just purchasing a weapon but a weapons system due to the fact of magazine interchangeability. Like my G27, I carry it with the flush fitting 9rd. mag. and I carry a 15rd. extra mag. in my pocket and in the truck I have a few 22rd. mags. With the single-stack 43 you lose this

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I like the Gen 3 finish more than the Gen 4 finish (which is akin to a parkerized finish without the potential for rust) . My new Gen 4 Glock had scratches on it by the 2nd day while my much older Gen 3 Glock's finish looks brand new . *In the end a Glock will NEVER be a safe queen and is more of a tool than not ...

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
No. If I really wanted a 43 then I would buy a 43. My 26 is the same size but a little thicker and carries more rounds. If I buy a smaller Glock it will be a 42 for pocket carry.

Reactions: jamppp

· Just pixels
3,265 Posts
I’ve posted this before, my gen 5 after just a few range trips. The finish is not magic, and I’ve yet to find any black finish that will not wear. In fact for all the “high tech” coatings, good old hard chrome is likely your best bet if OCD about wear. Lot of places will do a 43 for you for under $100 bucks. Electronic device

· Registered
4,577 Posts
Concur with Ranger; if you must have a wear-proof finish, hardchrome is the stuff, and it looks good too. You don't have the hassle of shipping a gun if you only ship the slide/barrel. Metalife in Reno, PA has done nice work for me.
But I don't worry about it with Glocks. I never toss them on track ballast, but a little wear hurts nothing. There are fancyschmancy guns that have no holster in this house, but there is no shame in using/abusing a Glock.
Moon

Reactions: snowbird.40

· Registered
464 Posts
I have several guns with the "Gen4" finish, including recent purchase Gen3 26 and 20 as well as a 17MOS, 34Gen4, and 43. I also have a 17 and 19 Gen5 as well as a couple Gen3's with the old frying pan finish. They all work and while the Gen5 finish is pretty, it's the only finish I've had any rust... the last 1/2" of the inside of the barrel started to develop light surface rust from AIWB carry. A good cleaning got rid of it and very light lubrication should solve the issue with increased attention, but the Gen5 isn't a solution to everything.

Reactions: snowbird.40

· Registered
6,861 Posts
I have a 43. I admit that it’s not as tough as my fryin pan guns but from what I’ve seen of some the Gen5 stuff I’d say I prefer my 43 just like it is. Well over 2500 rounds through it and it’s finish looks a lot better than some of the Gen5 pics I’ve seen here.

· Registered
85 Posts
I have no problem with the Gen 4 finish but I'm not buying a G43 until Glock makes a factory 7 round mag for it that I can carry as a spare.

The other thing is that I'm hearing bad things about the Gen 5 finish such as that it's too slick and that it's harder for some people to grip the slide, but you can't always believe what you hear. And I'm not buying a Gen 5 either until they get rid of that stupid front magazine cut-out.
I am holding my Gen. 1 (2) G-23 and it has a cutout on the front like people are describing the Gen. 5 G-19.

· Registered
1,616 Posts
The gen4 finish on my two G43s are perfectly fine.

· Registered
276 Posts
I'm also holding out on the G43, forever.

I just don't like the way the little slab side single stack feels in my hand, instead preferring either the Shield in .40S&W:

...or the XDs 3.3 in .45ACP:

...or the Detonics Combat Master in .45ACP:

The above all fit my hand better, and have more pOcKeT pOwEr! than the G43 in 9mm.

It's great to have choices :D
............................................................................................
design and manufacturing: Smith and Wesson vs Glock.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
I don’t see what’s so scary about appendix carry, keep your damn finger off the trigger when holstering! Practice! Pretty hard to have an ND in a kydex holster
I’ve had my t shirt get caught up while holstering AIWB. That’s the real thing to watch out for

No. If I really wanted a 43 then I would buy a 43. My 26 is the same size but a little thicker and carries more rounds. If I buy a smaller Glock it will be a 42 for pocket carry.
19, a 26, and a 42. I don’t see a need for anything more.

· G43 Fanboy
3,453 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but Here shows some holster wear on my G43 after two years.

Considering that this gun has been carried constantly for the last 2 years and practiced with regularly from draw, it does not look really that bad. However, now I know for a fact that the old black coating/finish on my gen 2 G19 and gen 3(?) G26 is more durable than the one on the G43.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Airsoft gun

OP seems to have a lot of confidence in the new gen 5 surface coating/finish. But from what I have read about it and seen photos of its pre-mature wear, I’m not so sure if it is much better....

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.