close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hogue Monogrip Loose

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by J_Rico, Jan 9, 2010.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

Howdy GTers,
    Just bought a used 686 with a hogue monogrip installed. This is my first experience with the monogrip and it wobbles a bit. There was a screw on the bottom of the grip, but it does not seem to have any slack to tighten.

Is there a way to correct this or should I just purchase a new grip? Or is the monogrip supposed to be a bit loose for some reason? My other revolvers either have wood grips or Pachmeyers and none of them have any give like this.
    Thanks,
    WB

2. G36Packer

G36Packer

It should not be loose.

IIRC on my Dan Wesson the bolt that holds the grip uses the same threads as the allen screw that holds in the hammer spring. If the allen screw is backed out too far the grip screw will hit it. The 686 may be the same way.

Another option may be to put a washer between the screw and the grip.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

If the wobble is side-to-side, then a previous owner may have tried to pry the grips off and "sprung" them. They are supposed to slide on/off from the bottom, with the screw removed, but some folks don't know this and try to take them off like "normal" two-piece wood grips. Once the sides have been spread apart too far, they won't grip the frame from the sides and fit properly.

New Hogues aren't too expensive, but if you want the ones with the S&W logo, you may have to buy directly from S&W, where they are probably a bit more spendy.

4. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks for the info.

I should have said it shifts front and back. Not too far but enough to notice.

We are supposed to break freezing tomorrow and I'll go see how much it bothers me when it is fired.

I'll try the washer idea, but I may just start pricing some new grips. Not a big fan of the finger grooves anyway.

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

For front-to-back movement, it usually is a loose mounting screw problem, but you said you checked that. I've seen a few of these grips over the years that had a screw that seemed to be slightly long, and because of this it would pass through the yoke/nut it screws into and bottom-out on the base of the gun's gripframe, before it drew the grip up far enough to be tight. If the base of your gripframe shows any evidence of the tip of the screw hitting it, then you might consider shortening the screw a bit and see if that fixes the problem.

6. J_Rico

J_Rico

Took a closer look at it today and the grip is torn near the screw. So it will need to be replaced.

Thanks for the replies.