Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Motorhead
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working up loads for my .45acp BBI 200gr bullets with Universal since I haven't had much luck finding W231 lately. The loads at 5.0gr seem to function well but tends to leave bits of unburned powder in the gun and on the shooting bench. The gun cycles well and seems reasonably accurate but still pretty snappy compared to my W231 loads.

I've used W231 as low as 4.8gr without any unburned powder, softer recoil and better accuracy. Will bumping the charge of Universal up a bit eliminate the unburned powder? I'm trying to keep the loads soft on recoil for my timed target shooting so I don't want to up the charge unnecessarily.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hodgdon starts their 45ACP/Universal loads for both lead SWCs and Gold Dots at 5.8 grains, so your 5 grains is rather soft. I think I'd increase the powder charge.

·
Pinche ******
7,100 Posts
I bought an 8# jug of Universal when I first started loading. still have about 7# left probably. I have tried several different loads in .45 and .38 and they all seem dirty and they all end up with unburnt powder.

·
Crusty Member
11,208 Posts
It works great in high pressure rounds like 9mm...but my experience so far is Universal is not suited to .45acp, especially if you want lower than factory recoil. I just bought some regular Clays to try out for .45. I'd hoped I could get by with just 1 power for handgun reloading (9mm, .38, .45), but Universal doesn't seem to be the answer to that question.

You could try more powder or shorter OAL to raise the pressure and burn more of the powder.

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
I have seen universal actually have so much unburnt powder that it locked up the action of a .38 snubbie. You could tilt the barrel and powder would pour out. He was loading too light and too long.

·
Motorhead
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I've loaded it in my 9mm using about 4.1 to 4.3 grains and it works great, it just doesn't seem to work in my .45 at all. I also used it in some 38 specials and had some unburnt flakes there jam up the cylinder. I guess I will just relegate that powder for my 9mm loads.

Just this week I picked up a pound of Unique. Have any of you guys had good luck with it in a 45? I just need something to hold me over until I can find W231 again, I'm down to about a half pound now.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Probably been more Unique used in .45's than any other powder. May shoot a little dirtier than what you're use to.

Not the best powder for mouse flatulence loads but you'll like it for mid-range on up. Some don't like the way it meters but it really doesn't present any problems.

Jack

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
I've loaded a 200 grn plated bullet in the 45acp with Universal. My charge is 6.1 grains, even at that there is a little room on the upside. This load has cycled fine in 3 different 45s. My 2nd loading is 5.1 grns of Titegroup, same bullet.

·
Motorhead
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I opened up my jar of Unique today and made up some test loads. I loaded both 6.0 grains and 5.6 grains under my 200gr BBI bullets and will try and test them out this weekend. Boy, that Unique sure is some coarse looking powder, looks sort of like small gravel. I had to really open up my powder measure to get 6 grains to drop too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.