hog meat ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by yobos4vr, Aug 27, 2005.

1. yobos4vr

yobos4vr

going hog hunting in a couple weeks and was told they have a proccessor onsite and price could vary on what i wanted. so what's the best meat to get from the hog?

2. noway

noway

If it's and older hog and a boar, grind it all up and make link or bulk sausages out of it.

if it's a younger hog or sow, than you can trim the meat into what ever cuts you want. The grain is much coarser than domestic pork and the meat has less fat than domestic pork. So marinade it and baste it with additional marinade to keep it from drying out.

Also be very cautious of brucellois and thrinois (sp?) so cook the meat to a internal temo if no less than 160deg ( 180 would be better )

3. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

all of it will be good.

just quarter the hog.

1.) cut out the back strap and grill it like a pork chop.

2.) ribs - grill them over low heat with lots of BBQ sauce.

3.) ham and sholders. - I like to cut into chuncks. Cook in a crock pot or on the grill with low heat over a pizza pan in an oven bag. Put in lots of onions and other fav veggies. You can just eat it like roast or shred it after cooking, mix with sauce and turn it into some of the best tasting BBQ ever.

Good luck.

4. Weston

Weston

add lots of seasoning to that boar sausage.

5. noway

noway

actually pre-field handling helps alot also.

> I always field dress ASAP

> remove all sex glands and wipe any blood up

> use washing gloves and discard after touch internal organs when handling the carcass

> water chill & soak meat in 40 parts water to 1 part vinegar for 2-3days or till meat has turn slightly whitish-pink keep water chill with blocks of ICE or bags of Ices.

> store cooler inside and away from heat and out of the sun and your cooler should not need a refresh for about 2-4 days depending on make and type.

> vaccum sealer or remove all of the air when freezing

All of the above action helps to remove any boar taint,blood and pre-tenderize the meat. Wild Hog meats is nothing like store bought pork. So marinade and add seasoning where required. ;)

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

This is really good advice.

The last time I shot a boar hog I did this soaking almost by accident.

I shot a hog on Sunday and didn't get what was left of him in the freezer unil the next Friday night (5 full days later).

The meat was stored in a cooler and new ice was added morning and night with water being drained off daily.

The blood was completely removed, the meat was already frozen from the ice and he tasted alot better than you'd think a mature boar should.