Glock Talk banner

Hog hunting with a model 21

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  noway 
#1 ·
I had a buddy ask me to go with him to his hunting club to help him get rid of some hogs.
I have a stock model 21. Is there anything I should do to it before I go? Like a laser site?

#2 ·
bring a rifle or shotgun or borrow one at minimal. If you hunting with dogs and have the hog bayed & held down, the 45acp would be okay.

I personally would go with a 12ga and buckshot 00/000 or dixie-tri-balls. I never lost a hog when using a good 12ga load.

#6 ·
I agree.

I brought my G30 along as a backup full of ball rounds, but my primary last time out was a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. Other guys had a .30-06 and a .45-70. Wild hogs "can" be easy kills, but don't underestimate them.

#7 ·
Hardball is good to carry in the field. I have found that the DT and BB FMJ flat points are the hottest on the market. If your Glock does not like the flat points DT also loads 230 ball at the same velocity. They do hit harder than standard ball but not really sure if the extra velocity is necessary for a hog back up. They do penetrate deeper in wood than standard ball. Others may have more information on this subject than me when it comes to hogs.

#8 ·
bring a rifle or shotgun or borrow one at minimal. If you hunting with dogs and have the hog bayed & held down, the 45acp would be okay.

I personally would go with a 12ga and buckshot 00/000 or dixie-tri-balls. I never lost a hog when using a good 12ga load.
Noway, what about a 1.5 ounce deer slug from a Rem 870 for smaller hogs?

#9 ·
Noway, what about a 1.5 ounce deer slug from a Rem 870 for smaller hogs?
anything from a shotgun outside of birdshot should do a trick. This year I'm sticking with 00 and 000B and probably will use a hevishot for both.

Just realize your distance and accuracy regardless if you throw out big pellets or one big slug.

fwiw: I've only lost one hog due to buckshot. Shotguns are very effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.