close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hog hunting season

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by buffalo soldier, Aug 11, 2003.

1. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

Have an opportunity to book a spot & stalk hunt for mid-December at Tejon Ranch and am wondering about the likely conditions and 'fun factor'.

What should I expect during a Winter hunt versus an early Summer hunt (meat quality, difficulty of hunt, weather)? Intend to use a handgun (10mm) and gunning for a meat pig.

I've already booked a June '04 hunt and ideally would hunt in September/October, but the earliest possibility at Tejon is Dec. 03.

Any recommendations for quality guided hunts in southern California otherthan Tejon Ranch?

Thanks,
    Buffalo

2. noway

noway

In my state the hogs season is open 12months, no license is needed on private sponsored hunts. Best time in the year is in the cooler months and after the rain-season.

suggestion: if you are going on a guided-hunt it would best to ask the guide. Most truely good guide services almost surely offer you a "shot" vrs you tracking out into the field and hunting on your own.

Stalking is more of a miss or hits unless you are familiar with the land and movement of the hogs.

3. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

Thanks for the info Noway,

Yeh, I've booked a guided hunt and trust he/she will get me into position for a shot...the rest is up to me.

So....cool weather and post rainy season is the best times. Thanks

Buffalo

4. noway

noway

{So....cool weather and post rainy season is the best times. Thanks}

talk with you're guide s/he will tell you when it is best., but every guide that runs the dogs have told me , their dogs pick up the scent better when the ground is a little bit drier and the fields aren't floodedor have big standing water.

It's also much drier on the hunter also.
    :cool: