close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hog hunting near Dallas...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ECVMatt, Jun 12, 2003.

1. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

I have a good friend on the Red River about 1 1/2 hours north of Dallas who might be setting up some pig hunting with knives over dogs. I was back there last month and caught one by hand and killed some more with my Glock 20. He is considering opening this up to others. He does not want to have the customers use guns as he is concearned about his dogs. I have killed quite a few with knives and can attest to the fact that it is exciting a relatively safe. I do not have a fixed date for the start of his hunts, but wanted to see if any one out there might be interested. If you have any specific questions you can email them to me at matt.rohrer@verizon.net . For those of you who remember the old sixgunner.org site, this is the same ranch where I got the 325 pounder and five other hogs.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Matt

Credo Quia Absurdum!

2. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

What kind of knife are you using?

3. noway

noway

The knife and better yet "spear" combo here in Florida is a big hit up in the central parts.

You still have to worry about the dogs backing down so that you can spear the hog. Definetely a challenge and not a method for a person whos afraid of blood.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

This is interesting. Here's a few general questions:

-How physical is it? I'm game for whatever, but I'm wondering if my dad could partake.

-How big are these "caught by hand" fellers? I'm trying to picture myself using a spear against that 700lb pig from another thread.

-What kind of dogs do you use?

-Is there a backup to the spear?

5. noway

noway

-How physical is it? I'm game for whatever, but I'm wondering if my dad could partake.

a young male that has 100% function of his peripherals can do it. if you dad is fit and in good health, I would say go for it. My dad couldn't do it

-How big are these "caught by hand" fellers? I'm trying to picture myself using a spear against that 700lb pig from another thread.

A small size hog less than 50lbs can easily be picked up by the rear leg if corner and pinned, I myself would NOT attempt to spear a 700lb pounder

-What kind of dogs do you use?

They have special dogs raised to sniff out hogs and the bark when one is Bay'd or cornered.Some are actually mutts or mixed with pitbull, mastiff or other breeds. My family had a Beagle German sheperd mix that was good at running Javelina, it might could have ran a medium size hogs,the more dogs less work per dog, more safer for the dogs and the hog is probably more confused since it has multiple targets to look at. Alot of these dogs get hurt in the proccess, some actually die, so don't let PETA heard about. A few states had people wanting to bring bans aganist this and make it illegal

-Is there a backup to the spear?

I would have a backup spear,knife,gun,etc...........you betcha!

I've never part taken of a hog spearing but have seen the aftermath of one. Not a clean method. You will get bloody. The one guy I watched do this with a 100lb hog and it looked like he was actually speared from the amount of blood on him. I perfer the good old bullet method, much safer for the shooter and might even be more of a quick kill for the hog, if you missed on don't get a good thrust.

6. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

The area hunted is fairly rough and swampy terrian. If a long hunt is expected, we generally ride mules. The hand caught pigs generally run around 200 to 300 lbs. Anything bigger than that is ussually shot. Most of the boys carry a handgun for back up and would let you do the same. If a bigger hog 300+ was incountered, then they would allow the hunter to shoot it.

best reguards,

Matt

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Man!!

I am going to humble myself here and say.... "I must be way behind the heard!" Just goes to show ya, no matter how old, and wise you think you are.. somethin "new" pops up, and blows ya away!

Working on a ranch, you have to bulldog down some pretty hefty steers for branding etc, when the 'squeeze shute' isn't handy. This can be a chore, of course it is mostly all day long.

But this is a "FIRST" for me! Bulldoggin hogs!

I wonder now, what it might be like roping them of horseback, like a calf or steer, and running down the rope and stabbin the sucker to death!?

'Part' of the ranch operation are hogs, (domestic of course), maybe i need some practice!

We need some of you boys as cowhands! You sound tuffer than a boot! :)

Good luck!

CanyonMan

8. noway

noway

{what it might be like roping them of horseback}

That would be even a bigger challegene at least here in SOFLA. With the terrain being clutter and that a hog can just about run into anything that a horse can't you will have a BIG problem. They try to get out of open areas really quick, so unless you are a good roper and get one in wide area and get on them quick, it would seem very hard.

And the fact that most hogs shoulder-neck height isn't as tall as a calf of mature cow.

I have heard of people running horse after hogs and that was mainly due with keeping up with the dogs. ( alot of the older folks don't like doing the walking & running when you have a pack of dogs chasing down a hog so a horse orother means of travel is used )

9. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

ECVMatt:

That is a nice offer.

I've always "heard" about pig hunting with spears. Knew it was bloody and certainly that you could lose your dog. Guess the key is breed or adopt medium sized dogs with good reflexes and an attitude to be good pig hunters.

If I were closer to Texas, I'd love to come by but the job is hot and heavy. If Boeing would pick Texas for the new airplane project, I'd have an excuse to visit. Dallas should have been our world headquarters - sorry - not my decision. I was all for it with all of your lovely hunting opportunities if you know people.

Somebody better contact him on the hog hunt offer! We need to keep connected and nothing bonds us better than a hunting/camping/hiking trip.

Dogs, hogs and spears - oh my!

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway...

Somehow, i don't picture myself riding through the everglades ,or swaps etc, trying to rope a hog. :) I'm pretty much a prairie, and canyon person. swamps make me a litle nervous.

Im'pretty good with the rope, but trying to rope a cow or a steer in the brush is plenty, i cannot fathom trying to do this with a porker.
    I'd give it a try, if the opportuinty arose for me though.

But, i don't expect to see many here in W. Tex. 'not on our place that is....' the land our family has in Tennessee, covers many , many thousands of acres, haven't been there enough to know if there is hogs on it or not... may go this summer and take care of some things, and have a look around...Guess a better not forget my rope! :)

Actually, i'll leave all this cave man stuff to you boys..
    I think i'll just stick with the 45/70. :)

y'all have fun!

CanyonMan