Hog Hunters (FL or GA) Are Hogs Safe To Eat?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by joeG26er, Jul 27, 2018.

1. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

I'm in NE FL as well. Moved here 3 years ago and have also been curious about the quality of hog meat. i haven't hunted it mainly because I don't know if it's safe to eat.

Some of the folks I talk to tend to think that the smaller ones are okay for consumption. The meat is less gamey and tough as well.
    Small around here seems to be anything under 80 lbs.
    Others will kill the hogs but not eat them for health reasons. I haven't found a consensus on whether it's safe or not, but I'll keep asking.

When I lived in NV I shot a couple jackrabbits and they were naaaaasssssttttyyyyyy. Wormy, hurl your breakfast, gray meat (if you can call it that) nasty. Wouldn't eat them if I was subsisting on water and crackers for a week.

2. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

What's a helicopter hog? :p

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
  4. RustyL

RustyL

People pretty much eat any size hog here, I hear. I have never hog hunted and hear they are in abundance. Pretty much free to kill as long as any hunting season is in, refuges are a safe zone for them at the moment.

5. jstrange

jstrange

[​IMG]

nursetim, porschedog, ScottMn and 5 others like this.
  6. thewitt

thewitt

Your kitchen freezer will not kill pathogens. It doesn’t get cold enough. All your home freezer will do is slow them down.

7. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

If they look anything like this, stay away from them,

[​IMG]

8. jayglocker

jayglocker

You have to be armed with a long stem thermometer. 165 deg. F is the magic number to kill the trichinosis on the meat and measure at different area and depth. I loved to cook the whole head. Scald it with boiling water and start scrapping with a dull knife. Sea salt and pepper and slow bake at 210 deg. F for maybe 5-6 hours. Any brand of hot sauce will do. The ears are crunchy on the outside but chewy on the inside.

9. thewitt

thewitt

I’ve eaten plenty of wild hog. Just remarking that the freezer is not an effective killer of pathogens. Trichina is not the only concern.

10. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

You have no idea about the history of the pork chop you buy at the store. Domestic Hog Farms can be the most horrible places on earth. The slaughter and packing houses are a Night Mare too often.
    I will take free roaming animals that I butcher. Ever critter you eat has likely had some parasites. :drillsgt:

11. Karambit777

Karambit777

Here in Tennessee, wild hog is a highly desired pork. Especially in East Tennessee. So much so, this is the first time I have ever heard anyone question whether or not they are worthy of table fair; with the exception of older boar hogs.

Plus, according to the USDA, ALL pork contains some form of parisites. Correct cooking temp is vital for any of it.

Deltic likes this.
  12. Paul7

Paul7

Not talking about my kitchen freezer, my big deep freeze at -5 deg. will kill trichinella in 25 days, so will cooking to 140 deg. Next problem.

13. Paul7

Paul7

Exactly, as said before in this thread, over half of store pork is contaminated.

14. gunowner1

gunowner1

When I was a kid in Jupiter,FL. we had three pigs we raised for meat. My dad didn't butcher them,the butcher picked em up and we picked up everything packaged. Anyway, there was a small,wild hog hanging around our hog pen and we managed to catch him and throw him in with our pigs. He got slaughtered with the rest and we ate him. No one got sick. We also learned that when building a hog pen the boards should be nailed on the inside as pigs rub on everything.

porschedog likes this.
  15. Paul7

Paul7

It is mainly questioned by people who have never eaten wild hog, repeating old wives tales. Still waiting to hear of an example of someone harmed by eating properly cooked wild hog.

16. porschedog

porschedog

I’ve had wild hog around 40-50 pounds in size and it was fine. I have shot a big ol boar that the dogs chased into a palmetto thicket and nobody else wanted to go in to get them out. He was not eaten(by us anyway), but his head made a nice trophy mount for the guide

17. Paul7

Paul7

A chased hog won't be as good.

porschedog likes this.
  18. Crehtu

Crehtu

I ve hunted boar for 30 years and ate plenty of them. True that the smaller they are the tastier they are but someone who knows how to prepare boar meat can make delicious sausages and meat as tender as veal. It's all in what you know.

Granted most of the hogs i ve hunted wwre overseas, but it s just the same. Wold hogs actually eat clean. What grows in the forest that isn t organic? They also feed on crops... The only bad is when they get close to civilization and feed out of dumpsters.

So you should at least do a trichinosys test before consuming the meat.

Bear on the other hand, unless you shoot it in the middle of Alaska, they all feed out of the dumpster and many do test positive for trichinosys

19. Fla Trooper 265

Fla Trooper 265

I have eaten wild hog all my life. I live in North Fla. Any wild hog under 100 pounds male or female can be good to eat. It may smell wild when you cook it but it will taste good. Also wear rubber gloves when you clean them. They can carry disease's that can get into you system through a cut in your skin. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  20. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

When I lived in Tx there was a local guy who wanted me to bring the piggies I shot to his place so he could butcher them. Normally, I just tossed them into the burn pit. He said to only bring him the little ones (under 50#). He used to give me a couple pounds of bacon now and then.... it was good. :)