Hog Hunters (FL or GA) Are Hogs Safe To Eat?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by joeG26er, Jul 27, 2018.

1. joeG26er

joeG26er Millennium Number 1143 Millennium Member

Hog Hunters (FL or GA) Are Hogs Safe To Eat?

I am in NE FL and have heard some say they are "full of worms" and not to eat them

2. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

I wouldn't. Why take the risks?
    Wild hogs scavenge areas you don't know about. They're considered unclean meat in the old days, and there's biological reasons:

The digestive system of a hog is unique in that it metabolizes food very quickly through one stomach in a process that takes about four hours. A cow takes 24 hours to digest what's eaten, and it is able to get rid of excess toxins during the digestive process. The hog's digestive system doesn't allow for this, and the toxins are carried into the fat cells and organs of the pig itself.

Hogs also do not have sweat glands. Perspiration is a key method that the body uses for detoxification, and the hog is not designed to perspire. When we consume wild hog meat, we get all of these pathogenic microorganisms and environmental toxins into our system. That presumed that farm raised hogs/pigs are much better fed with cleaner foods, at least better controlled.

This is about long term and extended consumption of the meat, not one in awhile taste of it.

pjanthony and Borg Warner like this.

3. quasii

quasii

My rule of thumb is anything over 40lbs stays on the ground for the "coyote cafe"...

4. Tvov

Tvov

I have never had wild hog or hunted it, but I am very much want to.

I have heard much more people say it is safe and they love eating. So I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

MO Fugga likes this.
  5. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

They are good table fare around these parts, as long as you don't get a boar that is chasing and not too big. They can get rather rank and it seems to soak in to the meat.
    I can't say for your AO, but the wild stuff is much more tasty and a different look, color and grain then the domestic stuff.

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Smaller hogs, living in and around orange groves or farm fields, and hogs that are being fed (baited) are good.

porschedog, arkdweller22 and quasii like this.
  7. joeG26er

Where are you located

8. joeG26er

Where are you located and what do you consider as small?

9. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I am in Florida (hence the orange groves) and small to us is 50 lbs or less;

We aren't so much hunting hogs around here as we are exterminating them as nuisance wildlife; the bigger wild hogs killed (as opposed to the ones people dog hunt, capture live and fatten) are often left where they fall for the scavengers; Hogs are not native, and they are a destructive influence on the environment .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I always wanted to do the helicopter hog hunting,

11. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith Shootist

Have hogs hit Indianapolis yet? I heard of a small population in Southern Indiana 20 some years ago.

Have they spread, or did we wipe 'em out?

Regards,
    Josh

12. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

East Texas, but they seem to be edible all over the state. Under 150 is "Small", but I guess if you wanted to roast the wole thing, piglets would be OK.
    Swine can be succeptible to whip worms, round worms and a few others in the entestines, but I hven't seen or heard of they wild population suffering from this. Not inprobable though.
    They are such a neusance that people leave them laying Donating them is too much trouble any more. Too far below the staqndards of the needy, as I understand.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  13. Paul7

Paul7

So was lobster, so what?

With all due respect, this is a load of BS. A wild hog is an organic, free-range animal, with MUCH more flavor than store pork. Here's a link that says 69% of store pork is contaminated, not even counting the hormones and antibiotics they give them. https://www.forbes.com/sites/melani...es-unsafe-consumer-reports-says/#4d61536871ae

They have to give them all that junk since they are sick so much, standing shoulder to shoulder in their own waste. Compared to wild pork, store pork to me is pale and tasteless. I would rather eat a wild hog any day, and in Europe lots of high end restaurants, especially in Germany and Northern Italy, serve wild boar. Americans just aren't very adventurous eaters. Another myth is they are full of worms, I'm killed 25+ and have never seen one with worms. I prefer ones under 100 lbs. (even a store pig wouldn't be good if it was old). People who say they don't like wild pork either don't know how to handle it in the field or how to cook it. You need to get the hide off in 30 minutes, and cook it low and slow, i.e. 225 degrees for six+ hours.

You stated a lot of scientific jargon on why hogs are dangerous to eat, show me some cases where someone was harmed by eating properly cooked wild pork.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  14. Cfish

Cfish

We kill and eat a lot of "organic" pigs in north FL. They're great eating and I have never seen one full of worms. Of course I wouldn't eat pigs shot near a landfill or other nasty places.

Deltic, porschedog, Quijibo and 2 others like this.
  15. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Yes. And similarly, there will always be an idiot somewhere who will continue to squeeze the triggers on 3D printed gun, aka self inflicted hand grenade.

I wouldn't waste time to convince them otherwise. Free country, heh?

16. Paul7

Paul7

Don't know what a 3D gun is, but I take it you don't have any evidence of harm from eating a properly cooked wild hog?

DaleGribble likes this.
  17. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

The guys around Galveston Bay feed their families with wild Pork. I've eaten a ton of it and prepared properly, it tastes great!

The pigs are iced down and salted in coolers for as many as 10 days before butchering. Best size for our hunters is about what fits in a giant sized cooler. An extra big pig is hoisted up and split in two with a reciprocating saw.

That wild pork is some of the best tasting meat that I've ever had!

Flash

-JCN- and Tvov like this.
  18. Paul7

Paul7

Even the big ones are good if make into sausage and smoked summer sausage.

Cfish likes this.
  19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

XLNT answer. An daddition to you diclaimer of "This is about long term and extended consumption of the meat, not one in awhile taste of it." --I'm also thinking that in my experience you can't really "overcook" pork especially if it's got some fat in it. so if you cook it long enough I would think you'd get rid of some of the toxins and/or parasites.

Rellik likes this.
  20. Paul7

Paul7

I'm still waiting for evidence that long term evidence of eating properly cooked pork is dangerous.

BTW, the deep freeze will probably kill any bugs before you even cook it. Remember a lot of store pork is also contaminated and needs to be completely cooked.

Dog Soldier, Quijibo and RustyL like this.