Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you spend a lot of money on your hobbies? Or have you gotten to the point where you have everything you need to enjoy your passion? Do you buy new stuff or pick up used equipment? Have you quit any hobbies due to budget constraints? Or, do you feel immersing yourself in whatever hobby you have "pays off" and it's all a great investment?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Well I like building cars and that can be expensive but I also like to do everything myself and I like to see how thrifty I can be. So being cheap but doing the job right has become a hobby in it self. I'm the same way with my gun hobby.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I used to burn through $50-60K and year racing Karts, and had the time of my life. Racing just became too time consuming, so know I just rent a Formula Mazda
or equivalent a few times and year when I feel the need.

I never sat down to look at what my guns and ammo cost a year,and don't want to know what I spend on wine, but more than I did racing.

I don't regret spending whatever on my hobbies, because they get me out of work mode when I need them too. That's all that matters to me.

·
6,997 Posts
Shooting. Good stuff costs money.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I only wish my hobbies could make ME money somehow. Several years down the road I look back and say, "what the heck happened to all that money".

·
Banned
5,038 Posts
one of our biggest hobbies is camping and hiking , thankfully we have had all the gear we need for awhile , id say i got bout 5 grand worth of camping, hiking stuff.

i also collect some custom knives , which i have cut down on , own about 100

ive collected watches since i was a teenager but have sold off alot , ive got my holy grail watch , and now i got over a 100 i think . i forget

as far as guns , ive got what iwant but trade and sell alot when one gets bored but im not a gun collector at all , i got 5 handguns , and about 10 rifles .

me and wife now just do fun stuff , and spend thrifty , we are not hurting for money at all but our objectives and passion for stuff have changed . i walk away from alot of items i wold have bought years ago , now we are not to big on objects as we are just going thru life best we can and stop and smell the roses.

it hit me when my best friend dropped dead of heart attack halloween 09 , it changed me mentally and physically . enjoy life

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to be one of those golfers that would buy the latest and greatest stuff hoping it would improve my game. Then, I invested in lessons with a Pro, not some wannabe either, and EVERYTHING came together. Now I blow my golf money (and winnings) on golf shoes and clothes and liquor.

I used to get new skis every season...now, being in Florida, it's not worth it.

I stopped sailing because I was "this close" to buying something obnoxious...now, I just rent a boat.

·
Searching
9,188 Posts
The only hobby I continue to put money into is r/c flying. It's more of a distraction than a passion, although I was huge on it as a teen. Probably why I chose it as a distraction.

Golf, shooting and other hobbies - I pretty much have what I need, although I would love a new 10.5 Taylormade 460.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
For some reason, my hobbies seem to require a good deal of money- at least occasionally. Collecting guns, camping trips, travel- only reading seems to come cheap these days.

·
Freelancer
9,789 Posts
Freelance writing for RPGs and wargames gives me a steady enough supply of "this is the money I can waste on RPGs and wargames" that it's worked out nicely for me these last few years.

·
Registered
13,476 Posts
not sure i really want to know the total, but my shooting budget is over 10,000 a year. add in a few new guns and it really jumps up.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I pretty much have what I need, although I would love a new 10.5 Taylormade 460.
Did you know I'm a USGTF instructor? While that is no incredible accomplishment, it gets me deep discounts, perks and the like. Our PGA merchandise show in Orlando is a golfers wet dream!

Maybe you'll get one for Valentines Day. (A Taylor Made, not a wet dream.)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've recently gotten into shooting after I curbed my world of warcraft addiction. I find it's alot more expensive, and the enjoyment/dollar ratio doesn't really stack together, but it's something the fiance can enjoy with me, so I still win. Also, it has life-long practical applications.

I do spend alot of money on it though, I need to get into reloading, but I fear that in itself will be an expensive hobby.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I quit restoring vintage cars, because of the cost. It's a rich man's hobby for sure.
Now, I collect WWI and WWII battle rifles and handguns. Another hobby that can get out of control, if you don't exercise some constraint.

·
Registered
98 Posts
not sure i really want to know the total, but my shooting budget is over 10,000 a year. add in a few new guns and it really jumps up.
$800 a month?

Mine are:
- Building cars (starting to get away from it completely)
- Guns
- Golf

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Jeep is getting about $1,200 worth of stuff added on to it. That's a hobby I suppose because I need that ride to tow a waverunner...carry bikes...probably a sit on top kayak, etc. If I decide to go up to Vt., I'll need a ski carrier, etc.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

ive collected watches since i was a teenager but have sold off alot , ive got my holy grail watch , and now i got over a 100 i think . i forget
Ash, not to go too far off thread, but what is that watch? :wavey:

1 - 20 of 133 Posts